ACV (apple cider vinegar) ..... does it really clarify?

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

ACV (apple cider vinegar) ..... proof as a clarifier?

I was sent a PM from a member just starting her natural hair journey.....who had just found KT's videos:look: and annotations have been added to all previous vides stating there is no scientific proof that ACV can clarify the hair.... that it basically closes the cuticle and that's about it. You must use a clarifying shampoo

So:grin:.....Because I had never researched this, I did a 2 second google:look::yep:
and found that a slightly alkaline pH is needed (shrugs) to clarify and slightly acidic pH for conditioning:yawn:.

So has anyone ever researched this further? Any scientific based articles? For one, this same site (yep all from this 2 sec searchs:grin:) stated ACV clarifies by getting rid of build up without stripping the hair (if diluted properly of course)....but then goes on to state a slightly alkaline pH is used to clarify:blush::lachen:

PLEASE DON'T WASTE UR TIME RESEARCHING THIS:look: (i will later anyway:yep:)... just wondered if someone had previously looked into the who, what, and why's of clarifying:yep:

ummm-K

tia
god bless!

Last edited:

EllePixie

It doesn't clarify. I don't have an article, but there is a chemist on NC who has explained this several times on the site (lol, she actually has a pet peeve when ppl say that ACV clarifies), so if you do a search on there I'm sure there is a thread on it. hth!

Bajanmum

I'm not sure if it clarifies, to be honest, but it certainly softens. I use it every week.

If it does clarify, then that's an added bonus.:grin:

Sorry, I haven't actually answered your query:ohwell:

westNDNbeauty

Never heard that it would clarify. Always thought the purpose was to close the cuticles being that it is usually used as a final rinse.

Nonie

I agree with the ladies above. A clarifier has to be alkaline so it can strip hair of oil or organic buildup. ACV does not clarify, but the acidity closes cuticles to make hair strands smooth.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
OT: I've used ACV for final rinse purposes only and didn't feel as though it worked - didn't feel like it closed the cuticle. Maybe I didn't dilute it enough.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
It doesn't clarify. I don't have an article, but there is a chemist on NC who has explained this several times on the site (lol, she actually has a pet peeve when ppl say that ACV clarifies), so if you do a search on there I'm sure there is a thread on it. hth!

Here ya go: http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/07/part-2-of-2-porosity-can-you-fix-it.html

ACV Good or Bad? http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/05/apple-cider-vinegar-good-or-not.html

Natural Haven tends to write these types of articles.

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I've always used it for clarifying. I've done it for so many years. I thought it was so weird not long ago when I found out people were actually using it to close their cuticles after dc'ing....I had never heard of doing that, only clarifying with it.

As far as if it clarify's or not....I think it does but only lightly if that makes sense. I think it will get rid of certain product build up but nothing serious like cones, mineral oil, petrolatum, etc. I've always had great results with it.

Amoreofcurls

ACV may have multiple purposes depending on that particular persons head...I prefer to use an actual shampoo to clarify because I use products that contain , silicones, and mineral oil etc, plus I have low porosity, so I need my cuticles lifted before doing any kind of moisture treatment...I use ACV as a final rinse to close them....

But I believe ACV does have cleansing properties as an acid (just like lemon juice) but, for someone who uses more natural products...ACV obviously wouldnt do a great job at removing cones...I think thats where the confusion is

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
If you're looking for something natural:

Baking soda: Clarifies
ACV: Keeps BH levels balanced and closes the hair shaft

Commercial (non-natural):

Any shampoo with SLS: Clarifies
Roux Porosity Control: Keeps BH levels balanced and closes the hair shaft

Jewell

Ive always heard that it did clarify, and funny this thread should pop up because I used an ACV rinse last night for the first time, and it made my hair incredibly smooth and clean-feeling. So, I wasn't sure whether it clarified or not, but I used diluted shampoo after to cleanse my hair and scalp anyway. Then followed with Roux Porosity control. Now I know that it doesn't clarify from this thread...and will change the way I use it.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I had a discussion with my organic chem prof about this when I first started my journey. She said neither acv or baking soda clarifies. She went into some long boring explanation that I barely listened to. I just wanted the answer lol