hair breaking from the ends after relaxer

ANaturalBrotha

My girlfriend's ends broke off so after her hair was relaxed it didnt look any longer after all the hair broke off. we cannot get her hair to stop breaking

Healthb4Length

Hi, I posted something about this awhile back so maybe this can help. Whenever I get my hair relaxed, even if the stylist is great I wash my hair within 2-3 days after with a neutralizing shampoo. Why? Because stylists don't always wash out the relaxer especially in the nape area. What I suggest you do is get a neutralizing shampoo like vigoral and wash hair with that. THen I would put in a serious protein like Aphogee (smells bad but works) Make sure you read the instructions on the Aphogee. It HARDENS ON THE HAIR, DON'T COMB IT OUT HARD WILL BE HARD LIKE A HELMET. sit under a dryer with Aphogee on for about 30 minutes and then GENTLY wash it out, DO NOT COMB THIS STUFF OUT wash it out. and then follow again with a moisturizing conditioner (like a 5-7 minute hair mask like silk elements mega cholesterol). Please try this method and tell me how things go.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
It sounds like there may have been some overprocessing done to the hair. I would strongly advise her to start using a reconsructor on the hair like Apoghee or Nexxus Emergencee asap. Keep using it until the breakage stops. Also use a clarifying shampoo to remove left over residue from the relaxer.

patience

Sounds like she needs to leave the relaxers alone. Relaxers break hair bonds, that's how it gets hair straight. Since she is now relaxed, has her hair been trimmed and deep conditioned?

MissMarie23

She does NOT need to 'leave the relaxers alone' if she chooses to have relaxed hair.

A good protein treatment, and moisture can be helpful in combating breakage. Also, if she is using heat or wearing complicated styles, that can cause breakage.

Using protective (heat free!) styles, and taking steps, such as sleeping on a satin pillow case can also be helpful.

What kind of relaxer does she use (lye or no-lye?) What strength is the formula? Were you careful not to overlap?

Haleni

Nexxus Emergencee stopped my breakage, immediately. Aphogee worked for a couple of day. The Nexxus is expensive, but worth it. HTH

NubianAngel

Is this the relaxer you gave her? It may help if you mentioned the technique and if it was applied to the ends. From what you've said about her hair, I do think it needs a break. No weaving and extensions, no chemicals, just a break.

I know there is some tension about relaxers on this board right now, but I;m going to agree with Patience on this one.

Tai

To help with the breaking and shedding, she might want to go ahead and do a protein treatment. Even though I'm not saying for her to avoid relaxers completely (it's her hair, she can do what she wants to do) it might be a good idea to let her hair recover without any chemicals, braiding, weaving, etc. Putting anything on her hair could cause more damage, whether that is another relaxer, texturizer, braids or a weave. I would consider doing some protein treatments, a stronger one like Aphogee or Emergencee, and then follow up with milder ones like AO GBP until her hair is stronger. Then she can decide what she'd like to do with her hair from there. If it's badly damaged, she may have to consider cutting it. A protein treatment can help but sometimes it may not be enough.

HTH. Good luck!

ShaylaCheri

Im glad someone posted this. Ive permed my own hair for years and never once experienced the problem I am having now. I did a perm a few weeks ago and it has been shedding/breaking non stop ever since. I am going to go purchase the Nexxus Emergence ASAP tomorrow. I have Aphrogee, but I dont have a hooded dryer to sit under and I hate letting it air dry...Ive been using Pantene For Women of Color once a week and Surge (Woojee Cream and the Spray) faithfully, but hair is still all over the place. I hope there isnt much damage.

Tracy

How long did it take for "all of the ends" to break off? This sounds very unusual...

Can you give more info? How long did she wait btwn relaxers? How long ago was her last one? How long has the breakage been going on? What's her normal regime?

I remember she was in braids for a while.

patience

[ QUOTE ]
Poetess232 said:
She does NOT need to 'leave the relaxers alone' if she chooses to have relaxed hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

From his initial post, it sounds as if she might. As usual, we disagree.

