Difference between Oil and Moisture

s_terry

Ladies, is there a difference between oil and moisture? Can oil give you moisture? Do you use oils along with something moisturizing? Please share if you use oil and/or a moisturizer and what the products are that use for either.

TIA

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
There is a difference and it's going to vary depending on if you're natural or relaxed. I can't use oil only to moisturize my hair, because it will be dry within hours. I have to have some type of creamy leave in to hold the moisture.

I have very thick type 4 hair. Airdried with no products it feels like a brillo pad. If I wash my hair and apply MTG,WGO and Aveda Be Curly along the length of the hair and let it air dry, it feels like a brand new sponge. It's not silky but it feels smooth. It also feels moist, but not wet, almost like the way your skin feels 20 minutes after you put on lotion.

I tried to be descriptive, I hope it helps.

Last edited:

Ladylynn

I always thought of oil as being a sealer. I'll apply my leave in conditioner/moisturizer first, then coat that with a light oil to keep the moisture in. This technique has saved my hair. When I moisturize this way I don't see any broken strands.

HoneyDew

Ladylynn said:
I always thought of oil as being a sealer. I'll apply my leave in conditioner/moisturizer first, then coat that with a light oil to keep the moisture in. This technique has saved my hair. When I moisturize this way I don't see any broken strands.

This is the same for me. Most of my moisture has come from my conditioners. I use a mixture of oil and silicone on my hair and it seals in moisture.

I used to coat my hair with all kinds of creams and crap to try to moisturize, but honestly, now I just use my mixture to seal in the moisture I get from deep conditioning twice a week.

Belle Du Jour

I only use water based cream products to moisturize my hair. Oil based products or just straight oil do nothing for my hair.

genesis

Ladylynn said:

This is what works for me also, if I use only oil my hair dries out, but oil has been wonderful for me as a way to lock in moisture after I apply my regular creamy moisturizers.

erin558

Ladylynn said:

what oil do you use?

sareca

I typically only think of water as adding moisture. Two thing I got me thinking maybe I'm wrong; jojobo oil and butters. I can put jojoba oil on my dry hair it when it has absorbed my hair still feels soft. :think:

Neroli

balisi said:
Water = moisture
Oil = lubricant

ITA! As others mentioned, water-based products add moisture and oils will "seal" moisture in. If I use just oil, it actually makes my hair feel drier and more strawlike. However, the combination of moisture first and then oil to seal and lubricate is the "dynamic duo" and is one of the many important lessons I learned on LHCF. IMO, heathy hair, whether relaxed or natural, needs both . . .

I think of it water for "inside" the hair to moisturize and oil for "outside" the hair to lubricate and add shine

Ladylynn

erin558 said:
what oil do you use?

right now I'm using africa's best ultimate herbal oil. I just recently purchased some quality oils like jojoba oil, almond oil, castor oil, etc., so I'll starting mixing and experimenting this weekend. But I've used Africa's best for years and it's very good.

Sistaslick

sareca said:
I typically only think of water as adding moisture. Two thing I got me thinking maybe I'm wrong; jojobo oil and butters. I can put jojoba oil on my dry hair it when it has absorbed my hair still feels soft. :think:

Soft does not always equal moisturized-- though moisturized hair is often soft. :D Oils can soften the hair and give it shine-- but they do not provide a moisture benefit. Like the others have said, oil acts in the capacity of a sealant because its molecules are much too large to be absorbed by the hair strand. Now in the case of essential oils, they can be absorbed into the hair and skin because the molecules are small and volatile. They evaporate easily. But often the carrier oil is a heavier oil that still only seals the hair.

It is probably better to say that oils nourish the hair rather than moisturize. Oils are hydrophobic meaning they can only repel water. Water is the foundation of true moisture. Oils can only trap in the hydration that is already there, so if your hair is not moisturized before hand--- applying an oil will only seal out any moisture.

Victorian

old head
Sistaslick said:
It is probably better to say that oils nourish the hair rather than moisturize. Oils are hydrophobic meaning they can only repel water. Water is the foundation of true moisture. Oils can only trap in the hydration that is already there, so if your hair is not moisturized before hand--- applying an oil will only seal out any moisture.
Well-put :up:
I find that if I've been keeping my hair hydrated (from con washes and water-based leave-in conditioner) I don't really need to focusing on adding oil to my hair. Mostly I put it on my ends since they tend to need the most help staying moisturized. I'm a really big fan of jojoba oil for this purpose. WGO is also good for this, as a heavier alternative.

s_terry

Wonderful advice ladies! Ok, several of you mentioned water based moisturizers. Would water be one of the first ingredients on the products list? Can anyone share what they are using? i will also do a search on moisturizing conditioners. TIA

When I apply natural oils (jojoba,castor,vegetable glycerin) to my hair after washing and conditioning ( still wet) I guess I am sealing in moisture then-right?

