Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

toyas08

9 months (39 weeks) and going strong:spinning:. I think I want to get my first sew-in and give my hair a break :scratchchIDK.

newbeginnings2010

BahamaMama

I'm by far no expert but what brands have you tried? I notice a lot of transitioners and naturals rave about KCCC and eco styler gel for good hold. Have you tried them?

I'm sure some experts will chime in soon as well. Hth!

Last edited:

Godyssey

9 months (39 weeks) and going strong:spinning:. I think I want to get my first sew-in and give my hair a break :scratchchIDK.

toyas08 Congrats on reaching your 9 month mark! In your avi, your hair looks 100% natural. Are you mostly natural? How do you get your hair to look like its all one texture?

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Wow. I'm coming up on a year post. My last texlax was 4/19/11. I'll be 50 wks tomorrow. 50 weeks! Oh my! :spinning:

ChristmasCarol

Congratulations! NJoy

When did the decision to go back to natural hair become definite? It seemed like you were on the fence for a while. Yeah, I was spying on y'all in the long-hair diva threads. :giggle:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Congratulations! @NJoy

When did the decision to go back to natural hair become definite? It seemed like you were on the fence for a while. Yeah, I was spying on y'all in the long-hair diva threads. :giggle:

sipp100

Technically I'm unofficially transitioning. I've been saying that if I can make it to a yr post then I'd officially call myself transitioning. That said, I'm doing better in my stretch now so, I don't think relaxing/texlaxing is in my future at all. I have 2 kits handy but, I'm not even interested in using them.

I have 2 more weeks to fall and bump my head but this looks, feels and sounds like I'm transitioning without BC...or at least no BC until the end of this year. That will be my next fence ride. :giggle:

I'm 16 weeks post tomorrow and my new growth is a beast! No wonder my mother had me get a Jheri curl at 8. :lol:

I'm about to co-wash and wet bun in a few minutes.

toyas08

Godyssey said:
toyas08 Congrats on reaching your 9 month mark! In your avi, your hair looks 100% natural. Are you mostly natural? How do you get your hair to look like its all one texture?

In that picture I was 100% natural and then in June last year I relaxed for what reason I don't know. All I did was comb it out and put a banana clip, that's how I got my hair to look like that in my avi.

WaterMoccasin

newbeginnings2010 :
Thanks for the suggestions!
I've used Fantasia IC, generic store brands and the brown stuff (blech).

Haven't tried KCCC or eco styler- will give those a shot (as soon as I figure out what KCCC is lol- ok just googled it, I'm hip now)!

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
24 weeks post! Time is flying. I was just up in this thread talking about I was 9 weeks post and look at me now. I can't wait until I hit 24 months post, lol!

I'm currently in kinky twists. When I take these out, I want the micro + sew-in
combination. I saw a girl getting it done and it was so nice. She basically got a full sew-in (wavy hair) with a very small (v-section) of leave out in the middle front part of her hair. She got micro braids in the small v section of leave out. (I made that sound really confusing but its really not, lol) It was too cute.

24 weeks post! Time is flying. I was just up in this thread talking about I was 9 weeks post and look at me now. I can't wait until I hit 24 months post, lol!

I'm currently in kinky twists. When I take these out, I want the micro + sew-in
combination. I saw a girl getting it done and it was so nice. She basically got a full sew-in (wavy hair) with a very small (v-section) of leave out in the middle front part of her hair. She got micro braids in the small v section of leave out. (I made that sound really confusing but its really not, lol) It was too cute.

I can picture that. :yep:

I'm 16 weeks post today and thinking about what else I can do to my hair when I'm tired of wet bunning. I'd like to avoid heat for awhile.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Made 17 weeks yesterday, almost a third of a year. :look: I must confess, I haven't washed my hair since the last time I got it done--3 weeks ago. :blush: I had so much tangling the last time that now I'm avoiding it. I have an appointment this coming Wednesday. I need to try to tackle it myself at least one time before that. I still want to transition, I just don't want to have to detangle my freshly washed hair myself. :ohwell:

BlkMane

I just reached the six month transitioning mark!!! Just wanted to write a quick post about a product I have had in my stash for years, but hadn't used in a long while.

Silicon Mix.

In my attempt to grow out my relaxer without having to do a BC, I'm always looking for products to help me get my new growth as straight as possible until I'm totally relaxer free. Tonight, I decided to deep condition my hair with oils, then shampoo, condition, rollerset.

I used:

Oil deep conditioner with cap for 1.5-2 hours (Castor oil as carrier, with Avocado oil, Argan oil, Rosemary essential oil, Thyme essential oil, and a little left over bit of Glover's mixed in)

Shampoo-Shea Moisture Raw Shea Moisture Retaining shampoo

Conditioner-SILICON MIX

Rinse (to add more slip for rollersetting)-Lafier Honey & Almond Rinse

Leave-in-Shea Moisture Raw Shea Leave-In Conditioner

Well, tonight after drying my hair and removing my rollers, I felt my hair and my new growth IS SOOOOOO SOFT AND SILKY!! This is the silkiest my NG has felt after rollersetting in a while even though I recently did an over-the-counter Nunaat BKT. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking it was the Silicon Mix that has made my NG this silky. I can't wait to see how it's going to look tomorrow after I flatiron it to style. :grin:

Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone wants to try it. Below is a pic.

NOTE: I stopped using the Silicon Mix a long while ago, because I tend to hate 'cones, but decided to use it again since I'm transitioning. I'm glad I did. Reading the ingredient list again tonight I also noticed that it contains Keratin.

Picture taken tonight. I have about 3.25" of new growth.