If your girlfriend chooses to keep her hair relaxed, she REALLY needs to take care of it. A deep condition and a trim are definitely something that I would recommend. I'd also suggest that she NOT use heat on her hair because it can also lead to breakage. She also needs to drink plenty of water is she doesn't do so already and she needs to eat plenty of fresh/raw fruits and veggies. Since she is having breakage, she may want to try Nexxuss Emergencee or Aphogee. Both work really well but aren't the best smelling in my opinion. However, be sure to moisturize after using them. Also, keep the hair moisturized in general. If her hair is not long enough for protective styles like french rolls and buns, she may want to try roller set styles, rods, straw sets, etc.

Hope this helps.

ANaturalBrotha

I trimmed her hair which helped alot! its not near as much breakage before the trim. she havent had a perm in like 3 months. We used soft & beautiful for coarse hair. I will try the nexxuss if i can find it.

patience

[ QUOTE ]
ANaturalBrotha said:
I trimmed her hair which helped alot! its not near as much breakage before the trim. she havent had a perm in like 3 months. We used soft & beautiful for coarse hair. I will try the nexxuss if i can find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool. Make sure that she deep conditions and keeps her hair moisturized as well. And drink plenty of water. If you have a JCPenney where you live, you should be able to purchase Nexxuss products there if they have a salon. Most major department stores have salons and usually carry Nexxus products. She may also want to look into Keracare or Mizani Products. I don't know about the relaxers, but their conditioners are GREAT and their shampoos aren't that bad either. If she's into natural shampoos, I'd also suggest purchasing some Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap and diluting it with water. Then add some Olive oil, vitamin E and Aloe Vera Gel. It works great for my hair. They sell the small bottles at Whole Foods Grocery if you have one near you. You can also order it offline.

What are you guys using for a moisturizer? Does she do hot oil treaments? What kind of shampoo is she using? I'll let the permies talk to you about the relaxer choices...

Pepperanne2

Maybe her hair isn't/wasn't as course as she thought it would be which in my opinion would say the relaxer used was "super" (??).

Now granted she doesn't have to forego relaxers BUUUUT...what she can do is try and stretch them a bit and/or (as was done for me and it works!)...add some conditioner to a mild or regular relaxer to tone down the strength a bit. Not a texturizer but not a harsh relaxer for sensitive tresses...just something to soften it a bit and not so rough on the cuticles. HTH...(I will find and bump my old post should u want further details).

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
Dang, you are off the hook. Trimming your girl's hair. How much you charge?

[/ QUOTE ]
I know.. I think that is so sweet

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
Long time no see naturalbrotha
Good luck in getting your gf's hair back on track. I'm placing another vote for the Aubrey Organics GPB. It works wonders with stopping shedding and helping to make hair stronger.

Irresistible

i guess i found the "suspect" thread that all the hoopla is over.....

well dang the suggestion to go natural was pretty benign to me.....

i guess it was the "sounds like she needs" that started the drama, but i can see how that could be meant to be totally an innocent helpfull suggestion.

but i guess wording like "if she would consider going natural that might help" would have been better recieved....

anyway , i know i hi -jacked the thread , but along the lines of all thats been goin on, just wanted to post my opinion about what i guess caused all the hoopla

but then i didnt see anyone relaxed gettin their feathers ruffled much either

ok , giving the thread back now

ANaturalBrotha

@Irresistible. I bought her a Keracare conditioner. As far as shampoo goes we pretty much don't know what to use. I've used alot of shampoo's that are too harsh for me but are fine on her. Some of them dry her scalp out but after a few days her scalp naturally lubes itself. Shes lucky because i would have flakes probably until the day before my next wash. There is a JC penny salon near me that's where i purchased Nioxin follicle booster for her egdes. It doesnt seem to be working though. We're not too consistent anyway