Neroli

s_terry said:
Wonderful advice ladies! Ok, several of you mentioned water based moisturizers. Would water be one of the first ingredients on the products list? Can anyone share what they are using? i will also do a search on moisturizing conditioners. TIA

When I apply natural oils (jojoba,castor,vegetable glycerin) to my hair after washing and conditioning ( still wet) I guess I am sealing in moisture then-right?

The ladies on this site are out-of-site and I always learn new things about things I think I know about! Anyway, you're right, water should be up at the top of the ingredients for moisturizing products, like headdress.

Vegetable glycerin is not an oil, but rather a natural humectant (like panthenol, NaPCA, hyaluronic acid, sorbitol, etc.). Humectants are moisturizing agents that attract moisture into the hair & skin to hydrate and should be part of your "moisture" rather than "oil" . . .

One very popular snythetic humectant that's in alot of hair and skin care stuff is propylene glycol. . .

HTH!

Lady_Lioness

Sistaslick said:
Soft does not always equal moisturized-- though moisturized hair is often soft. :D Oils can soften the hair and give it shine-- but they do not provide a moisture benefit. Like the others have said, oil acts in the capacity of a sealant because its molecules are much too large to be absorbed by the hair strand. Now in the case of essential oils, they can be absorbed into the hair and skin because the molecules are small and volatile. They evaporate easily. But often the carrier oil is a heavier oil that still only seals the hair.

This is really well put:up:

I also agree with all the other ladies...water or anything that is water based are moisturizers...oils are simply sealers.

I remember when I first started taking good care of my hair...i didn't know the difference...i would just only apply oils to my hair...and was wondering why my hair was still dry?...now I know that you need a moisturizer (water-based) to provide moisture.

ETA: I use wave nouveau moisturizing lotion or NTM silk touch leave-in and evoo or jojoba oil as the sealer.

Last edited:

*ElleB

Sistaslick said:

Thanks so much Sistaslick!! I was wondering y I was having such a problem when I felt like I "moisturizing" my hair and it was still looking so dry! I was so lazy to use the Mango Butter, so I would just put my oil all through the hair....My hair would look shiny and whatnot and I felt that it was giving it moisture....Thanks, now I will use a creamy moisturizer and then put the oil over it..... and I will see how this works out. If it doesn't I'll know that I have porosity problem...

Victorian

old head
I've been using Giovanni Direct as my leave-in for a long while and it's great :yep:
I don't use separate moisturizers now but when I was relaxed (and while I was wearing my hair straight during my transition) I really liked Frizz Ease Secret Weapon. It moisturizes but isn't too greasy. I also liked Profectiv Root Health (green tub) and Break Free (purple tub--be aware that it is more protein heavy than most moisturizers, though).

Way, way back in my relaxed days, long before LHCF came into my life, I used to use Parnevu leave-in (in the big grey tub) every day. It's super cheap and lasts a long time. I liked it a lot. They also had some in a bottle that was supposed to be especially good for your scalp (Scalp Therapy, I believe it was called) that I used too. I always used one of the Parnevu creams after lightly misting my hair with Pantene spray leave-in. Good stuff as well--not sure which one it is now because Pantene has done a lot of re-organizing and re-naming of their product lines since back when I was using it. I think it's the "detangling" spray, though.

Candy_C

i think cones r good, but if you dont wash you hair often how are you meant to add mositure (say a day after applying cones) if it locks in moisture, that means it must lock out moisture too?

i can only use em if i'm using heat....

Oil is a lubricator, but it DOES preserve your hair, thats why i love grease and oil. you know how if something is put into a jar of oil it lasts

morehairplease

lately I have been using an oil based moisturizer(s-curl) and oil(grapeseed) on my hair. I have noticed that it is retaining moisture longer than it was before.

MeccaMedinah

naturallady said:
What are the oils in your mixture?

I switch between castor oil, grapeseed oil & I've used sweet almond & almond oils and even soybean (vegetable cooking oil) before. What I usually do is buy a bottle of oil and just use it until it is all gone.