Crochet Kinky Twists - *Pics*

nikolite

So I tried Kellum's brilliant crochet kinky twists this weekend. I fell in love with the kinky twists I had a few years ago, but they pretty much ruined my hair. This was a much better alternative.

It took about 6 hours to do (although the first 2 hours I had no idea what I was doing and still learning to get a technique down). I'm gonna try to keep these in for 4 weeks.

I really like them. In the last pic, I have some pinned back with a jazzy bobby pin. What do you all think?

Attachments

• 100_0483.jpg
    100_0483.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 404
  • 100_0519.jpg
    100_0519.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 433
  • 100_0522.jpg
    100_0522.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 434
  • 100_0508.jpg
    100_0508.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 392
  • 100_0515.jpg
    100_0515.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 419

ellcee34

Wow! They look awesome! I think I might try this for a vacation I'm going on next week. What kind of hair did you use?

nikolite

how long do you plan to keep them in? They look amazing I wud I like to try this? Do they show when you put them up?

I'm hoping to keep them in for 4 weeks. I normally don't go past two weeks with cornrows, but since they are hidden under the twists I won't have to worry about the frizz. (Plus I henna'd 2 weeks ago and its a lot stronger and less porous and frizzy). I'll spray them daily to moisturize and wash them with diluted shampoo and DC two weeks in.

They do show when I put them up, particularly on the sides because I didn't want the hair hanging off of my edges so I left those alone. Also, the plaits at the ends of my cornrows are cornrowed together and then pinned up on the side, so you can kind of tell there is a thick roll there in the back when my hair lifted high. I don't plan on wearing them up though. But I can wear them in a ponytail at the base of my neck. I think if you fill the sides and back in more you could wear them up.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
They look great! So did you crochet the loose hair then twist it or did you twist first then crochet? TIA!

Curlybeauty

Wait so you put these in, and did your own kinky twist? I'm kind of slow...

So basically, I have to know how to do a kinky twist?

RubyWoo

I love your hair!! Do you find them heavy at all? I would love to do this style but fear that they may be too heavy.

nikolite

They look great! So did you crochet the loose hair then twist it or did you twist first then crochet? TIA!

I crocheted the loose hair first, then tied a knot, then twisted the hair while it was hanging off of my cornrow.

Wait so you put these in, and did your own kinky twist? I'm kind of slow...

So basically, I have to know how to do a kinky twist?

Yeah, but its not hard at all to do a kinky twist. If you already know how to 2-strand twist your own hair, its exactly the same. The hair forms into the "kinky" style itself. The only difference is that you have to twist the hair counter-clockwise for it to form correctly.

I love your hair!! Do you find them heavy at all? I would love to do this style but fear that they may be too heavy.

Surprisingly, its not heavy at all. The hair is really light and fluffy. I don't feel much weight pulling on my hair, my head just feels a bit warmer, LOL.

nikolite

What did you do with the ends of your cornrows? Did you sew them with thread?

I cornrowed them all together going across, braided the resulting plait to the end, and then pinned it up in between two rows on the right with bobby pins. A pic of the end result is attached.

Did you cut the eon hair in half or use the whole length

I used the whole length.

Attachments

• 100_0490.jpg
    100_0490.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

ajoke

They look really nice. Didn't your hair hurt when putting the crochets in?Can you recommend any tutorial where I can learn to do these? TIA.

levone

This looks great! Wow, I think this is a great idea. I may try this soon as my own hair in twists get frizzy pretty quickly since I work out five days a week.

nikolite

They look really nice. Didn't your hair hurt when putting the crochets in?Can you recommend any tutorial where I can learn to do these? TIA.

There were some parts up front (around my hairline) that hurt a little when I tugged on the twists, but for these I had my hubby hold down the base while I finished the twist. They were only a few. But the rest didn't hurt at all.

Here is a great tutorial. She uses a different type of hair (freetress water wave) and she doesn't twist or plait it once she crochets it in, but I did it the exact same way except I twisted the hair after knotting it. I plan on doing this style with water wave hair in the future too.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTDxOgUM1vI
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWtfmuN0ggk&feature=related
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HRjDqo69mA&feature=related

Ms. Alainious

This is great!

I'm bored with my hair, and this a perfect way to keep my hands out of it for a few weeks.

My last crochet attempt was a disaster, but this should be much easier.

Thanks!