Can you safely remove permanent dye?

dlove

1. What is the procedure to remove permanent dye?
  2. How damaging is it and is it safe? I have the oriental black Bigen in my hair now and I want a bronze color. I am 4b all natural with resistant gray. Henna is out of the question because I think it is too tedious and time consuming- from what I've read.
  3. Any suggestions for color rinses that "take" to resistant gray?
  4. I had a beautician tell me my hair was damaged because I dyed my hair black with Bigen. How can you tell if your hair is damaged from dye with PPD- ie Bigen?
  5. How long should one wait before coloring hair?
I dyed my hair Nov. 25, 2007. The grays are started to show.:blush:

Thanks in advance ladies.

lboogie2679

I'm not an expert but from others experiences the only way to remove color is by basically bleaching the hair (lifting the color). This is extremely damaging to the hair and the only people I know that have been able to do this without breakage are white people. I have been coloring my hair for about 15 yrs, every color you can think of from black to blond, and it isn't the healthiest practice. I would suggest if you really want something different to do a rinse. Jazzing has some great colors. If you want it to show on top of the black you will have to get on of their loud colors, but don't worry it won't turn out loud bc your coloring on top of black that will tone the color down alot. HTH

glamazon386

There are some products on the market that are supposed to remove color but in most cases they damage the hair. Your best bet would be to grow it out. Especially that Bigen. That's the only way to get it out because it's so dark.

good2uuuu

I actually found a product at Sally that is non-damaging to remove permenant color. It did the trick for me. The front is till a little darker than I want, but when I do the process again, I am not going to use the hydrogen peroxide rinse. My hair was perfectly dark brown after removing the black till I used that rinse. ColorFix is the product I used. No bleaching involved. HTH.

dlove

Thanks ladies. I read good reviews about the colorfix and a few bad. Since I already had a lift job in August. I think I'm going to have to let the Bigen grow out. Ever since the beautician told me that my hair was damaged because I have Bigen in it, I cant help thinking that my hair is damaged all the time. Thats why I want it out.My hair is not breaking, I dont have any bald spots, and its not overly weak. I get very few hairs in my pick and wide tooth comb even though I comb my hair only after conditioning it once a week.

I've got to get these grays out of here though.

good2uuuu

How is Bigen damaging your hair? My hair has always been healthy with it. I haven't used it in a while, but my hair always did well with it.