Dominican Challenge!!!

RabiaElaine

Hi Ladies,

I'm starting up a Dominican Challenge by popular demand.

This challenge consist of going to a dominican salon of your choice on a regular basis to get your hair wash/set and relaxer is you want as well. The point of all this is that with Dominican Techniques your hair should require less manipulation on your part because they will GENTLY make your hair silky soft in the salon and it should last until your next wash.

Please respond to join this challenge with your regimen for this challenge.
Let's do this for a period of 6 months to 1 year, checking in monthly for an update or when needed if you have problems or a question.

My regimen will be as follows:
-Have my hair wash and set at Amiris New Look Salon in East Elmhust Queens, 1x per week.
-Bring my own deep conditioners (Humecto, Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor, Nexxus Keraphix).
-Have them spray surge on my scalp before rollersetting.
-Take my vitamins.
-Relax every 7 weeks, maybe I will be able to stretch longer due to the methods that they use.
-Trim/Dust only as needed at the salon.
-Wrap my hair at night.
-Wear my hair up when it get's close to wash time because that's usually when I shed.
-Drink plenty of water.
-Use magnetic or Caruso rollers to regain curl/bump when needed.

Let's start immediately ladies. I got my wash and set yesterday so that will be my technical start. I am not going to wash my hair myself unless absolutely necessary.

Let me know if I missed anything in starting this challenge.

Go Dominican Regimen go!!!

ms_kenesha

Ms_Kenesha Joining in! :up:

1. Have my hair wash and set at one of the Dom. Salons in my area every 2 weeks, have not picked which one, yet.
  2. Self-Relax every 8-10 weeks with Phytorelaxer, maybe I, too will be able to stretch longer due to the methods that they use.
  3. Trim/Dust only as needed at the salon.
  4. Wear satin bonnet at night.
  5. Wash my hair myself every other week (week that I don't go to the DS) and use Aubrey's GPB and Tropical Milk Protein, I don't know how I'll style on those wash days.
  6. Use Conair Ion rollers to regain curl/bump when needed.
  7. Take pictures like a maniac as always :lol:

Last edited:

RabiaElaine

Glad you are joining Ms Kenesha!!

I'm sure they will have your in the best condition it can be for your wedding!

Keep the responses coming ladies!

ms_kenesha

From your mouth to God's ears because that is my hope and prayer! :angel:

RabiaElaine said:
Glad you are joining Ms Kenesha!!

I'm sure they will have your in the best condition it can be for your wedding!

Keep the responses coming ladies!

Boadicea

Yay, I'm in!

I won't be doing it for six months, though, because I refuse to go to ANY salon in the summer months. I'll think about going at night, though. You all know what happened last time.

But right up until summer (and then again in the autumn) I'm going to try to go once a week. I just can't not wash my hair for two weeks.

Here's my regimen:

*Thurs.: Pre-shampoo at home with Alter Ego Garlic Hot Oil deep conditioner (1-2 hours). Wash hair with Alter Ego Tropical shampoo and conditioner, Head & Shoulder conditioner, Body Shop Glossing conditioner (used as rinse). Towel dry, add Salerm 21 and Alter Ego Revitalizing Drops
*Fri.: Get hair done at Dominican salon (http://www.reactionbeauty.com). Wash and set, blow dry, wrap.
Sat.: Wear hair down all day, wrap up at night.
Sun.: Take hair down, comb/brush out, leave out for 1-2 hours, wrap.
Mon.: Same as Sat., but I put in 4 large steam rollers for more body
Tues. and Wed.: Same as Sun.
Dusting: Once a month
Relaxer: Once ever three months, at home Profective Anti-Damage No-Lye

I already drink no less than exactly 3 liters of water a day and have been for years, so that won't change but I'm starting Krav Maga again so I'll be adding some things to my exercise routine.

Last edited:

webby

Think Slim
You may as well count me it, because that's the only method I use.

Weekly Maintenance

* Wash
* Apply Keraphix, Humecto, Emergencee or Penetraitt
* Rinse
* Apply Tigi Self Absorbed or Bedhead and detangle while in shower
* Rinse again
* Apply Leave in: Humectress with Lacio-Lacio, Potion no 9 or Sedal Verano Intensivo
* Put rollers in
* Blow out roots
* Wrap or Pin-curl
Note: I only comb once a day, in the evenings. I shake-n-go in the mornings, unless my hair is really unruly or in desperate need of a touchup.

