Ponytail = Headache. Why?

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I'm trying to figure out why ponytails give me a headache. I have my hair in a loose pony right now, the band wrapped twice around, hair still very movable but it made my head hurt. I am extremely envious of you ladies who can wear ponytails all day everyday, even at night and you don't have any issues. What gives? Even headbands make my head hurt.

bestblackgirl

How long is ur hair? For some reason, some people with long hair I hear can't wear a bun for more than a couple hours bc they start to get a headache.

Tarae

I have that problem too. I can't keep buns in long at all and I never wear them tight so I doubt that's the problem. I can only wear certain headbands. And I get a horrible headache with my bonnet. It's weird.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I have that problem too. I can't keep buns in long at all and I never wear them tight so I doubt that's the problem. I can only wear certain headbands. And I get a horrible headache with my bonnet. It's weird.

Whats up with that??? I don't get it :nono:

natural buns/ pulled back styles kill my head...
pressed ponytails not so much... I actually lived in one just fine in college...
i dont know what the problem is when I'm natural though

MahoganyJazz

I started getting a MIGRAINE the other night from my hair being up in a pony tail. I was like, wth? That crap woke me up out my sleep!

a_shoe_6307

I can't wear certain headbands or have my ponytail too high for too long. Also, I can't wrap my hair. :nono: It gives my a headache and gives me a major sore spot in the morning when I wake up.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
its like that for me too. i dunno, maybe its the tension? even if i do it loosely, the edges of my hair still feel a lil tight and that can give me a headache. when i was natural it was worse. i would wear those ouchless bands holding my hair back and it really hurt. its like my hair is meant to be free lol. its like when naturals wear a big puff; it can start to hurt holding all that hair back!

jupitermoon

How long is ur hair? For some reason, some people with long hair I hear can't wear a bun for more than a couple hours bc they start to get a headache.

I have this problem. Sometimes if I put my hair up in a pony tail or clip the weight of my hair will give me a headache. Wet hair is particularly heavy. Putting my hair up while wet almost guarantees a headache for me no matter how loose I clip my hair up or tie the hair tie.

ETA: I was very tenderheaded as a child.

Qualitee

It only happens to me when I add a weave to my bun. I think its the weight my scalp isnt use to yet. I dont think Im tenderheaded.

Jenibo

Re: Ponytail = Headache. Why?

Those ouchless bands are the devil!!! Now that i'm bunning i haven't had nearly the amount of headaches i had when i was wearing a puff with those ouchless bands

Anaksunamon

I have this problem too. It has to be on the loose side. I occasionally can get away with a ponytail but not too often, well at least not without taking a migraine pill.

I am not / never been tender-headed either, I actually like a heavy hand. My hair is WL.

I was actually going to ask this question about headaches myself.

foxee

I'm trying to figure out why ponytails give me a headache. I have my hair in a loose pony right now, the band wrapped twice around, hair still very movable but it made my head hurt. I am extremely envious of you ladies who can wear ponytails all day everyday, even at night and you don't have any issues. What gives? Even headbands make my head hurt.

:bump:

Anyone have an explanation for this? I've been wearing wigs or half wigs for the past 2 years. I decided I was going to rock a puff or bun this summer. It seems that no matter what I use as a ponytail holder, I get a headache within minutes. I've tried placing the pony higher, lower, switching sides, to no avail.

FYI, my hair is 4B natural between SL and APL. When I BKT a few months ago I wore a pony around the house for a couple hours without any pain, but I shouldn't have to straighten my hair to pull it back.

Any suggestions?

NIN4eva

maybe it is disrupting the circulation...

I think you're right. There's a spot in the crown area of my head, if I put a barrette or clip of any kind in there the area gets cold after a bit then I get nausea and a blinding headache. After I find the offending clip and take it out the symptoms immediately subside. I was talking to my bf about this the other day and that's what we came up with.

belldandy

I think you're right. There's a spot in the crown area of my head, if I put a barrette or clip of any kind in there the area gets cold after a bit then I get nausea and a blinding headache. After I find the offending clip and take it out the symptoms immediately subside. I was talking to my bf about this the other day and that's what we came up with.

yea, its basically pulling the skin in a different direction than what it is used to, which could be causing headaches even if you wear your ponytail loose

drappedup

When I was younger and had longer hair and used to get my hair relaxed regularly I used to ALWAYS get headaches whenever I tried to wear my hair up.....any updo sorta style.....ponytail, bun, twisted kind of updo I invented when I was 13 (don't even know to WHAT to call it but I used clips lol >.< ), and so I just wore my hair down all of the time.

These days no real problem at all. I literally always have my up and it feels so normal and natural. I also used to never be able to sleep atwith my hair in a pony or updo, but now I do every night. IDK what it is tbh.

Truth

Interesting thread :yep:.. I can't wear high ponytails, but I can do low ponytails oddly enough..