Dr. Drew's Life Changers - Black Hair

Tiye

I thought the same thing, though the stylist did say her hair was damaged so maybe it was bad enough to warrant doing a BC...?

I dunno why it's so hard for them to find long haired naturals for these shows, they always perpetuate the idea that black women have to choose between damaged relaxed hair, weave, or short natural hair... like there's no other options.

Aren't long hair natural bloggers everywhere these days - getting mentions in major media including essence, NY Times, etc. How much more long hair PR is needed?? Plenty of women prefer short to medium length hair. Long is not the gold standard for everyone so nothing wrong with demo'ing a short natural style on HiMay. Haven't seen the show or even a single clip of the show but that's just my opinion.

Ms Kain

Sit down Dr.Drew you are not black. He needs to mind his own gosh darn business.

I don't think it matters that he is not black. Are only black people allowed to be interested in/discuss black hair and the issues that come with it? I disagree with the sentiment expressed in this thread by a few others that this is a black thing and whites should keep their noses out.

Whites have a reputation for being uneducated about issues that don't directly affect or concern them, eg. minority struggles, and they are often chastized by blacks for it. So now, here we have a white man who appears to be interested in a 'black' issue (albeit, he is doing it solely for the ratings)......

@cami88

Ok wait.....

See that highlighted passage above? That is EXACTLY why some of us feel that he and people like him need to just stay in their lane.

You said "albeit, he is doing it solely for the ratings" and I may be wrong but from what I understand "albeit" means that whatever is said after that word doesn't really matter. To me, the fact that he is doing it for ratings and ratings = money, IS an issue because this means that once again Black women are becoming a topic of discussion in order to keep them rolling in $dollars$ and cents!

Think about it, as far back as the slave ship we’ve always been used for profit in some form or another. Don't you think it's time that we stop being fodder and cash cows for every other group of people who want extra change in their pocket? Why is it that we are in 2011 and wp are still coming up with new and inventive ways to make money off of us? Why is it that we are justifying this by claiming that they are simply educating themselves? If they truly wanted to educate themselves about our hair or anything else all they need to do is pick up a book, watch a documentary, hell....they can even talk to some of us on a personal level or something, but they don't. Do you see them dredging up shows about Jewish women and their money or Asian women and why they date outside of their race? No. Why? Because they know that digging into their business and trying to “fix” or sort out their “problems” won’t go over well with them. They know that if they try that with other groups of people (like Asians, Hispanics/Latinas or people who follow the Jewish faith) that they'll have their @$$es handed to them and they.don’t.want.none.of. it!!! But over in our camp, I guess we have established a precedence of allowing people to talk about us, over us and through us even when half of what they say isn’t true. We allow it and they keep doing it. It's that simple.

So I agree with@transitioning? when she says that they need to stay out of our business. Anytime you see other people coming up with multiple shows discussing issues that have nothing to do with them but coincidentally seems to make money for them, that looks less like education and more like exploitation to me! And when they reach past THOUSANDS of intelligent and articulate black women who have a sense of pride and decorum and go straight to the bottom of the barrel to find one that represents who they want us to be? That's nothing short of a devisive measure to drive their "point" home and I'm not about to fall for the "banana in the tailpipe" trick and discount it as simply trying to get to know us. :rolleyes:

The way I figure it, if you want something different you've got to do something different so the sooner we all realize what is happening and create a united front when these situations come up (and I mean all at the same time), the sooner we will break these people’s pockets and they’ll have to look elsewhere for their entertainment and their meal tickets. After all, that's what every other group does and that's why they are NOT victimized like we tend to be. :yep:

Werd.

/rant

Last edited:

cami88

I haven't seen the show yet. I was in class/work when it aired. I did see the clip of her 'makeover' though. That cut really does nothing for her face.

And what is her daughter's name? I couldn't catch it on the clip.

ManeStreet

I thought the same thing, though the stylist did say her hair was damaged so maybe it was bad enough to warrant doing a BC...?

