Wen by Chaz Deen and natural 4ab Hair

softblackcotton

So I'm up early for reason and I caught this infomercial for Wen Hair Care system by Chaz Deen, a white male hair stylist. It promises to make any type of hair even "African American hair" whatever that is, soft manageable shiny instantly detangled 70% stronger etc. Promises that you no longer have to use a million different products anymore. They did show and demonstrate the product on some black women but they all had at least 3b or looser curls or were relaxed. Think Holly Robinson Peete type hair. I noticed they avoided real and pure kinkiest driest type 4 or tighter hair the closest to genetically African hair undiluted. So before I am tempted to try this stuff even though the commercial suggests that it works for all hair types except type 4. Are there NATURAL 4s that have tried and true long term success with this wen hair care system by Chaz Deen? Please by
Specific with the details on how it has improved your experience with your hair journey.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Hi softblackcotton :) Well my daughters are type 4 (I think...I will post pics of there texture 2 morrow & u can tell me) but any who I have been transitioning myself & them since July & we started using Wen since either Aug or Sept. I can tell you it has made wash/co-wash day so much easier & better. I think they are retaining more length with using the Wen bc it makes there hair so soft & managable (sp?). I actually leave it in their hair for about 1-2 hours & then rinse it out. Then I just put a little more back in. But here are some pics of my 3 girls hair str8 last month. I will post some pics 2 morrow though of their transitioning hair after I take them so you can see them. HTH!

ETA- first pic is my 4y/o (I'm transitioning her bc I did sort of a textlax on her once bc her hair is so thick & decided I dont need to do that)
2nd pic is of my 8 y/o also transitioning back to natural & 3rd pic is my 9 y/o transitioning as well

Oh yeah found this video also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytPDGwLxVgw&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLABD264BC3D314A8B

Attachments

• 1321921501117.jpg
    1321921501117.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 1321925129817.jpg
    1321925129817.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 1324230862316.jpg
    1324230862316.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

JJamiah

Where did it say it didn't work for type 4? I have never heard it at all.

His model on QVC has type 4 hair.

Did he really say that? I am shocked is all.

Embyra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxgZ-mwH9ZY&feature=relmfu

this woman is type 4 and was used as one of his models this stuff looks good i was just in random thoughts saying i need a good cleansing cream does this strip the hair at all???

My first experience with a cleansing cream (KERACARE) was worse than any shampoo i ever used and left my hair stripped of everything knotted matted dry tangled etc.....:nono::nono:

CurlsBazillion

from what I hear (and u should know that mean nothing lol) Wen is very moisturizing and if you are more susceptible to moisture over load this product can take u there. I saw the ingredients which look awesome but I'm not all that impressed with the undesirables and I hear some ppl use it as a leave in:ohwell:. Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Wild Cherry Fruit Extract, Fig Extract, Chamomile Extract, Marigold Flower Extract, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alochol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Amodimethicone, Hydrolyze Wheat Protein, Polysorbate 60, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Menthol, Sweet Almond Oil, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Methlisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Citric Acid, Essential Oils.

If I ever try this I know I'd have to up my protein to have the balance my hair needs.

Embyra

damn it contains silicones i follow the cg routine no silicones etc sigh

still going to try it though....:look:

Last edited:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Web is definitely for type 4's. I use it all the time as well as tons of other type 4 women here. It has been a godsend for me.

sunnieb

I gave some WEN to my mom for Christmas. She is a natural type 4b/c, dry, very coarse. I'll get her feedback and post it here.

Phoenix14

I just watched that video....why are they using so much product??! It's like 40 pumps for Rita and her TWA. Whats that going to be for those of us with longer hair?

omnipadme

I tried wen fig in the past and didn't like it- I thought it made me shed more than normal. BUT I 'took a risk and tried sweet almond mint yesterday- I had the most amazing hair day of my life! I was so shocked, I'm in love. I'm type 3c/4a- I applied it in clipped sections in the shower and let it sit for about 15 minutes, then followed up with darcy botanicals leave-in & curl cream. Everywhere I went, I got compliments and people asking what I did to my hair. I'm a convert!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Sorry my phone camera couldnt get good pics of their ng but Wen is good product so far from what I can tell. Also about the amount of pumps I dont use that many. Only about 4-5 pumps per section (4 sections)

Southern Belle

There are tons, and tons, and TONS of threads on here about WEN, and how good it is. :yep:

I'm a 4b and I've personally been using the Fig one for about 2 years (I buy it by the gallon). I just recently bought the Fall Harvest (or pumpkin, or whatever is is..) because of all the rave reviews, and it was just okay. Didn't knock my socks off, or anything.

