Aloe Vera Hair Rinse?

KurlyNinja

I have been using 100% aloe vera on my hair after I co-wash as a hair rinse and its been LOVELY! It feels so cool and refreshing on my scalp and I actually have not seen ANY type of dandruff on my hair like I usually do. And dandruff is something I've been trying to fight off for a long time now. It got a lot better after I stopped relaxing but it was still there a bit sometimes.

Also now that I've started rinsing my hair with aloe vera, my hair has stayed more moisturized and its so soft and a supple. I've only done the rinse 4 times so far but I think I'm going to keep it as part of my reggie. I'll be sure to update this thread with the progress of the aloe vera rinses. This is the aloe vera liquid I've been using for my rinses.

I didnt see anything about Aloe Vera rinses on the forum anywhere so I decided to start this thread to see if anybody else is doing this. I highly recommend it for anybody having scalp issues, since aloe vera is known to help with healing. I also wanted to post a few articles I found on Aloe Vera and hair.

About Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a spiky plant native to southern and eastern Africa and is part of the lily family. It has yellow flowers and pulpy leaves with jagged edges. The clear gel found within the leaves is used topically to treat burns and other ailments. There are approximately 300 known species of the plant, although aloe vera (or "true aloe") is the species renowned for its moisturizing properties. Cleopatra is rumored to have used it to keep her skin smooth and supple. It is believed that the combination of enzymes, amino and fatty acids, minerals, vitamins and other substances are what give aloe vera its healing properties.

Conditioner and Moisturizer
Aloe vera can replace traditional hair conditioners and make hair shinier. Massage 1/2 tsp. of aloe vera gel into wet hair, let it set for one minute and rinse as usual. Additionally, if you are using powdered hair dye, aloe vera gel can be mixed with the solution beforehand to combat the drying properties of the dye.

Hair Loss
Aloe vera has been heralded as a treatment for hair loss, due to many of the vitamins and minerals found within the plant mimicking the chemistry of the human body. In addition, chemicals can hasten hair loss, so eliminating hair products with harmful ingredients will allow damaged hair follicles to heal. For an at-home treatment, pour a small amount of an herbal shampoo into a bowl and add two times the amount of aloe vera gel (for best results, use a 100 percent stabilized aloe vera gel vs. the actual aloe vera plant.)

Hair Growth
In addition to halting hair loss, aloe vera is believed to promote the growth of new hair. Aloe vera balances PH levels and stimulates scalp enzymes, which in turn prompts hair growth. To gain this benefit, massage aloe vera into the scalp and leave in for 30 minutes before rinsing. Over time, the scalp will shed the dead hair follicles and new hair follicles will grow in their place.

Dandruff
People who suffer from dandruff, which is characterized by a flaky, itchy scalp, should consider aloe vera for relief. Causes of dandruff include stress, diets high in sugar and low in fats, excessive blow drying and shampooing hair in hot water. Aloe vera gel straight from the leaves of the plant can be rubbed on the scalp, left in overnight and shampooed out the following morning.

Read more: Uses of Aloe Vera for Hair Care | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5493853_uses-aloe-vera-hair-care.html#ixzz1udvSMMdy

KurlyNinja

Source of Vitamins and Minerals
The aloe vera plant contains minerals, amino acids, and vitamins reports Aloe Vera Benefits.com. It contains vitamins A, C, and E and several B vitamins such as B12 and folic acid. Dr. George Obikoya in his article "Vitamin for Your Hair" reports B vitamins are especially useful for hair growth. Vitamins C and E are antioxidants that reduce damage caused by free radicals. Many of these vitamins also strengthen your immune system, which fights diseases that affect your hair and scalp, such as seborrhea, psoriasis, and eczema. Aloe vera contains calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, copper, zinc, and several other minerals. Dr. Obikoya also states that a daily dose of zinc and magnesium helps your hair grow strong and healthy.

Source of Amino Acids
Your body cannot manufacture many of the amino acids it needs. Taking aloe vera, whether as a capsule or a drink, supplies the amino acids your body needs for hair production. Dr. Obikoya also reports that "Amino acids are crucial to the metabolic pathways involved in keratin protein (hair)." Your hair is made of keratin; without these nutrients, your hair growth slows or even stops. According to Dr. Obikoya, this leads to hair loss.

