Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

firecracker

No only black folk word of mouth that if you mix sulfur 8 w/glovers mane your hair will be waist length with a quickness but the smell is horrid!:look:

Ok but seriously I don't know!:perplexed

naturalgurl

Just updated my fotki and posted this there. I use it mixed with amla oil. MSM is sulfur...

MSM is quickly becoming known for its role in hair growth. MSM is a naturally occurring form of sulfur found in many foods. However, conventional processing and cooking methods significantly decrease the effectiveness of MSM from foods. This is why it may be beneficial to supplement MSM for hair growth.

How does it work? MSM can naturally lengthen your hair’s growth phase.

Your hair grows in three cycles: Growing, Resting, and Shedding. Each and every hair on your head (even body) is in one of these phases at all times. However, you may not notice significant shedding, because you have many other hairs in the other two phases at the same time.

So how will MSM make your hair grow longer? If your “Growing” phase lasts two years, and your hair normally grows one half inch per month, your hair will only grow 12 inches before entering the resting and shedding phases. (24 months times ½ inch per month).

On the other hand, if your “Growing” phase lasts 3 years, then it will grow 18 inches. (36 months times ½ inch per month).

Since your growth phase is genetically determined, there is no way this will change unless you use a supplement containing MSM. MSM is known to naturally increase the length of your hair’s growing phase.

audacity.

No only black folk word of mouth that if you mix sulfur 8 w/glovers mane your hair will be waist length with a quickness but the smell is horrid!:look:

Ok but seriously I don't know!:perplexed

well, that's kinda the reason i am asking...in all the research that i've done, i've yet to find ONE study (or article for that matter) that says sulfur grows your hair when you put it on your scalp. there are a few that talk about the affects sulfur has on the scalp to rid the itchies and such, but even that aspect of topical sulfur usage is skeptical to me...

audacity.

Just updated my fotki and posted this there. I use it mixed with amla oil. MSM is sulfur...

MSM is quickly becoming known for its role in hair growth. MSM is a naturally occurring form of sulfur found in many foods. However, conventional processing and cooking methods significantly decrease the effectiveness of MSM from foods. This is why it may be beneficial to supplement MSM for hair growth.

How does it work? MSM can naturally lengthen your hair’s growth phase.

Your hair grows in three cycles: Growing, Resting, and Shedding. Each and every hair on your head (even body) is in one of these phases at all times. However, you may not notice significant shedding, because you have many other hairs in the other two phases at the same time.

So how will MSM make your hair grow longer? If your “Growing” phase lasts two years, and your hair normally grows one half inch per month, your hair will only grow 12 inches before entering the resting and shedding phases. (24 months times ½ inch per month).

On the other hand, if your “Growing” phase lasts 3 years, then it will grow 18 inches. (36 months times ½ inch per month).

Since your growth phase is genetically determined, there is no way this will change unless you use a supplement containing MSM. MSM is known to naturally increase the length of your hair’s growing phase.

is this taking MSM internally (we ALL know that it has been proven to speed up hair growth when ingested) or TOPICALLY???? :perplexed

firecracker

well, that's kinda the reason i am asking...in all the research that i've done, i've yet to find ONE study (or article for that matter) that says sulfur grows your hair when you put it on your scalp. there are a few that talk about the affects sulfur has on the scalp to rid the itchies and such, but even that aspect of topical sulfur usage is skeptical to me...
I tried MSM. Its a joint sulfur. It changed my hair texture, broke me out and gave me wild dreams. I stopped taking it:perplexed

naturalgurl

I put it on topically. Looks like it's another one of those things "not for everyone". I take a lot of herbal supplements so I chose topical over internal.

Firecracker, how did your texture change. No changes here so far and it says it could change your hair texture. Maybe I just can't tell.

gymfreak336

Here is my theory

Sulufr is widely regarded as a "Fertilizer" of the skin, hair and nails. The exact mechanism behind that isn't know but what we do know is that hair is composed of the sulfur bearing amino acids. Methionine, cysteine, a little taurine etc.. Sulfur also helps promote enzymes that are involved in protein assembly which would benefit hair since hair is protein. Sulfur also has a antibacterial effect which would help regulate the balance of good and bad bateria on your skin and scalp. It also is an anti-inflammatory and if your skin tissues are irritated, your body isn't going to perform any process involving them as efficently. Your skin is a semipermable membrane. It is able to absorb material directly into the cell, especially when the carrier is a lipid. If you increase the amount of sulfur your epithelial cells are receiving through diet and topical use, you promote faster, more effiecent protein assembly. This is also why sulfur is used in alot of lotions for people with dermatitis or acne. The antibacterial effect and the anti-inflammory properties of sulfur combined with the fact that sulfur is found in high amount of our keratin would allow our cells extra nourishment to package and assemble protiens like collagen protein in our skin or keratin protein in our hair and skin.

ebzonix

I've started to take MSM, (speaking of it, I need to take it now). I havent been regular with it though, I need to be so I can get the benefit of it.

firecracker

I put it on topically. Looks like it's another one of those things "not for everyone". I take a lot of herbal supplements so I chose topical over internal.

