how do you get the edges to lay down natural/trans

FineChyna

is there any type of gel or something that can get the short pieces around the hairline to lie down? i cannot figure it out for the life of me. currently i am experienting with headbands and hair scarves but after awhile that style does get old. this is really stressful to me since i have no choice for now but to wear my hair in ponytails. i've tried 2 different types of gel and the hair lies down for a few hours then is starts sticking up. the hair is only about 1in to 2 in long and its at the very begining of my hairline. can someone help me out.

seesh if my hairline could look like this daily minus the color i'd be set:

Lucia

Maybe the brentwood salon care aloe vera gel you can get it at Sally's, or you could use african shea butter in the bottle-I use that and brush or smooth down w/ your hands.
WOW Is that Beyonce with the beautiful natural hair?

loverofnaps71

Try African Botanigel Hair Builder. It costs about $10 from "smileherb.com" I buy mines from there and bought my sister a tub, too! It works wonders! No buildup, flakes, alcohol, hardness. It gives the hair shine, not dullness and is made with all natural oils and products. It also helps hair growth back on the sides...especially those little hairs that stick up. Good luck and hope you decide to try this product. It's fantastic!!!

inthepink

What works for me is using a mixture of gel and pomade. Then, putting on a scarf snugly for an hour or two. Works like a charm for me. My gel of choice is Fantasia Frizz Buster Straightening gel mixed in my hand with Motions Shine Enhancing Pomade.

After I wash and do the gel/scarf trick, I don't have to redo it until I wash my hair again, 3 days later. I just sleep with a scarf (loosely) at night. This does require that you don't manipulate the hair in front much. I usually re-do my braidout at night but I avoid messing with the front of my hair at all costs!

I'm transitioning and this is something that took a few months of trial and error to finally get just right.

I hope this helps!

FineChyna

[ QUOTE ]
Lucia said:
Maybe the brentwood salon care aloe vera gel you can get it at Sally's, or you could use african shea butter in the bottle-I use that and brush or smooth down w/ your hands.
WOW Is that Beyonce with the beautiful natural hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that is beyonce. although the pony is a phony this is the only pic were i think her natural hair looks decent next to the one of her and jay-z on vacation if that was her natural hair.

thank you ladies for the recommendations cause i was really getting upset over this. i'm not sure why the heck my hair is standing up-whether is the rough texture of those fine hairs or because they are short or maybe both. either way it was driving me insane.

FineChyna

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
I like Smooth n Shine Gellation (I've only used the pink and the clear one). It holds w/o leaving the hair crispy crunch. On particularly humid days I'll also use Elasta QP Glaze .

Edited to add:
I apply the products to wet hair and tie my edges down with a scarf for about 15 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

how does it change the texture of your hair? if it actually does that?

description:
Super-Hold Styling Gel- protein and vitamin enriched. This protein-rich alcohol-free styling gel actually improves the texture of your hair, giving you conditioning, polishing and unlimited styling...all in the convenience of a single product! Super-Hold Power allows you to shape and hold your style with long-lasting control. Protein and Vitamin Enriched- nourish and repair the hair with essential moisture and vitamins lost in chemical processing and heat styling. Polishing Formula- Smoothes, conditions and adds high glossy shine to frizzy dull or damaged hair. Directions: Apply to damp or dry hair and style as desired.
Price: $ 3.29

oh and lastly when you want to take your hair down nightly can that be done with these gel suggestions ladies or do you need to rinse your hair. some gel gets ultra hard. thanks again

inthepink

My method leaves my hair very soft to the touch and since i only use the gel once before washing, i don't get a lot of build-up. (Sometimes, I redo the gel/scarf trick the night before wash day if I'm going somewhere and want it to look a little fresher.)

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
FineChyna said:
how does it change the texture of your hair? if it actually does that?

description:
Super-Hold Styling Gel- protein and vitamin enriched. This protein-rich alcohol-free styling gel actually improves the texture of your hair, ...

This protein-rich alcohol-free styling gel actually improves the texture of your hair,

[/ QUOTE ]

That ad copy is a little, ermm.....

I guess they're referring to the wheat protein, biotin, panthenol, etc...

[ QUOTE ]
oh and lastly when you want to take your hair down nightly can that be done with these gel suggestions ladies or do you need to rinse your hair. some gel gets ultra hard. thanks again

[/ QUOTE ]

This one didn't get hard on my hair even when I wasn't rinsing daily. But I would always dampen my hairline before applying it.

Pookie25

Here is what I do:
First, I use any and all kind of gel as long as it says super hold. I wet my boar brush with water and brush the gel in my hair and then I put one more layer of gel on my hair. I then put on a headband for twenty minutess.

ChocoKitty

I dab on some Lekair cholesterol and wrap the edges with a "silky" textured scarf overnight or for few minutes in the morning. Another idea it to try using a toothbrush to coax the little hairs into place with a gel of your choice.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
I like Smooth n Shine Gellation (I've only used the pink and the clear one). It holds w/o leaving the hair crispy crunch. On particularly humid days I'll also use Elasta QP Glaze .

Edited to add:
I apply the products to wet hair and tie my edges down with a scarf for about 15 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA!
I think the trick for smooth edges is to tie them down while they are wet with a little bit of product. It works like a charm for me. I used this method to smooth my edges to create my red afro puff in my album.

Tlisa86

I conditioner wash my hair nightly, using Lekair cholestral conditioner. I then add protein styling gel to my edges that is alcohol free and brush my hair up with a boar bristle brush, I proceed to put in a phony pony and tie up my hair with a scarf overnight. In the morning, I have a nice wave pattern. I was shocked at first because I have thick 4a/b hair, but the outcome is great.

babyblue

i apply the fantasia ic gel with sparklelites to a damp hairline(just spritz with water) smooth it over, brush it down and apply a scarf for 10 minutes and my hair line is very smooth after wards

Karonica

*taking notes*

I use Fantasia, but after a while, my hair dries wavy. I wanted to get it straight, but I see that the key is tying it down. No wonder when I get curly upsweeps done at the salon, the stylists always tie that tissue around the edges for extra sleekness.

FineChyna

[ QUOTE ]
AFashionSlave said:
[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:

Edited to add:

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA!
I think the trick for smooth edges is to tie them down while they are wet with a little bit of product. It works like a charm for me. I used this method to smooth my edges to create my red afro puff in my album.

[/ QUOTE ]

alot of people keep saying that but that trick only worked ONCE and it took too long for it to official set in and work. thats why i am just looking for a strong gel product. because i am very active the headband thing isn't gonna work. if you knew what i did in a day you would understand why the head band idea doesn't work on my hair for more than 1hr

thanks everyone for the product recommendations

Karonica

I tried Smooth-n-Shine Gel for my edges (I'm transitioning), and I must say, this is my new fave. I put some on my dry edges this morning, and my hair is still laying down in the position I gelled it in. No flyaways or anything. This one is lighter than Fantasia and smells like Kool-Aid.

The funny thing is, I had this product around the house for sometime, but recall not liking it, because it didn't do much for my relaxed hair.

I'll be using this one for now.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Peachtree turned me on to the Smooth n Shine Gel. I had seen it on the shelf before, but I thought it was just another one of those sticky, crunchy gels. When I picked up the jar I realized it was almost like a liquid. I like the smell, too.
Good stuff!

Peachtree

Hey Sassy

I'll agree, Smooth n Shine is awesome
It has a nice "gentle" hold. However, I'm luving ur Proclaim Activator Gel too.

Sorry FineChyna, I can't help u too much
... my edges always dry wavy, no matter how tight or long I keep the satin tie on
. I just gave in