Other Maintenance
* Get dusting every 8 weeks at white salon
* Get touch up done in Dom salon
* Get colourshine Red-ality

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I'm in. :weird:

My regimine:
1) Relax hair every 6-7 weeks (Hawaian Silky Lye Conditioning Relaxer)
2) Wash hair twice a week:
Wednesdays (Pre-poo first;co wash): These products will be Suave Milk & Honey or Tropical Coconut followed by CON conditioner.
& Saturdays (regular wash): These products will be CON 3-in-1.
3) Followed by a Leave-in (either Salerm 21 or DNL Corrective Leave-in)
4) Braid hair every night applying split-end treatment for my ends (such as Black N' Sassy Break free night treatment or Elasta QP Mango Butter)
and cover with a satin bonnet or satin scarf.
5) Oil scalp twice a week (concotion I made: Queen Helene Cocoa butter, EVOO, & Carot oil)
*Protective styles (buns, wigs, weaves, etc). Trim my ends when needed*
*Note* All my conditioners contain EVOO

I will post for updates. Good Luck ladies. :woot:

Last edited:

Leshia

ms_kenesha said:
Ms_Kenesha Joining in! :up:

1. Have my hair wash and set at one of the Dom. Salons in my area every 2 weeks, have not picked which one, yet.
  2. Self-Relax every 8-10 weeks with Phytorelaxer, maybe I, too will be able to stretch longer due to the methods that they use.
  3. Trim/Dust only as needed at the salon.
  4. Wear satin bonnet at night.
  5. Wash my hair myself every other week (week that I don't go to the DS) and use Aubrey's GPB and Tropical Milk Protein, I don't know how I'll style on those wash days.
  6. Use Conair Ion rollers to regain curl/bump when needed.
  7. Take pictures like a maniac as always :lol:

MK, you mentioned going every two weeks like I had planned (Lucy La Dominicana in Arlington, VA), do you work out? How will you keep your hair when you've FINALLY sweat out those roots?

Leshia

Oh, I'm in by the way!

Dom Salon every 10 days,
Relax not very often at all, Hopefully,
Wash/deep condition right before appt using protein and alter ego or Salerm wheat germ mask,
apply IC hair polisher or Frizz Buster serum daily,
Wrap hair nightly
trims, yeah, yeah, i'm trying to wean myself of being my very own scissor-happy stylist. *STUPID look*

ms_kenesha

I don't work out, but I plan on washing my hair on the weeks that I don't go and wearing a fall I really like that curly one Netta has in her sig or doing it myself by either rollersetting, airdrying and using my ion rollers. or using my ceramic flatiron :)

Leshia said:
MK, you mentioned going every two weeks like I had planned (Lucy La Dominicana in Arlington, VA), do you work out? How will you keep your hair when you've FINALLY sweat out those roots?

Leshia

ms_kenesha said:
I don't work out, but I plan on washing my hair on the weeks that I don't go and wearing a fall I really like that curly one Netta has in her sig or doing it myself by either rollersetting, airdrying and using my ion rollers. or using my ceramic flatiron :)

Ah, good plan. Wish I could afford to not work out. *SIGH* Three kids and your body needs to run/lift weights, go figure!

L

lkg4healthyhair

Count me in!!!!

I already decided I would do this a few weeks ago because it worked for me in the past.

My Routine:
-Wash & Set at Dom Salon in NJ, 1x per week.
-Bring my own deep conditioners (Humecto, Nexxus Keraphix, Follicure, Emergencee or penetrait, Salerm Wheat Germ).
-Rinse with The Detangler by Sebastian
-Leave in: Salerm 21 & Follicure or Alter Ego
(Once finished I will be using Surge)
-Purple rollers
-20 mins under the dryer (that's all I need)
-WGO on hair and wrap
-Nightly wear hair up up loosely with one purple magnetic roller on top & silk scarf
-WGO when hair is dry
-Use treatment Follicure & Nexxus Biotin Creme (for thinning hair) on hair line nightly
-Relaxer: (NY Mirror Image-going there for relax. over 7yrs)
Affirm Mild every 12 weeks or so
(decided I would only get about 3 relaxers per year)--will not relax hair line

Extra:
-Drink pleanty of water
-Take multi vitamin
-Wear hair in loose bun daily

Boadicea

I've always wondered what exactly you ladies are doing to "sweat out" your hairstyle?

Is it just me? I work out several times a week and I barely sweat at all and when I do, it's never anywhere near my head.

RabiaElaine

Boadicea said:
I've always wondered what exactly you ladies are doing to "sweat out" your hairstyle?

Is it just me? I work out several times a week and I barely sweat at all and when I do, it's never anywhere near my head.

Boadicea,

I'm just like you, I don't really sweat that much from working out. I sweat more in really really hot humid NY weather. However, I have a friend who, she and I could be doing the exact same work out at the same time, and she'll end up drenched, while I might look a little "misty". I guess people's sweat glands are different, and some sweat more than others.

carrie

Boadicea said:

Girl you are lucky! I sweat and its like I just washed my hair.

webby

Think Slim
Boadicea said:

I am SO jealous :mad: :D

I sweat so much I look like Puff, the Magic Dragon when I'm done working out.

Leshia

Boadicea said:

Well, I've never wrapped and worked out at the same time, but I run for about 30-40 minutes and then I lift weights. If you're not sweating on your face and body after a 40-min run, you must be walking, not running! *laughing*

I assume that once your scalp gets moist, your dominican blowout is not the same. Am I wrong?

daviine

This is how I got hooked in the first place! I put myself on a Dominican challenge when I got my hair cut since I couldn't do my own hair anyway. But beware...you may never want to do your own hair again! When I do wash my own hair, I rollerset it...no matter how long it takes. No more airdrying for me. I don't even plan on airdrying braidouts.

