Magic Star Comb...is it worth it?

simplyhair

My stylist uses this comb. Actually, she uses the Mini version. I must admit, I really like the comb. I got an opportunity to use it at her shop one day. I asked her how much she paid for it and she told me $9.99. She bought it at a professional beauty supply store.

I called the same store and they confirmed they have the Jumbo version also for $19.99. The store states that these combs are VERY popular. This store is on the South side of Chicago.

Here are the features:
Professional Hard Rubber - Magic Star - Jumbo Rake Comb

**100% HARD RUBBER COMBS FOR PROFESSIONALS
**MADE IN GERMANY by NEW YORK HAMBURGER
**Made from 100% PURE NATURAL hard rubber that is non-porous, guaranteeing hygiene and resistance to chemicals
**HAND MADE and highly polished, making them smooth and gentle to the hair and scalp
**TEETH are SAW-CUT, free of any seams, with round tips and sides

I found the same comb on www.zooscape.com. Hopefully, the link below works. The site also has comments from consumers regarding the Jumbo version.

So, does anyone think the comb is worth $9.99 and $19.99? I usually only pay $1.50-$2.00 at the most for my combs.

http://www.zooscape.com/cgi-bin/maitred/...10&Find.y=4

Last edited:

inthepink

I've heard good things about that comb. If they didn't have the big rake jumbo bone comb that I purchased from hairsense.com, I would have bought the magic star comb.

inthepink

Oh, I love it! I already owned 2 when I bought that one.

I have a smaller detangler comb, and then a fine tooth comb in addition to the big rake one. I know these combs will last a LONG time!

I purchased the magic star jumbo rake comb a few months ago and have been very pleased with it. I am trying to stretch out my relaxer time and that comb makes a big difference. I am considering purchasing one for my niece who has long thick natural hair. However, I have been curious about the bone comb and how it performs. But again, I have been very pleased with the magic star comb.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
That is an expensive comb$$$$$$$$$ Girl, you better go to Sally's and get you some Jilbere Shower Combs for $.99

simplyhair

Supergirl, you are so crazy. I just picked up a Jilbere Friday night for my CO. I was wondering if anyone was going to mention the Shower Combs. It seems that they are similar...seamless and smooth against the hair.

simplyhair

cherricola, thanks for the info. What is the big difference that you notice? Is it just less hair in the comb, less pulling, etc.?

bellydancer

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
That is an expensive comb$$$$$$$$$ Girl, you better go to Sally's and get you some Jilbere Shower Combs for $.99

[/ QUOTE ]You already know!

Vitality

I paid about the same amount for the bone combs I ordered in September. I really love my bone combs. I have not seen any hair in my combs and it feels really good on my scalp.

inthepink

I don't think the Jilbere shower comb is seamless...but it is still a good comb for the price and the seams are almost invisible. I like it but I do like my bone combs more!

Well, I am 11 weeks post relaxer so I have quite a bit of new growth. I am able to comb through my hair without snagging strands. My hair type is 4A/B. I also have a Jilbere shower comb, but it doesn't perform quite as well for me. Plus, the little painted on tips on the teeth of the Jilbere comb can become loose and snag hair--of course, you can just peel all the painted on tips off and be good to go. I am a PJ from way back and I have purchased some expensive conditioners for my hair so I figure hey, why destroy all that effort with a less than effective comb? But you know, I use CDHHB and gingelly oil and those products really soften my new growth. I may need to try my Jilbere shower comb again.

A_Christian

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad I saw this thread, I want to get some type of seamless wide-tooth comb soon.

Honi

There is no board.
Hairlove, what do you think of the big ole' rake comb from hairsense? Do you like it?

inthepink

Honi,

It's a nice comb but it's so big that it's taking me some time to adjust to using it. However, the times I've used it, I end up with no hair in the teeth. It's great for detangling under the shower stream.

taj

I'm going to purchase this comb! I'll get this comb instead of the bone comb.:yep: I don't mine spending the additional money if it's going to last and not snag my hair.

winona

YES YES YES OMGOODNESS. Eva since I changed my combs to Magic Star and Mason Pearson (rake, detangler, and rat t tooth comb(dont remember proper name:/) I have less breakage and much smoother detangling sessions. BTW I am 4b/4a natural :)

naijamerican

Yes, period, hands down. These combs are worth it. :yep: I bought them earlier this year and I really like them a log. I purchased multiple ones to help me detangle properly. I will never NOT use a seamless comb again. :yep:

TamedTresses

I have the rake, mini rake, contour comb (7370), detangling comb (1975), and the wider of the rat tail comb (6450). I :love: them! I don't use combs with seams anymore.

make_me_over

This looks similar to the super detangle rake #222 ($18.50) from hairsense.com. I have this one and 4 other bone combs. A seamless comb may be expensive, but it's worth the investment. I've had them for about 2 years now, they are the only combs I use.

SN: hairsense has great customer service. When one of my combs broke (it was defective imo, cuz these combs are super strong) I emailed the owner and she sent me another one quickly. I like their brushes too.