I dunno why it's so hard for them to find long haired naturals for these shows, they always perpetuate the idea that black women have to choose between damaged relaxed hair, weave, or short natural hair... like there's no other options.

Raspberry I believe there were long haired naturals there. It's just more difficult to see "length" when hair is in a natural state. We all know about "shrinkage". My hair is mid back but with braidouts or wash n gos it between sl and apl. There's naturals on here that are wsl and beyond and you'd never realize it until they show length check pictures.

Raspberry

Aren't long hair natural bloggers everywhere these days - getting mentions in major media including essence, NY Times, etc. How much more long hair PR is needed?? Plenty of women prefer short to medium length hair. Long is not the gold standard for everyone so nothing wrong with demo'ing a short natural style on HiMay. Haven't seen the show or even a single clip of the show but that's just my opinion.

It's great that long hair natural bloggers are more shine but among black women I rub shoulders with, many of them still aren't aware of them and believe the hype that black hair can't grow long unless special genetics are involved. I'm not saying having long hair is the most important thing in the world, just that I recognize that length is a big deal for many women, I"m not speaking for all but some definitely need the encouragement that they can have long(er) hair if they want it.

@Raspberry I believe there were long haired naturals there. It's just more difficult to see "length" when hair is in a natural state. We all know about "shrinkage". My hair is mid back but with braidouts or wash n gos it between sl and apl. There's naturals on here that are wsl and beyond and you'd never realize it until they show length check pictures.

Yes, I definitely understand shrinkage. I was focusing specifically on the women they chose for the show panel. You're right that there could've been a couple long hair naturals...perhaps the loudest panelists were the ones I remembered.

curlyninjagirl

Two thumbs up! This issue needs to be discussed as often as possible, ratings and entertainment value aside. All people should know about this issue, white, yellow, purple, what have you. We're not alone in this country. I have people in my life (non-black) who are still ignorant of this issue and at one point I was too. This show could be a wake up call for many or a few, doesn't matter the number.

There are still little girls crying every morning and every night about the texture of their hair and being made to feel inferior. We're not done talking about this issue by a long shot!!!

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
Two thumbs up! This issue needs to be discussed as often as possible, ratings and entertainment value aside. All people should know about this issue, white, yellow, purple, what have you. We're not alone in this country. I have people in my life (non-black) who are still ignorant of this issue and at one point I was too. This show could be a wake up call for many or a few, doesn't matter the number.

There are still little girls crying every morning and every night about the texture of their hair and being made to feel inferior. We're not done talking about this issue by a long shot!!!

:yep: I was thinking this while watching. That hopefully people will start to understand that these: "your hair is nappy, you need a perm, comb that ish, brillo pad", comments are hurtful, especially to children. And even worse if it's coming from a parent/family. I mean homegirl sitting up there still thinking her hair is bad, and she will forever-be-weaved, because hair hair ain't good enough:nono:

ecadnacmc

Raspberry and if her hair was "damaged" why add color on top of it???

BostonMaria

I'm kinda disappointed that himay10ance (or however you spell it) didn't act out or be more vocal. I want my money back LOL JK

Sent from my fancy iPhone using LHCF

Valerie

What is so sad, we are still having issues about good hair, bad hair. How long are we going to continue this? We can blame the slave masters, the racism, the system, but when do we take responsibility for ourselves. I believe why more of these programmes are airing, because more women choose to become natural, there is a lot of information on youtube, workshops and many of us are celebrating us.

If black women really started to celebrate their hair, beauty etc, and open their eyes, many of the rubbish in our lives we would start to realise they do not help us and we will move on. Black women taking control of their lives, we are taking control of our money and that is something very scaring to people who still want to control black women. Those women who are cannot live without their weaves. That is their choice, God bless them!. There is too much of what black women should do, we are big hard back grown women. People who don't like your hair, they need a serious Jesus beating, the one when he wrestles with Jacob all night.