Soothing Properties
Another major benefit of aloe vera is its anti-inflammatory properties. Aloe vera is well known for treating sunburn, cuts, and scratches. You can also directly apply aloe vera juice or gel to calm an itchy scalp and alleviate discomfort

Read more: The Benefits of Aloe Vera Plant on the Hair | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7210239_benefits-aloe-vera-plant-hair.html#ixzz1udxQiFPe

Hair Loss is a traumatic experience whether the person losing hair is male or female. When it comes to prevent excessive loss of Hair there are many choices- which can basically be divided into 2 categories. Natural Treatment and Artificial (chemical) Treatment.

But unfortunately many Chemical based Hair treatment products simply create confusion and frustration among the people who losing hair. But for many sufferers using Aloe Vera for treating Hair Loss been the best choice.

Traditional use of Aloe Vera has been long known (which is on cut, burn, bruise etc) in addition, the Native American populations of North America, Indians and many in the Caribbean have long used Aloe Vera inner gel to keep their hair healthy and prevent it from falling out.
Aloe Vera gel have many benefits to the overall health of the Hair. It helps heal any damage on the scalp, balance the pH level, cleans the pores, prevents excessive loss of hair, relieves scaly or itchy scalp, oily hair, dandruff, renew cycle within the follicles, regulate sebaceous function, and maintain proper physiological balance in the scalp.

And one of the biggest benefit of using Aloe Vera is it helps reduce Seborrhea. Seborrhea is a condition where the sebaceous secretion combines with dirt and forms scales on the skin of the head that prevents the proper Nutrition for Hair. The cause is linked to stress, hormonal changes, fatigue, genetic factors, and pollution. Severe cases of seborrhea may lead to infection and damage to the follicles, resulting in partial Baldness.

Use Aloe Vera gel to treat the areas of the scalp that are going Bald. Aloe vera contains an enzyme that helps promote new hair growth for some people. The gel can be applied directly to the scalp, as external use of Aloe Vera has no side effects.

http://www.whyaloevera.com/hair-loss.html

I'm really interested in finding more about aloe vera and hair. I'm going to go to my school's campus library tomorrow and try to find some articles on aloe vera and hair. Hope these help some.

mg1979

I used this same aloe vera on my scalp the first year after I stopped relaxing too. My scalp was really damaged from relaxers. The dandruff also got better after I stopped relaxing but I still needed more & I felt like this helped. I used it in mixes sometimes to because I liked that it didn't require refrigeration like aloe vera gel. I always wondered if it had the same benefits but no one else really talked about it for hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

faithVA

KurlyNinja, How much are you using to rinse? And you spraying it on, pouring it on or applying it with your hands?

After you rinse then what are your next steps?
How often are you using it a week?

tia

nickmack

I've been using aloe vera juice + water in a refrigerated spritz bottle for a month and some change now - and I have ZERO scalp problems now! My sister and I have seb derm on our scalps and I've also started spritzing her hair + scalp with the AVJ while she's in braids and for the first time in YEARS her scalp is free of flakes and irritation. She was using a topical ointment from the dermatologist but it decreased the flakes and inflammation...when we added the daily AVJ spritz it completely eliminated it.

I haven't tried an actual rinse with AVJ though, this may be something to look into. AVJ has left my scalp and my hair very, very happy :)

BraunSugar

I have never used it as a rinse, but I have put it in a spray bottle to use as a detangling aid and a moisturizer. I also add it to my DC mixes.

jessicarabbit

wow this is really amazing. I love Aloe vera juice. Its another one of those magical natural ingredients like coconut oil. I didnt know it had protein-like qualities too, no wonder it decreases my breakage.

MicheePrings

I have been using aloe vera juice in my deep conditioner mixes for over a year now. It helps to smooth down the hair shaft and makes the conditioner that I am using absorb better into the hair. I'm sure it has aided in scalp issue as well because I don't get the itchy scalp like I used to.

KurlyNinja

KurlyNinja, How much are you using to rinse? And you spraying it on, pouring it on or applying it with your hands?