Attachments

• new-growth-after-SiliconMix-4-6-12.jpg
    new-growth-after-SiliconMix-4-6-12.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

daviine

Thanks for sharing BlkMane. I recently decided that I don't have enough natural hair to stop using the products I have here. Reading your post also makes me feel it's okay for me to use cones if the cones are going to help me get through this transition. I can give up cones when I'm fully natural or have a handle on this transition.

daviine

Hey CandiceC!

I'm on page 73 now of this thread and I feel like I'm never going to catch up.

I have one question that is puzzling me. How are you guys "bunning"? What do you mean by "bunning"? Are you just putting your hair in a ponytail? How is your hair not poofy? Also, is it okay to brush back the new growth? In the beginning I was doing this often but wasn't sure if it was a no-no or not. Then I started doing braidouts but after experiencing the breakage I did this week, I have decided to first try to try to get myself into some type of routine.

I need to make sure that I have found the correct combo of products to maximize moisture levels before I manipulate my hair everyday with the braidouts. Until then, I'd like to learn more about bunning. I did try to watch some videos but I'll take all the info I can get.

So, if ponytails/ buns are indeed possible...please share with me your methods (or the posts/threads/tutorials that you found most helpful) for getting decent looking buns. Thanks.

I think I have type 4 hair if that matters.

I did it I finished the thread---sure I have a headache but I'm finally caught up. Now I can spend two weeks catching up on some other thread, lol.

I have another question about bunning. Are you guys bunning your hair and leaving it in a bun until next wash day? I've been putting my hair in a ponytail while wet so not sure if this is considered bunning. Because I don't want my hair to be stressed out the ponytail, I let my hair out when I get home. Plus, I like to play with my new growth.

My hair is still breaking a bit but I guess I just have to get my regimen down. I'll be happy when I get that part down because I can go back to braidouts when I'm feeling bored. Right now, my hair seems to break whenever I touch it, so I need to master this bun thing.

I have a lot of other random thoughts I'd like to add to this post but the headache says I should stop now. :spinning:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
daviine i thought i was the only one who read threads until she got a headache. LOL :)

i finished one this morning before i did my deep condition treatment

so i think chicoro's deep moisture treatment is going to help me through these two textures with some ease.....my hair feels shiny and was fairly easy to deal with today after an hour with her concoction on my head.

daviine

Lol havilland. I've been away from the board for so long and this transitioning thing is uncharted territory, so I don't want miss a thing!

I think I have most, if not all, of the ingredients for Chicoro's prepoo but I've just not been motivated to try this recipe. First of all, I don't know how well my relaxed hair will respond to this as I haven't had much luck with natural/homemade stuff so far. Second, it seems so messy. However, my hair is dry and breaking so it's worth a try.

I would love to find a way to keep my moisturized for more than a day because I'm really trying not to manipulate my hair ----well, except for my hand in my new growth, lol.

I'm on vacation this week. Maybe I'll give it a try.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Lol havilland. I've been away from the board for so long and this transitioning thing is uncharted territory, so I don't want miss a thing!

I think I have most, if not all, of the ingredients for Chicoro's prepoo but I've just not been motivated to try this recipe. First of all, I don't know how well my relaxed hair will respond to this as I haven't had much luck with natural/homemade stuff so far. Second, it seems so messy. However, my hair is dry and breaking so it's worth a try.

I would love to find a way to keep my moisturized for more than a day because I'm really trying not to manipulate my hair ----well, except for my hand in my new growth, lol.

I'm on vacation this week. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Its worth a try. I didn't find it messy at all. If you have aloe juice, put the mix in a spray bottle. If you have gel then it's not necessary. And put your sealing oil in an applicator bottle - easy breezy ;)

newbeginnings2010

I don't know if I mentioned this in this thread, but I took out one of my box plaits and BC'd that one section of hair, and let me tell you....I am in :love5:with my lil 2 inches of natural hair! I left about an inch of the relaxed hair on just to be able to tell the difference, and the natural hair is soooo much softer than the relaxed ends. If I didn't have such a fear of seeing myself with short hair, I'd chop all of these relaxed ends off right here and now! But patience is my game right now. No chopping until ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

BTW, if you couldn't already tell, I've officially moved into the transitioning phase...again! :grin: The difference between then and now being that I'm no longer attached to seeing myself with long straight hair and I no longer feel like going natural is some kind of sacrifice. With so many videos, blogs, and photo albums out there, as well as having sooo many natural family members, I know a lot more about the care, maintenance, versatility of my natural 4b hair in its transitioning and natural state, and I'm super excited to get to know it for the first time since 5th grade. Anywho, can't wait until I'm fully natural! :yep:

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Finally found a leave-in combo that works for me and part of it is discontinued :wallbash:

I've also been wearing my hair in a bun for the past few weeks...I'm loving the waves :grin:

For Easter, I wore my hair in a bantu knot out pinned into a bob. It was OK, next time I won't use a setting lotion.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
daviine i thought i was the only one who read threads until she got a headache. LOL :)

i finished one this morning before i did my deep condition treatment

so i think chicoro's deep moisture treatment is going to help me through these two textures with some ease.....my hair feels shiny and was fairly easy to deal with today after an hour with her concoction on my head.

I read the WHOLE thread too! :lol:

Today makes 18 weeks. I went and got a wash and blow and had to admit to my hair stylist that I hadn't washed it since the last time I was there four weeks ago. I won't be doing that again. She was super impressed with my "perfect coils" (her words :grin: ) in the back. I can't wait 'til three years from now when i am wearing my big ol' braid/twist out/wash and go 'fro!

Off to search Chicoro's prepoo.