Anyone mix conditioner or oils into their relaxer?

candycane

I was reading on a website where they quoted Quidad (The curly hair expert) where the following was said:

Ouidad uses a special trick for chemically relaxing hair. She "whips up a mixture of a milder sodium hydroxide with a conditioner. She explained to me that "the addition of the Deep Treatment brings down the pH factor and results in a healthier much softer treatment”

http://www.lamasbeauty.com/beauty/january03/Chemical_Hair_Straightening_Faqs3.htm

This statment made me of course want to check with you ladies to find out who has done this and if so, what were your results. TIA for your responses!

candycane

Xena

This doesn't sound right. I don't think you would want to relax and condition your hair at the same time. But i may be wrong.

Wildflower

Grow, hair,Grow!!!
That's how my hairdresser would do back in Brazil. The conditioner wasn't to condition the hair, but to make it milder and keep it from burning the scalp. It worked.
Nowadays I just use a tablespoon or so of olive oil whipped up with my relaxer and it also keeps my scalp from burning that much. I have a very sensitive scalp.:)

B

ballet_bun

I just did this for my last touch up and it worked out wonderfully for me.

Nice

Pepperanne's stylist does this. I have heard that it does make the relaxer milder :)

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
My last touch up I did myself and I mixed olive oil in with my Motions Regular formula. I did this because I was told that it slows down the straightening process. Since I was doing my entire head instead of relaxing in sections I needed as much time as possible. It turned out great. I can't see any negative effects. I put a thick conditioner on my previously relaxed hair just in case I overlapped. I'm happy with the results.

AudraChanell

It does make the relaxer mild. Just be sure how much of what u add to it, and PAY attention to the consistency. Runny/soupy relaxers make for bad overlapping.

AudraChanell

I agree! I posted before I read your post ... watch overlapping :)

simplycee said:
My last touch up I did myself and I mixed olive oil in with my Motions Regular formula. I did this because I was told that it slows down the straightening process. Since I was doing my entire head instead of relaxing in sections I needed as much time as possible. It turned out great. I can't see any negative effects. I put a thick conditioner on my previously relaxed hair just in case I overlapped. I'm happy with the results.

bajanplums1

I mix Aphogee Essential Fatty Acids Oil Concentrate to my relaxer. The packaging on the oil says that it can be added to perms. I like it. For me, this oil is multipurpose.

Nice

I may after to try this with my next relaxer....now how much conditioner (oil) are you guys using :confused:

SherryLove

bajanplums1 said:
I mix Aphogee Essential Fatty Acids Oil Concentrate to my relaxer. The packaging on the oil says that it can be added to perms. I like it. For me, this oil is multipurpose.

hey girl....

i add a teaspoon of this(aphoghee EFA oil) to phytorelaxer as well. i also add a little bit to my leave in and deep conditioners...works like a charm....

Nice

SherryLove said:
hey girl....

i add a teaspoon of this(aphoghee EFA oil) to phytorelaxer as well. i also add a little bit to my leave in and deep conditioners...works like a charm....
Hey SherryLove :wave:,

Shame on you....why didn't you tell me this :spank: . I will definitely try this with my next relaxer.

Btw...what leave-in and deep conditioner are you using?

SherryLove

Nice said:
Hey SherryLove :wave:,

Shame on you....why didn't you tell me this :spank: . I will definitely try this with my next relaxer.

Btw...what leave-in and deep conditioner are you using?

sorry about that, nice..

i mix AO GPB in equal parts with AO Jojoba&Aloe conditioner... I use the Giovanni direct leave in conditioner...

Shawnee66

I added about 1 1/2 tbsp of EVOO to my relaxer the last time because I was 13 weeks post relaxed and I was doing it in two parts. I must say my hair was definitely soft and smoothier than when I relaxed without adding the olive oil. Next time I think I will try the conditioner.

bajanplums1

SherryLove said:
hey girl....

Yeah! I add it to mango butter and apply it to my hair prior to rollersetting. I have never added it to my deep conditioner which already has essential oils, but it probably would not hurt, yeah i love this oil--i never had brittle hair since adding it to my regimen.

BAILEYSCREAM

bajanplums1 said:

Yep, I do this and I have been doing it for years. Makes your hair come out a lot softer.

I also use the Aphoghee oil mixed in with my conditioner for steaming my hair. I don't use any other oil for these purposes, only the Aphoghee as I find it works a lot better than olive oil for both. :yep:

senimoni

Wow..this is interesting. Too bad I don't do my own relaxers, I don't think my hairdresser would do this. She already tells me she is "The professional"...whatever, do as I say b!tch...LOL

sareca

SherryLove said:
hey girl....

Ah ha! I've been waiting to see what oil folks have added to Phyto. It's already so mild I was afraid it wouldn't work at all if I added a oil to it. But I was planning to add 1/4 cup. A couple a teaspoons sounds more reasonable.

Thanks SherryLove!

KhandiB

Repeat - Does this affect the straightness of your hair?
If you were attempting straight hair would you recommend it??

HighlyFavored1

my hairdresser used to mix a packet of sugar with my Affirm relaxers so it wouldn't burn...anybody ever heard of this? i never got how it could work...

plove

senimoni said:
Wow..this is interesting. Too bad I don't do my own relaxers, I don't think my hairdresser would do this. She already tells me she is "The professional"...whatever, do as I say b!tch...LOL

Not to get off topic but you have some nice growth.

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
Yup.

I mixed some sweet almond oil into my Mizani sensitive scalp relaxer, and it worked out fine. My hair still came out pretty straight. By adding the oil, I sort of "bought some time" applying the relaxer.

Thanx sistaslick for the suggestion! ;)