I keep my braids in for 7-8 MONTHS

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Wow that sounds like a future disaster... I pity the fool

Aviah

Thing is these are not micros. They're just bigger than pencil, like bic pen sized braids. I really don't know but she says shes done it before. She's also a lovely girl, but in terms of hair practice, that is bizarre....

ToyToy

I had a friend who used to do this. They looked such a hot mess. I don't remember her washing them either, but maybe she did. I can't go longer than 6-8 weeks. 8 weeks is *really* pushing it.
Plus, there's nothing like the look of fresh braids :grin:!!

Geminigirl

I just experienced this with my braids. Before when I was younger I'd go for a long time without washing, thinking the itching was normal. But this time around even with me caring for my hair, keeping my hair braided for 2 months was tough. I actually redid my whole head less than a month after my first set, and I was still dying.

I worked with this girl who used to do the gelled back micros too. Her real texture was so pretty I didn't know why she just didn't wear her hair out or wash and care for it more often,but people are gonna do what they want. A lot of black females are lazy when it comes to hair care and caring for their hair because they don't see the point.

Nonie

Ahem...*taps mike*...I've had my braids in since April 2009, which would make this tenth month. :eek: Like OP's buddy I wash my braids :look: and my braids are clean and neat and not matted. Honest!

The difference between me and homegirl is I do my own braids and redo them as they get loose. That allows me to remove any shed hair and ensure no matting at the base. I also don't use any products besides those used during the wash, so that also eliminates residue buildup/dirt matting that can occur.

beans4reezy

Ahem...*taps mike*...I've had my braids in since April 2009, which would make this tenth month. :eek: Like OP's buddy I wash my braids :look: and my braids are clean and neat and not matted. Honest!

The difference between me and homegirl is I do my own braids and redo them as they get loose. That allows me to remove any shed hair and ensure no matting at the base. I also don't use any products besides those used during the wash, so that also eliminates residue buildup/dirt matting that can occur.

Thanks for this post Nonie. A long stretch in braids doesn't necessarily equal death to hair. It is all in how you take care of your hair underneath. Evenso, what works for you- may not work for someone else, so I'm confident you'll find someone who does the year long strectch in braids w/no washing and retains a lot of length. We're all different. ;)

Geminigirl

Yea but the majority can't do that. I think it's fine if you refresh and keep them clean. But 7-8 months no redoing or washing or taking care...that's YUCKIE lol.

teysmith

I know a lot of people who leave their braids in this long and i dont think they have a problem.. This one girl I know kept her's up her whole pregnacy and when she took them down her hair was so much longer and thicker!! I think it all depends on your hair's strength...

Last edited:

jenaccess

I wore braids years ago for 24 months and I would leave my braids in for 7-9 months at a time. I keep my braids moisturize daily and wash condition 2x monthly. I retained great length APL to WL. My sister tried doing this and lost alot of hair and braids.

jaiku

Don't forget to update this thread in September. I'm curious too. I can't imagine.

Aviah

Well, I haven't seen what her hair looks like before (from waht I can remember) But it will be interesting to see if she doesn't just go back into braids.

dlewis

We had a member here who keep her braids in for 9 months and grew her hair out well. Yall remember her? She was the one that lost some hair while doing some weird sexual game.

Nonie

We had a member here who keep her braids in for 9 months and grew her hair out well. Yall remember her? She was the one that lost some hair while doing some weird sexual game.

:lachen: I remember her. I didn't know that's whom you were all talking about. She started one of the first C&G Gangsta or Hardcore Challenges, or whatever they were called. I'll see if I can find her name by thread search.

dlewis

DLewis, was it Shynessqueen?

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Yep, that's her. What waas her name before she she changed it. You remember when she use to post drunk?:lachen::lachen::lachen:

But she got really good growth and I want to say she left her braids in 9-12 months.:yep:

dlewis

I wore braids years ago for 24 months and I would leave my braids in for 7-9 months at a time. I keep my braids moisturize daily and wash condition 2x monthly. I retained great length APL to WL. My sister tried doing this and lost alot of hair and braids.

It can be done.:yep:

ycj1

:yep:

Yours may have been in since April 09, but at least you do take care of them! Meaning you redo them as they get loose and keeping them up properly! This girl is going to stretch her's out for 7-8 months time frame and won't touch them for that long! There is actually no comparison!

You are the exception to that rule!:look:

Nonie

It can be done.:yep:

Yes, it can be done :yep: . I just washed my hair earlier today and here are my ten-month old braids which I don't think look thaaaat bad:

I usually wear them in a braided updo, in a braid-out, or as I recently discovered I can do, in a Curlformer set.

Last edited:

Nonie

:yep:
You are the exception to that rule!:look:

Thank you for that vote of confidence. :giggle: I am glad at least there's someone who won't hold her breath when I walk by thinking I'm wearing funky, gunky braids. :lol:

dlewis

They don't look bad at all. Do you have pics of the curlformer updo?

I didn't see your post I only read the first couple of posts and the last page :giggle: but I figured you would be on it.

Nonie

They don't look bad at all. Do you have pics of the curlformer updo?

I didn't see your post I only read the first couple of posts and the last page :giggle: but I figured you would be on it.

:lol:

I didn't do an updo with the Curlformer. I just used them on braids. The words "Curlformer set" in my post above are a link to the pic.