How Do You Wash Your Hair in Sections or Plaits?

Lady Esquire

I used to do this and can't remember why I stopped. Ladies who wash their hair in plaits/sections: tell me, do you leave it in the braids from shampoo to rinse to conditioner? Or do undo each braid/section and wash separately? I remember Robin over at www.growafrohairlong.com had a video tutorial....I'll look that up too. But I'm interested in what you ladies are doing. Thanks.

KiSseS03

I swear by this method, I am 12 months post, and washing in sections has allowed me to hang onto my relaxed ends, avoid splits, and my "detangling" time is around 5-10 minutes for my entire head.

I usually wear my hair straight so pre-wash it is already detangled. I part my hair down the middle of my head (hairline to nape), and then further divided those halves into 3 sections each. This leaves me with 6 sections. I have experimented with smaller sections, but 6 seems to be the magic number to allow me to adequately get to my scalp, smaller braids tend to be too tight for this.

I leave my braids in for the entire washing process, prepoo, shampoo and deep condition. This is key! My hair never ever gets a chance to tangle through the entire process, so combing at the end is so easy! I was skeptical at first about DC'ing in braids, I wasn't convinced that the product would thoroughly coat my strands, but it works! I use an applicator bottle with a nozzle to get down near the roots, and I always DC with a hooded dryer so this may help the product to adequately reach the inner strands.

In the end because my hair never had a chance to tangle, "detangling" is as simple as running the comb through each section to get rid of any minor tangling, and then I run my knock-off denman through to remove any shed hair. It takes 5-8 minutes, at the most 10 if I had been wearing a textured style the previous week.

sharifeh

I swear by this method, I am 12 months post, and washing in sections has allowed me to hang onto my relaxed ends, avoid splits, and my "detangling" time is around 5-10 minutes for my entire head.

I usually wear my hair straight so pre-wash it is already detangled. I part my hair down the middle of my head (hairline to nape), and then further divided those halves into 3 sections each. This leaves me with 6 sections. I have experimented with smaller sections, but 6 seems to be the magic number to allow me to adequately get to my scalp, smaller braids tend to be too tight for this.

I leave my braids in for the entire washing process, prepoo, shampoo and deep condition. This is key! My hair never ever gets a chance to tangle through the entire process, so combing at the end is so easy! I was skeptical at first about DC'ing in braids, I wasn't convinced that the product would thoroughly coat my strands, but it works! I use an applicator bottle with a nozzle to get down near the roots, and I always DC with a hooded dryer so this may help the product to adequately reach the inner strands.

In the end because my hair never had a chance to tangle, "detangling" is as simple as running the comb through each section to get rid of any minor tangling, and then I run my knock-off denman through to remove any shed hair. It takes 5-8 minutes, at the most 10 if I had been wearing a textured style the previous week.

Wow thanks for this clear description!!
every time I have tried to wash in sections,I fail miserably, so I'll try your method next time!!

destine2grow

I have not tried to wash in sections but after reading KiSse description I will definitely try it. Thanks for the info!

BostonMaria

Now that my hair is longer I have no choice but to wash it in 2 sections. I just part it in the middle and put lots of conditioner on both sides.

KiSseS03

Wow thanks for this clear description!!
every time I have tried to wash in sections,I fail miserably, so I'll try your method next time!!

I have not tried to wash in sections but after reading KiSse description I will definitely try it. Thanks for the info!
Hey ladies! I hope it works for you, it has been a life-saver for me. I tried to wash my hair in sections years ago, but I would take down each section, and wash it individually and my hair would tangle anyway, so I figured what's the point? This way has changed the WHOLE game! I love it. :grin:

BeautifulRoots

OMG...this sounds like a LIFE SAVER!! Seriously, thank you for posting that...never thought of leaving the braids in and just washing my hair like that...I usually wash in four sections but take each section out to wash, then have a long detangling process...wow...thank you again. I will try this next wash day, wish me luck! :drunk:

harrison

I agree with Kisse- 6 braids/twists works well. :yep:

The hair is sectioned when I prepoo with deep conditioner. I undo each section at a time to shampoo and detangle with my denman.

Bliss806

My hair is too short for this but I will make not of it to use this method when I get some length. Thanks for the details!

Lady Esquire

Now that my hair is longer I have no choice but to wash it in 2 sections. I just part it in the middle and put lots of conditioner on both sides.

Me too and still do. Doing it all together is inviting knots.

But I stopped with the plaits a while ago. And I remember I had little to no breakage washing in braids.

I like KiSseS03's description. Thanks!

BostonMaria

What is prepoo?

Pre-poo is kinda like a hot oil treatment. You saturate your hair with a certain oil and leave it on for a while, then rinse it out. For example I normally pre-poo with coconut oil and put on a plastic shower cap and let it sit for an hour or more. Then I rinse it out and style. Some people will shampoo, but I don't because it defeats the purpose (IMO).