Since I'm doing this already for the most part(I haven't read the whole thread), I'll consider myself in.

Good luck ladies! Happy Hair Growing.

RabiaElaine

daviine said:
This is how I got hooked in the first place! I put myself on a Dominican challenge when I got my hair cut since I couldn't do my own hair anyway. But beware...you may never want to do your own hair again! When I do wash my own hair, I rollerset it...no matter how long it takes. No more airdrying for me. I don't even plan on airdrying braidouts.

Since I'm doing this already for the most part(I haven't read the whole thread), I'll consider myself in.

Hi Daviine,

Your hair is gorgeous and healthy. How long have you been going to get your hair done by dominican salon? How short was your hair when you cut it? Do they do your relaxer as well? Any recommendations since you've been on this challenge longer than the rest of us?

jaded_faerie

Im definately in for this challenge but wont be starting till May when i am back home and am able to drive myself to a DS...my regimen will be to go to Visions Hair Salon weekly for a blow out every Friday and get my first retouch in August, but will start to go every 3months after.....i plan to do this till May 2006 and see how my results are.

Belle Du Jour

Okay, is their success in their technique or in the Dominican products? I have natural hair, and I'm not interested in getting it blown out or pressed every week, but if I went to a dominican salon, 1) would they know what to do with it and 2) what exactly would they do to it that I couldn't do at home (i,e, wash, condition, etc)?

Thanks.

webby

Think Slim
classimami713 said:
Okay, is their success in their technique or in the Dominican products? I have natural hair, and I'm not interested in getting it blown out or pressed every week, but if I went to a dominican salon, 1) would they know what to do with it and 2) what exactly would they do to it that I couldn't do at home (i,e, wash, condition, etc)?

Thanks.
IMO, it's their technique.
I used to think that it a lot of it was their products, but I hardly use dom products and I still get the same results.

I believe that their use of heat minimizes damage to the hair. Rather than using hot irons, curling irons, flat irons, they use the hard-hat dryer and blow dryer to straighten hair.

I think that if you went to a dom salon, they would probably rollerset you; there are a few stylists at my current salon with natural hair that get a rollerset. It's up to you whether or not you wish to have your hair blown out. I for one, only have my roots blown out.

Also, to answer your question. I do my own hair at home, with the exception of my touchups and application of colourshines. However, I use the same technique that the dominican salon uses. I have had the greatest success at maintaining my own hair by continuing their method.

HTH

RabiaElaine

classimami713 said:

Thanks.

I have seen them work with natural 3/c and 4/a hair at the salon...predominantly on children, but I have seen a few adults. I believe it's a combination of technique and product. They can do a rollerset on natural hair depending on texture otherwise they would blow it out. You would benefit from their products as well. They also won't trim your hair unless absolutely necessary.

Anyway I'm not an expert in how Dominican salons care for natural hair...so if anyone else has an opinion please send them our way.

Boadicea

Technique.

I've brought my own products countless time and have been going for over two years and my hair comes out the same whether I use their products or my own.

I can rollerset at home, but it doesn't come out as smooth as when they do it. If I want supple body and bounce, I do my own set. If I want sleekness and swing, I go to the salon.

Britt

daviine said:

Your hair is looking real good Daviine. Hey, if your hair thrives by going to them why stop? I'll be going this weekend. When my hair was cut into a short bob I had to go weekly or rock a twist out.

RabiaElaine

Boadicea said:
Technique.

I've brought my own products countless time and have been going for over two years and my hair comes out the same whether I use their products or my own.

I can rollerset at home, but it doesn't come out as smooth as when they do it. If I want supple body and bounce, I do my own set. If I want sleekness and swing, I go to the salon.

I agree with Webby and Boadicea...though I do like some Dom products. I can do a pretty nice rollerset my first 2 weeks after my relaxer. After that I it doesn't come out as smooth, and I end up using my Chi flat iron to get it smooth. I also can't pull my 4a/b roots as straight as they can either.

On a slightly separate topic...when I was at the salon on sunday there was this black woman getting her hair washed and set. They set her hair on grey rollers which I've seen them do to tons of girls even with hair at shoulder length. Well I arrived at the salon after they had already rolled her hair. When she came out of the dryer and they started to unroll her hair. I sat there and watched with my mouth wide open her hair was soooooo long and healthy looking. She even had her hair colored...yet her hair was way past bra strap...probably waistlength. She only allowed them to blow her roots so I never got to see how long her hair actually was because the curls weren't blown out. I was too chicken to ask her how her hair became that length or if it was always that way. Anyway she seemed to be a regular at the salon because they all knew her by name.

I can't wait...give me another 3 years and with your help and my prayers, and dominican hands hopefully my hair will be like hers as well.