Which is more damaging. Bone Straight relaxer or Relaxing every 6-8 wks

Which is more damaging Bone straight relaxer or relaxing every 6-8 wks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xcuzememiss

I ask this question because If you ever went to the salon and the stylist didn't process the relaxer long enough, you notice that newgrowth appears quicker.. I.e. 3wks post relaxer. This is not a "bad" thing, but for people that want to acheive bone straight hair, this can present a "problem".. So is it more more damaging to relax for bone straightness (newgrowth doesn't come as quick. longer straightness) or relax every 6-8 wks

SmileyNY

I think I know what you are trying to ask... However whether your hair is relaxed bone straight or not, your growth rate remains the same. Your new growth comes in at the same rate regardless.

What happens is, people usually get their hair styled, flat ironed or wrapped after a fresh perm, so the under processed areas don't show until later.

IMO... If the goal is bone straight hair, then the best thing to do is to relax the new growth bone straight every time. When you go back to perm under processed hair, that is a corrective... and (undeprocessed or not) constantly re-permimg hair that has already been relaxed isn't good, as we all know.

However, I am a texlaxer, my goal is to never get my hair bone straight, & I relax every 16 weeks, so perhaps someone with a bone straight relaxer can give a better answer.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Aireen

My hair I would say is bone straight. Relaxing every 6-8 weeks was more damaging for me personally, especially since stylists tend to overlap. Keep in mind that I stretch my relaxers for 4 months at a time.

Last edited:

IMFOCSD

Hi,

I am texlaxed and i relax every 12 weeks, i don't like bone straight hair on my because it looks too flat or thin. Texlaxing gives my hair the fullness that i like.

I wouldn't say your poll options are more damaging than the other as long as your are using healthy hair practices...ie moisture, protein, DC, etc.

xcuzememiss

i actually never considered the rate of hair growth.. Well maybe I never paid much attention to it in that context. Maybe its time to switch stylist. LOL

n_vizion

On the one hand a bone straight relaxer completely breaks the bonds of the hair which may leave it more fragile but on the other hand, relaxing frequently means that your (already bone straight) hair is exposed to the relaxer more often. Normally, a stylist doesn't prep the length of the hair prior to relaxing. So it's better prep the hair before heading to the salon to protect it from relaxer run-off.

Minty

this is a 6 in one hand 1/2 dozen in the other question. Stretching for some creates a huge problem. The hair has changed and therefore hair practices must also change. If a person can adapt to the hair as it grows, I say stretch when relaxing bone straight.

But on the other hand, overprocessing is overprocessing. It can happen with a little new growth (more likely) and it can happen with 3-4" of new growth just as easily.

Misseyl

Okay IMO I think both are damaging because if you bone straight every time then you leave no room for the next relaxer so you run the risk of breakage. I think I experience this awhile back because after a while it seemed like the left side of my hair was noticeably shorter than the right and I attribute it to the fact that I put the relaxer first on the left every time so the hair on that side was exposed to the relaxer for longer periods of time every time I relax. And if you relax every 6-8 weeks you also overlap because most people don’t have at least 2-3 inches of new growth so you also run the risk over overlapping.

I am now thinking how to relax my hair w/out this happening again. I think one of the things I heard mentioned here is that I should protect the relaxed ends with something, vaseline conditioner or something and I think that is what I am going to do to prevent breakage in the future.

snugglez41685

Okay IMO I think both are damaging because if you bone straight every time then you leave no room for the next relaxer so you run the risk of breakage. I think I experience this awhile back because after a while it seemed like the left side of my hair was noticeably shorter than the right and I attribute it to the fact that I put the relaxer first on the left every time so the hair on that side was exposed to the relaxer for longer periods of time every time I relax. And if you relax every 6-8 weeks you also overlap because most people don’t have at least 2-3 inches of new growth so you also run the risk over overlapping.

I am now thinking how to relax my hair w/out this happening again. I think one of the things I heard mentioned here is that I should protect the relaxed ends with something, vaseline conditioner or something and I think that is what I am going to do to prevent breakage in the future.

This is what I used to do when I was relaxed. I forget wher I learned this from but I did it. I used any hair produt with petroleum in it because using straight Vaseline didn't appeal to me.

Traycee

I don't know thats a hard one... I will say I when I started my journey and got to WL .. I did not stretch relaxers

OhmyKimB

I don't know which is damaging but I relax every 8 to 9 weeks. Its works for me and my hair is not bone straight.

I cannot and refuse to stretch
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using SAMSUNG-SGH-I897