Firecracker, how did your texture change. No changes here so far and it says it could change your hair texture. Maybe I just can't tell.
It softened the texture and my strands were not as coarse feeling. It kinda of reminded me of when my hair was stripped with bleach. I liked it the softness.

audacity.

not knocking anyone who uses it topically, just wondering if using it topically actually GREW the hair the way it is said to do when taken internally...i myself was an avid MTGer in a former life...the info you posted didn't specify (i concluded that the article was referring to internal MSM as it mentioned supplements) which is why i asked topical or internal :)

gymfreak336 said:
Here is my theory

Sulufr is widely regarded as a "Fertilizer" of the skin, hair and nails. The exact mechanism behind that isn't know but what we do know is that hair is composed of the sulfur bearing amino acids. Methionine, cysteine, a little taurine etc.. Sulfur also helps promote enzymes that are involved in protein assembly which would benefit hair since hair is protein. Sulfur also has a antibacterial effect which would help regulate the balance of good and bad bateria on your skin and scalp. It also is an anti-inflammatory and if your skin tissues are irritated, your body isn't going to perform any process involving them as efficently. Your skin is a semipermable membrane. It is able to absorb material directly into the cell, especially when the carrier is a lipid. If you increase the amount of sulfur your epithelial cells are receiving through diet and topical use, you promote faster, more effiecent protein assembly. This is also why sulfur is used in alot of lotions for people with dermatitis or acne. The antibacterial effect and the anti-inflammory properties of sulfur combined with the fact that sulfur is found in high amount of our keratin would allow our cells extra nourishment to package and assemble protiens like collagen protein in our skin or keratin protein in our hair and skin.

So are you saying that since it is a "fertilizer" (i am contrasting/comparing it to plant fertilizer here) that sulfur makes for a better growing environment for hair? i can dig that...that is why it is used to alleviate itchies and the reason that i can find info about sulfur for this usage and nothing about its hair-growing qualities when used topically...

Last edited:

gymfreak336

not knocking anyone who uses it topically, just wondering if using it topically actually GREW the hair the way it is said to do when taken internally...i myself was an avid MTGer in a former life...the info you posted didn't specify (i concluded that the article was referring to internal MSM as it mentioned supplements) which is why i asked topical or internal

So are you saying that since it is a "fertilizer" (i am contrasting/comparing it to plant fertilizer here) that sulfur makes for a better growing environment for hair? i can dig that...that is why it is used to alleviate itchies and the reason that i can find info about sulfur for this usage and nothing about its hair-growing qualities when used topically...

That is what I think. I think growth aids in general make the growing environment better for hair growth by either reducing inflammation, increasing circulation, regulating oil and bacteria and things like that. T

Lavendar

I don't know of any studies done for topical sulfur use. I have tried it and it did seem to significantly increase my new growth. I didn't get to use it long enough to see how long this effect would have actually lasted. Unfortunately, my hair broke off wherever it touched my hair. I would try to concentrate it on my scalp, but still wispy hairs everywhere. I tried it a few times with a couple of different sulfur-containing products and came to the conclusion that my scalp loves it, but my hair cannot tolerate it. I do take 5000 mg of MSM per day. I had to work through the breakout stage. From other people's experiences, I knew it was coming so I just treated my face as best I could until the breakouts calmed down and went away. I do hate the blemishes, but I can say it was so worth it be patient and get through the rough spots. Allergy symptoms significantly reduced and no medication needed (lots of $$$ saved for hair products), old knee injury pain gone, forearm pain gone and typing speed significantly increased, regularity greatly improved. I can't do without it. I will say that if I slack up on the MSM, like I just did recently for about 2 weeks, I have to go through the whole breakout process again, but it doesn't seem to last as long.

naturalgurl

Did you ladies know that there are impure forms of MSM? Just a thought since Firecracker broke out and had weird dreams. Some MSM has fossil fuel and petroleum derivatives(which is fossil fuel). Using it topically works just as well. Once absorbed into the scalp it's in the blood stream. And as stated in the informative narrative ny gymfreak it's good for the environment of the hair for growth as well. Considering I've been doing the all natural thing since late January my hair is growing, no break outs and I have no ill words about it.

I get my MSM from: http://www.herbalremedies.com/1361.html
Read about it rather than take my word...

Last edited:

Lavendar

Fossil fuel??? Didn't know that. I do know that MSM is an internal cleanser and can kill parasites. I believe that's why people experience breakouts. You have to go through the purging stage. TMI, but it works just like a colon cleanser on me in the beginning then it keeps me very regular, which I have NEVER been. Just drink a lot of water and work on your skin until it starts to heal and glow.

PassionFruit

Did you ladies know that there are impure forms of MSM? Just a thought since Firecracker broke out and had weird dreams. Some MSM has fossil fuel and petroleum derivatives(which is fossil fuel). Using it topically works just as well. Once absorbed into the scalp it's in the blood stream. And as stated in the informative narrative ny gymfreak it's good for the environment of the hair for growth as well. Considering I've been doing the all natural thing since late January my hair is growing, no break outs and I have no ill words about it.

I buy sublimed sulfur powder... or flowers of sulfur powder and mix into my oil and/or moisturizer....

audacity.

thanks for the link, NG...:up:

Hair Iam

Here is my theory

WICKED >>you smart eh:yep:

robot.

i take it there are MSM supplements you can buy?

EDIT: nvm, found some!

Last edited:

PuffyBrown

This is good info. Gym, you got some off the hook chem. skilz...

I was just thinking when I was reading this post. Women have been using sulfur on their hair for years but I dont know why it has never commerically taken off.

Maybe because it is cheap to acquire and the big hair business rather promote their products. Also maybe because also some people are severely allergic to the sulfate group, maybe it has something to do with reglating the distribution of a potentially dangerous substance. who knows...... if it works thats great, because if it were approved by the FDA for topical hair growth, I bet the price would sky rocket, and then I would be stuck trying to bootleg...some sulfur concoction to see if it would make my hair grow...
"Just a thought" *CSI NY is on* C-ya.