How often can I wash/co-wash my hair?

Glib Gurl

So, I am relaxed. I tend to wash/co-wash my hair 1-2 times per week. But I'm wondering if I can up that figure (probably will be co-washing). Basically when is it TOO much . . . I heard that Oprah gets her hair washed (because we know it's not her doing that head, it's Andre :giggle:) everyday . . . or at least every day that she is taping, which is, say, 5 days a week. And her hair is gorgeous . . . . Now I don't have her stylists skills, but I have lots of products :grin:

Thoughts?

I am Type 4 hair . . . .

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I would say you know you are co-washing too much when you are getting excessive buildup in a really short amount of time but not all conditioners are created equal so some conditioners you might be able to use more often without having much of a problem.
Also, take into consideration how much or what kind of products you are using on your hair in-between washes. Since washing with conditioner is not as powerful or cleansing as shampooing you don't want to go crazy with styling products and such because the conditioner is not going to get your hair as clean.
I don't cowash more than 1 time a week because I work out but I also shampoo once a week too. I have natural kinky-coily hair so I personally don't think it would be wise for me to wash everyday because I like to have detangled hair whenever I do.
I say try it and if it's too much, and I'm sure you'll know if it is, then go back to what you were doing before.
Hopefully, somewhere in that rambling there is something that can help you.:spinning:

CurlsBazillion

I think one could possibly co wash as much as they like as long as at some point they clarify. As far as shampooing everyday like Oprah.....I couldn't do it not just because I'm natural but because its just too much!!!!! I'd run out of leave-ins and moisturizers like every week lol and I'm not ballin like Miss I OWN everything lol. I say try clarifying every other week or once a month whatever suits you and see how you like it.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I think one could possibly co wash as much as they like as long as at some point they clarify. As far as shampooing everyday like Oprah.....I couldn't do it not just because I'm natural but because its just too much!!!!! I'd run out of leave-ins and moisturizers like every week lol and I'm not ballin like Miss I OWN everything lol. I say try clarifying every other week or once a month whatever suits you and see how you like it.
Yeah, what she said in much less words. :lachen:

Lucia

You could try just rinsing with water some days of the week instead of CW daily alternate and just rinse massage your scalp out some moisturizer or oil on ends and go.
I've been CW for years 1-2x week in winter and daily or every other day in summer i claryy more often then and I don't get build up cause I clarify with acv and water I only get build up when I use alot of eco styeler gel but acv takes care of that's too. I use it like a shampoo scrub my scalp and make sure it goes through all my length. Them o rinse water.
Now before trying it you should figure if your hair likes to be slightly acidic then use he acc water or if it likes to be slightly basic then use bicarbonate and water.
My hair hates bicarb I tried it and my hair was dry crunchy I quickly rinsed it out acv rinsed then DC for 1hr. I'm natural so you being relaxed your hair might like the basic side. Hth

Last edited:

Lucia

Yes
ITA if your hair likes daily CW go for it.
I don't think anyone should be shampooing daily unless you have extremely oily scalp.