For Those Who Make Whipped Shea Butter....

thehappyserver

I just made whipped shea butter using naptural85's recipe. I know that she keeps her raw shea butter in the fridge, but what about the whipped? Do you keep it in the fridge, or leave it out? How long of a shelf life does it have? Thanks!:spinning:

isawstars

I don't make whipped shea butter anymore but I made some last summer.... I just put some in a small container that I kept in my bathroom and the big container in the fridge. I think it took me like 2 months to finish a small container and it did not go bad. I kept refilling the small container until I ran out.

Tiye

I keep most oils in the fridge unless its one that has a long shelf life like coconut oil. I do this coz I learned the hard way when I had to throw out a lot of shea butter that went bad. I'd say the shelf life is about a year or so depending on what else you have in the mix. If you have a smaller container of whipped shea that you use regularly then I wouldn't keep it in the fridge. But if you make a big batch then store the rest in the fridge.

isawstars

isawstars Thank you! Can I ask why you stopped using it?

thehappyserver

Well I was using it for my skin not my hair. I think I just mixed it with cocoa butter, aloe vera, coconut oil... maybe that was it? Anyways, when I ran out of shea butter I kept putting off ordering some... and I started using coconut oil on my skin. I like it a lot better because of the scent. I don't really care for the "nutty" scent shea has.

DaiseeDay

Unrefined Shea butter does not spoil, you just need to keep it in a cool dry place. As long as you make sure you have 100% unrefined Shea butter you shouldn't have to worry about it spoiling. If it melts you can put it in the fridge to make it solidify again.

Kindheart

DaiseeDay said:
Unrefined Shea butter does not spoil, you just need to keep it in a cool dry place. As long as you make sure you have 100% unrefined Shea butter you shouldn't have to worry about it spoiling. If it melts you can put it in the fridge to make it solidify again.

Of course it spoils,just like every other oil,butter. It goes rancid .

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I make about 3/4 cup sized batches at a time, which lasts me about 2-3 months. I add tea tree EO as a preserveative. I keep it in the bathroom, I haven't had any issues with rancidity.

cbanks67

I don't have any issues with mine. I make it and put it in the bathroom for a month or 2 and its fine. Of course I don't keep it lying around for years at a time. I put different oils and essential oils that help preserve it and make sure I use what I make.

crazytrish75

I just finished off a jar i whipped up and have been working on since January. My mix is simple, unrefined shea, coconut oil, and vitamin E (natural preservative). I add a creamy coconut essence to it to make it smell yummy :lick: So far I havent had any rancidity issues. After I blend, I put it in the freezer for a few minutes to aid in the "whipped" texture. Then i store it at room temp in the bathroom. This is wonderful for my NG when i get deep in a stretch :yep:

crazytrish75

thehappyserver
I bought it off of amazon.com. It smells wonderful and covers that shea butter smell.
The seller is Eternal Essence Oils, I tried to copy and paste a link and it wouldnt work from some reason. Just go to amazon and type in "coconut cream fragrance oil". I bought several oils from there and they all smell delicious

lamaria211

thehappyserver said:
I just made whipped shea butter using naptural85's recipe. I know that she keeps her raw shea butter in the fridge, but what about the whipped? Do you keep it in the fridge, or leave it out? How long of a shelf life does it have? Thanks!:spinning:

What's the recipe?

thehappyserver

-Unrefined Shea Butter at Room Temperature
-About 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
-About 1 tsp Olive Oil
-About 1 tsp Castor Oil
-About 1 Tbsp Jojoba Oil
-About 1/2 tsp Vitamin E

I used all of these ingredients but in smaller amounts because the batch she made was much larger than mine.

lamaria211

thehappyserver said:
-Unrefined Shea Butter at Room Temperature
-About 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
-About 1 tsp Olive Oil
-About 1 tsp Castor Oil
-About 1 Tbsp Jojoba Oil
-About 1/2 tsp Vitamin E

I used all of these ingredients but in smaller amounts because the batch she made was much larger than mine.

Are you using it as a moisturizer or a sealant? TIA

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
From other posts, I guess it does spoil! I make about 5oz-6oz jar's worth and both me and DD go through that in like 2 months...or less... :look: we use it from head to toe tho... Sounds like the shelf life is at least a year tho. can't imagine having any unused that long!

cutiebe2

I never knew shea butter goes bad, but I also use it quickly.

I made shealoe using a recipe that uses honey and vitamin E as preservatives