I highly recommend trying it though. Just get the small bottle in case you don't like it cause it ain't cheap...

Ronnieaj

I'm a 4a natural and use it as well. I'm pretty prone to overmoisturization, so the Fig is a bit much for me. I cut it with the pomegranate. My favorite is the 613 though--stupid expensive IMO but I'm using up all the rest so I can just kick it with that one :yep:.

Embyra

after being cornered by the wen pusha.. JJamiah:look: I have been researching/hunting this down like a manic for the past day:blush:found a seller that sells international.... there's still hope for me yet J :lachen:

Last edited:

CheLala13

I have really enjoyed using WEN. I've been using it for about a month. That video is crazy though, she has what? a TWA? and using 40 pumps. In any case, I'm cheap....so I only use about 5-6 pumps for my whole head and I'm APL.

Rei

I want to try this I just don't understand the amount of pumps necessary for this....like 40 pumps for hair that is below shoulders? seriously? O__o how big is this bottle? or does it just not pump out that much product?

Je Ne Sais Quoi

You do NOT need 40 pumps. Not sure why this keeps coming up. I must have missed something. Someone w/ shoulder length hair would likely need about 15-20 pumps would be my guess.

Rei

You do NOT need 40 pumps. Not sure why this keeps coming up. I must have missed something. Someone w/ shoulder length hair would likely need about 15-20 pumps would be my guess.

Je Ne Sais Quoi, this is what you missed, on the qvc website for wen.

Start by rinsing hair for at least one minute. Apply eight to 10 pumps to crown and eight to 10 pumps to nape. Massage vigorously into scalp for two to three minutes and add an extra splash of water to help evenly distribute through the ends. Add another 10 to 20 pumps, depending on length of hair, through the mid-shafts and ends to thoroughly cleanse and hydrate. Comb through with a wide-tooth comb and clip up. Leave on for at least three to five minutes. The longer, the better. Rinse completely for one to two minutes by massaging scalp and running fingers through ends. The number of pumps needed may vary depending on length and weather. The more you use, the better the results. Suggested minimums: hair above shoulders, 20; to shoulders, 30; past shoulders, 40

20 pumps still seems like a heck of a lot of pumps! :lol: does it not pump out that much product? If it doesn't then I can get it then. I want to try it but not if my one $40 bottle will last me all of two weeks :look:

Last edited:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Je Ne Sais Quoi, this is what you missed, on the qvc website for wen.

20 pumps still seems like a heck of a lot of pumps! :lol: does it not pump out that much product? If it doesn't then I can get it then. I want to try it but not if my one $40 bottle will last me all of two weeks :look:

Thanks Rei. No, there is no way I used 40 pumps when I was bsl :nono: you definitely will run through the bottle fast that way. I can see maybe an initial cleansing I guess but that would be about it.

TrueSugar

I got a sample of the winter mint in a beauty testtube and I liked. I have 4a/b hair and some of the stylish at my job noticed the difference in how less dry my hair felt. I ordered the tsv and I am glad that I did.

gennatay

I use it and I love it. FIG is my favorite. Honestly between WEN and Hairveda, my hair is the healthiest its been in months.

cutenss

I ordered a bunch of WEN during the holidays, including WEN 613. I found that my hair loves pomegranate, lavendar, and cucumber. I have used the cucumber in the past. I have fine, natural strands.

I have found that when you really saturate your hair with water, you only need about 75% of what s recommended. I am BSL, and I used about 20 pumps of the cleansing conditioner, and about 6 pumps of the 613, which is more creamy and concentrated that its cleansing sister. I will be purchasing the gallons when they come on in June. I am getting rid of ALL of my shampoos, conditioners, masks etc., and just use WEN.

star78

I used the Wen cleansing conditioner before I actually started my HHJ. I remember that it was the hardest thing to wash out of my hair. After multiple rinses, it still felt like I had the product in my hair and my hair felt gooey greasy. I followed the instructions on how to use it and ended up with the same results each time.

Theresamonet

Who is using Wen and also still using products with silicone and such in it? How is that working? Do you have to incorporate a shampoo every now and then?