What temperature is your flat iron set on?

yora88

This is just a general question to the ladies that flat iron. What temperature is your flat iron set on? TIA

yora88

I just now got a new flat iron after being on a no heat hiatus. I learned that 410 is too hot. I will try 375 the next time I straighten.

nikki2229

Works perfectly for my DD hair but leaves mine slightly fluffy. I don't flat iron often though but she gets her hair pressed regularly.

Missi

My CHI only has an on & off setting :/

Sent from my HERO200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

EllePixie

400...I initially had it on 410 because I wasn't getting my ends good, but then I started comb chasing and found I could lower it, and do one pass.

I posted this in another thread but I think these are good guidelines for heat from Natural Haven:

Stage 1 : At and below 150 degrees C (302F)
Loosely bound water and tightly bound water is lost from the hair

Stage 2: At 160-175 degrees C (320 -347F)
Hair undergoes a glass transition phase (meaning the hair begins to flow as hot glass would). Plastic deformation is possible (meaning in a 'normal' hydrated state, hair is elastic and can stretch and return back to its original length. Hair does also have temporary plasticity which is why styles like roller sets, twist outs/knot outs can occur. However at this heating stage, the plasticity is NOT temporary, the hair may return to a 'normal' looking state but it will not be exactly the same)

Stage 3: Between 215 and 235 degrees C ( 419-455F)
The keratin in hair has a natural twist to it knows as an alpha helix (α-helix). This twist is present in all keratin, whether straight hair or curly hair. At this stage the helices of the hair protein melt (not reversible).

Last edited:

LovelyNaps26

i have a solia. if my hair is very moisturized (with deep conditioning) before flat ironing 370 will do just fine. i'm afraid of damage so i try to keep under 400

kblc06

About 340-370 F with 2 passes. I normally flat-iron after a rollerset so it's pretty much straight. Never any higher than 375F. I sometimes go lower (275-300 F) if I just want to stretch my hair so that it still has some texture.

beana

380F gets my 7 months post/ transitioning hair straight with one pass. I have a sedu

naturalTAN

I've flatironed once since my bc and this was at 350 after a rollerset. My hair got silky straight, but I had trouble with reversion with one clumped curl on my nape. I did the Aphogee 2 step and it sprang right back to normal. I think I'll try 330 next time which should be in about a month.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I use 390 on my new growth roots and crown. These areas are harder to tame.

I use 360 on my sides and the front of my hair which is thinner and less coarse than the back.

I use 310- 330 for touch ups depending on how much reversion I may have.

I'm 3c texlaxed. Also I only use one pass at these temps. If I need two passes, I apply more heat protectant one my hair cools and go over it again at 310.

RainyDaze

370 with my FHI, but it makes my hair too straight, even though I'm 6 months post. I will use a lower setting next time I use it and see how that goes.

yora88

I used to have a maxiglide, which died, and I always used level 5/6. I bought a new flat iron last night that has temperature settings so I just wanted to know what temperature you lovely ladies used. Thanks for all the responses!

kblc06

370 with my FHI, but it makes my hair too straight, even though I'm 6 months post. I will use a lower setting next time I use it and see how that goes.

carsamI have the FHI platform and it 370 is high for me as well. That flatiron is a beast. I really don't have to go past 350 if my hair has been properly stretched first.

MilkChocolateOne

original Sedu - 320

Croc 2, Croc designer - 350

Solia, H2Pro, Cortex, Hana Professional- 370

Amika, deep brilliance flat iron - 400