Hope that helps.

baddison

natural for good
During the process, do the braids begin to unravel? Do you put a scrunchee or band at the end to keep the braids intact? I'd like to start using this process as I get nearer to APL, but my braids/twists unravel automatically as water begins to smooth thru it....

goldielocs

I try to do this with my DD hair but I still have a hard time cleaning her scalp in the front. That may be more of a clarifying issue. Even so, it is a whole lot easier to detangle since it didn't get tangled in the first place. This is a good thread.

MummysGirl

I just had to come back and say - I tried this today after reading your post.... :wow:

So much time saved!!!! I applied Aphogee 2 min reconstrutor, to 6 sections and braided, for a few minutes. Rinsed out, cowashed then applied my leave in conditoner and then took down each braid. I was able to finger comb :eek: Unbelievable!!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing!!! I always said I didn't "need" to wash in sections but now that I've tried this, I'm going to wash in sections 90% of the time.

Thank you :flowers:

lolascurls

I wash my hair in braids. i don't do shampoos but I pre-poo, co-wash and now also tea rinse. I don't undo the braids in between and my hair is so soft and DETANGLED! :drunk:
I was surprised this AM when I looked down and saw the time....I was so fast today! And I wash my hair in a sink so it doesn't get rushed in a shower!

KiSseS03

OMG...this sounds like a LIFE SAVER!! Seriously, thank you for posting that...never thought of leaving the braids in and just washing my hair like that...I usually wash in four sections but take each section out to wash, then have a long detangling process...wow...thank you again. I will try this next wash day, wish me luck! :drunk:

My hair is too short for this but I will make not of it to use this method when I get some length. Thanks for the details!

Me too and still do. Doing it all together is inviting knots.

But I stopped with the plaits a while ago. And I remember I had little to no breakage washing in braids.

I like KiSseS03's description. Thanks!
Hey ladies :wave:, no problem, I really hope it works for you, I can't say enough about this method, it has literally saved me soooo many strands. It has also made my wash days enjoyable again, there was a time that I dreaded washing my hair due to tangling :nono: it was part of the reason I relaxed after being natural for a year. It has also saved me soooo much time, 5-10 mins spent detangling my hair used to be unheard of! I'm confident that when I'm fully natural this method will work just as well! :yep:

During the process, do the braids begin to unravel? Do you put a scrunchee or band at the end to keep the braids intact? I'd like to start using this process as I get nearer to APL, but my braids/twists unravel automatically as water begins to smooth thru it....
Hey lady! I have to put ouchless bands at the ends of my hair because it is relaxed, I'm assuming that once I'm fully natural my hair will just stay in the braids, but really I have had no problems with the bands, I'm just extra careful to remove them. :yep:
I just had to come back and say - I tried this today after reading your post.... :wow:

So much time saved!!!! I applied Aphogee 2 min reconstrutor, to 6 sections and braided, for a few minutes. Rinsed out, cowashed then applied my leave in conditoner and then took down each braid. I was able to finger comb :eek: Unbelievable!!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing!!! I always said I didn't "need" to wash in sections but now that I've tried this, I'm going to wash in sections 90% of the time.

Thank you :flowers:
No problem transitioning twin :) I'm so glad it worked for you, and it's wonderful that you've found it now because I'm sure it will be great even when you're fully natural!

BlackMasterPiece

Wow, I feel like you read my mind and articulated my exact washing routine over the years to the letter!! Great explanation:yep:

Only difference is with me, more braids are better 10 is the magic number for me:grin:

silenttullip

I use sections with scrunchies and take the scrunchie out section by section no braids. after all is done i twist in about 12

KiSseS03

Wow, I feel like you read my mind and articulated my exact washing routine over the years to the letter!! Great explanation:yep:

Only difference is with me, more braids are better 10 is the magic number for me:grin:
Cool! Even more incentive for me to continue with this routine, if it will get me to your natural length!:grin:

PPGbubbles

I wash in 10 sections which I leave in to shampoo. I unbraid each section to apply conditioner then re-braid. I rinse the contioner out while still in braids and remove each braid and detangle. I rebraid or twist and airdry in the 10 sections

I love it! My hair thanks me for it as well....most of my time spent is braiding and unbraiding. I spend maybe 15 mins detangling total.

This method is a lifesaver 4 naturals and aids in retention

PPGbubbles

My braids never unravel as I wash. I used to do this method with twist and I find that those do unravel so now I take the extra time to braid and by extra I mean like 2 mins

dorko

i do everything in plaits
so much easier since i started this method!
it's been a hairsaver, timesaver, lifesaver, and transitionsaver for me

Queen_Earth

WOW!! Thank you soooo much!! I think this will help me fight my horrible breakage issues! I literally lose three huge packed, handfuls of hair with each wash...I will def try this in two weeks...my hair is pressed now so it should be easy this first time...I'm just wondering how it will work when my hair is in its natural state and I have to separate/section and braid the hair...we will see though! I am hoping and praying I dont lose nearly as much time or hair...