After you rinse then what are your next steps?
How often are you using it a week?

tia

faithVA

I take about 1 cup of the liquid aloe vera and pour it over my head in the shower after I co-wash. I try to make sure that I get aloe vera on all parts of my scalp. I focus more on getting it on my scalp since its helping with my dandruff and thats usually good enough to get all of my hair as well. I then squeeze any excess liquid out and add my leave-in and sealant (usually castor oil). And now since its the summer I'm doing lots of WnGs so I've been putting flaxseed gel over the castor oil.

My hair has been MOISTURIZED. Its super soft and I havent really seen any new SSKs ( I just got a trim so all my SSKs were gone). Its also been having a nice natural sheen to it as well. I've been doing the rinse on an average about 2x a week since I co-wash every 3-4 days.

guyanesesista

wow this is really amazing. I love Aloe vera juice. Its another one of those magical natural ingredients like coconut oil. I didnt know it had protein-like qualities too, no wonder it decreases my breakage.

Yup it has 18 out of 22 amino acids. Also using the juice from the bottle is way different from using it straight from the leaf. When using the bottled juice I get more of a ph balancing, moisturizing effect and with the leaf I get more of a protein effect and it s some strong stuff. I blended and covered my relaxed hair in it a few years ago to discover how very strong it really is. Lawd my hair was stiff. Aphogee move over!!!

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I've been using aloe vera juice for a minute. I starting using it initially for Chicoro's prepoo recipe. I made a mix of aloe vera juice and whatever oil I was feeling when I made the spritz. Also recently made a mix of distilled water and aloe vera juice. I think I got that idea from @Eisani. I use either of these mixes for moisturizing (most times dry hair) my hair. Now that I'm making my own tea spritzes I'm adding aloe vera juice to them too. My hair :love: aloe vera.

When transitioning and doing wet twist outs I used aloe vera jelly to twist. Nothing else. Amazing twistouts. No stickiness. Moisturized hair.

Thanks @KurlyNinja for starting this thread. Now I have another way I can use it.

Last edited:

soonergirl

thanks for the tip... I have it in my spray bottle, dont know why i never rinsed with it..I love George's brand aloe.

KurlyNinja

I also started putting liquid aloe Vera in a spray bottle mixed with rose water and glycerin. I've been using it as a daily refresher for my WnGs. I feel like I'm living in moisture city and my scalp all always feels so refreshed.

KurlyNinja

Nix08 that's fine! Im looking for results from everybody. I just want to spread the goodness of aloe Vera for all hair types. Im want to start an aloe Vera challenge but don't know if others would be willing to join.

Ronnieaj

I love aloe vera juice; I use it in my acv rinses at a pretty healthy percentage. It's also in my leave-in at a high percentage. The only caution that I'd make is that it normally has a pH of 4, which can be borderline in terms of its causticness (but which also helps close the cuticle amazingly well, which may be why the hair feels so deliciously soft :yep:). That's why I do mix it with water; I personally like my rinses to be at a 4 pH if I'm going to rinse it out and a 5 if I'm going to leave it in. I quite literally keep a gallon at the house at all times.

KurlyNinja

Ronnieaj
I love aloe vera juice; I use it in my acv rinses at a pretty healthy percentage. It's also in my leave-in at a high percentage. The only caution that I'd make is that it normally has a pH of 4, which can be borderline in terms of its causticness (but which also helps close the cuticle amazingly well, which may be why the hair feels so deliciously soft :yep:). That's why I do mix it with water; I personally like my rinses to be at a 4 pH if I'm going to rinse it out and a 5 if I'm going to leave it in. I quite literally keep a gallon at the house at all times.

Is that the PH of the distilled liquid aloe vera as well? Or just the juice?

leigh.hill

Thank you soooooo much. I have a gallon of aloe vera juice in my fringe. I just it in my shampoo with tea tree oil to help treat my seb derm but I was not impressed. I will definitely try your technique and some of the other ones listed on this thread.

hair4romheaven

I dont rinse but I use it before cremes to twist hair. Once hair is twisted for weeks at a time I soak my ends and put on scalp. It reduces & untangles ssk on my ends.
I use inner filler so I put in protein shakes and use on face.

Ronnieaj

KurlyNinja,

I would be lying if I said I knew. But given that I've read (when considering buying powdered aloe vera to make my own juice) that 1 part of the powder to 100 parts water equals pure aloe vera juice, and that's a pH of 4, I would expect that distilled aloe vera would be around the same pH, and perhaps lower. But that's admittedly just speculation.