How is WATER good for your hair?

shellzfoshizzle

I've always wanted to know this.

I do know that DRINKING water is good for your hair, body, skin, nails, etc, but why is water the best and ultimate moisturizer for your hair?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
shellzfoshizzle said:
I've always wanted to know this.

I do know that DRINKING water is good for your hair, body, skin, nails, etc, but why is water the best and ultimate moisturizer for your hair?

I'm one who's never really understood this either. I mean, doesn't it just evaporate after you put it on your hair?

I do understand how drinking it works from the inside, but not how putting water on your hair is moisturizing.

SohoHair

Well I guess it's because water is the only form of moisture there really is. If you talk about how moist something is you talk about how much water is in it. If someone says "Oh there's a lot of moisture in the air today" they're saying that there's a lot of water vapor in the air that day. All the "good" moisturizers we use, like NTM silk touch leave-in are just water, with extra stuff added to keep the water in our hair (i.e. the oils and other stuff) It's only the water part of these moisturizers, that do any moisturizing, the other stuff keeps our hair from frizzing up, adds fragrance/color, are preservatives and/or keeps the water in our hair... HTH!

so1913

SohoHair said:
Well I guess it's because water is the only form of moisture there really is. If you talk about how moist something is you talk about how much water is in it. If someone says "Oh there's a lot of moisture in the air today" they're saying that there's a lot of water vapor in the air that day. All the "good" moisturizers we use, like NTM silk touch leave-in are just water, with extra stuff added to keep the water in our hair (i.e. the oils and other stuff) It's only the water part of these moisturizers, that do any moisturizing, the other stuff keeps our hair from frizzing up, adds fragrance/color, are preservatives and/or keeps the water in our hair... HTH!

Yep, I agree with this. I'd also add that the "other" stuff my provide additional nutrients and vitamins to the hair, but the moisture comes from water.

Sistaslick

SohoHair said:

ITA!!! Great explanation!

Proudpiscean

Supergirl said:
I'm one who's never really understood this either. I mean, doesn't it just evaporate after you put it on your hair?

I do understand how drinking it works from the inside, but not how putting water on your hair is moisturizing.

That's why it has to be sealed with an oil, to keep it in the hair longer. :)

Proudpiscean

SohoHair said:

Great explanation!

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Fran said:
I found this website that talks about drinking water and hair. I guess its like giving a plant miracle gro but NOT giving it the necessary water it needs to show the desired results... I think this has been a mistake I've been making. I'm definately going to dring more water.

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip211301.htm

I saved that link in my favorite places! Thanks for posting it! :)

Ebonygurl00

SohoHair said:

I really like this explination. Thanks!