Dr. Oz: Hair Secrets from India

My Friend

Scalp massages with natural oils. Vigoriously massage scalp to increase circulation. Leave on for 30 minutes or sleep with them overnight.

Neem Oil = Dry Itchy scalp, cradle cap and/or dandruff. Natural antibacteria.

Coconut oil = Overprocessed hair.

Almond Oil = For thinning hair.

winona

I can definitely atest to Neem oil. It makes the scalp so healthy "BUT it shoul do STANK:)" I could never leave it on overnight no matter what I mixed it with. I normally leave it on for ~2hrs and shampoo out. It will not come out with just CoWashing in my experience:)

ElizaBlue

Wow okay I saw this to and just got through doing a search on it. I mean does it smell worse than say Sulphur 8...the original one or the old Mane and Tail Sulphur potion (the one that smelled like burnt bacon?)

silenttullip

coconut oil helps your hair get stronger too... I had lost much protein but now its strong already and WOW it's only been 2 weeks.

Nonie

Wow okay I saw this to and just got through doing a search on it. I mean does it smell worse than say Sulphur 8...the original one or the old Mane and Tail Sulphur potion (the one that smelled like burnt bacon?)

@ElizaBlue Yes it does. By far! At least with Sulphur 8 you know that's the smell of grease, albeit a strong smell. Sulphur 8 and Dax could both be recognized as hair grease. Neem Oil stinks so bad that I can't even think what to tell you it smells like.

I bought it when a lady at Whole Foods told me it's good for nails. I tried to use it, but nah suh! :nono: And we're talking about using it on finger nails which would be further than my scalp from my nose but I couldn't stand it. :barf: I washed my hands over and over to get that stench off. I dare say MTG might even smell better.

I ended up throwing the bottle away--and I'm the last person who accepts waste BTW, so this was really huge. But after holding onto it for a few years wondering what to do, I couldn't bring myself to open the bottle again and release that demonic smell; (yes, I was that scared of it :lol: ) so I just said goodbye to it.

ElizaBlue

@ElizaBlue Yes it does. By far! At least with Sulphur 8 you know that's the smell of grease, albeit a strong smell. Sulphur 8 and Dax could both be recognized as hair grease. Neem Oil stinks so bad that I can't even think what to tell you it smells like.

QUOTE]

Wow...okay mam you've convince me totally. I just did the coconut oil on dry hair but wanted so badly to do the Indian oil regime. I'll be ah skippin that one.

ElizaBlue

Oh and the part about the best massages for scalp should be done by your significant other...gee thanks Dr. Oz....I can't find a tigger that enjoys playing in my hair...where dem be at? Cause that's a keeper he could probably grow your hair using tap water...lol.

Seamonster

I love neem oil. It makes my hair feel like nothing else. It defines my curls, waves my hair, incredible shine, closes the cuticle, detangles, and stops breakage. It is also a natural form of birth control, reduces pest by making them infertile.

This stuff stanks! It smells like poison mixed with peanut butter, whew. I am having a hard time explaining how noxious this is. Thick, resinous, and stanky.

Eisani

Scalp massages w/oils is one of the main elements of an ayurvedic hair routine. That is no secret.

Neem is so beneficial but the smell is beyond description. I smell it and think of badly burned peanuts in concentrated form.

Seamonster

RarityFluttershy Most of the words on the bottle are in hindi so I do not know what brand it is. But it is packaged by Ashwin Pharma in India. The better neem oils are cold pressed, and have the distinctive burnt peanut, and motor oil smell.

Stepiphanie

I'm over here :lachen::lachen: at all of the comments on Neem oil. As a user, I can attest to the Stankness, I use it rarely and only for this scalp scrub that I do with brown sugar, neem oil and shikakai powder. Never used it on my entire head, though I may try next time.

cheryl26

Neem oil smells like liquified moth balls with sprinkles of mint leaves thrown in. It's bad...worse than Amla oil.

mscocoface

Ya'll got me over here hollering! LOL I must agree, that Neem smell is in a class of its own. There is nothing quite like it!

empressri

I love neem oil. It makes my hair feel like nothing else. It defines my curls, waves my hair, incredible shine, closes the cuticle, detangles, and stops breakage. It is also a natural form of birth control, reduces pest by making them infertile.

This stuff stanks! It smells like poison mixed with peanut butter, whew. I am having a hard time explaining how noxious this is. Thick, resinous, and stanky.

I was going to say the same thing, it's like a poisonous rancid peanut butter....but it works!! I have a bottle and I dab it on mosquito bites in the summer.

I had a neem and tea tree soap that works GREAT on my skin also.

Missjae09

Is Neem powder as effective as the oil? As far as I can tell it doesn't have a smell. I bought it at the suggestion of an Indian man I ran into at a store similar to Trader Joe's called Sevananda. I mix it with my shea butter mixture but I haven't really but using that on my hair.. more so on my body.

lesedi

All is well with me
what does Amla oil smell like? and vatika?
which one has that curry smell? i'd rather have dry hair than smelly hair.

winona

YES. I can't describe it a member suggested coconut oil and it help but oh my.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun

I bought it when a lady at Whole Foods told me it's good for nails. I tried to use it, but nah suh! :nono: And we're talking about using it on finger nails which would be further than my scalp from my nose but I couldn't stand it. :barf: I washed my hands over and over to get that stench off. I dare say MTG might even smell better.

I ended up throwing the bottle away--and I'm the last person who accepts waste BTW, so this was really huge. But after holding onto it for a few years wondering what to do, I couldn't bring myself to open the bottle again and release that demonic smell; (yes, I was that scared of it :lol: ) so I just said goodbye to it.

I've opened that bottle twice. I keep saying maybe I'll use it on my scalp before shampooing but that smell...

Minty

Neem is a great insecticide. *just my 2 cents.

I have an allergy to it - makes me itch.

faithVA

It is also a natural form of birth control,

If it smells as bad as you guys say it does, I guess it is a good form of birth control :lol: Who wants to fight the funk?

Sorry I couldn't resist :look:

Eisani

If it smells as bad as you guys say it does, I guess it is a good form of birth control :lol: Who wants to fight the funk?

Sorry I couldn't resist :look:

It is :look: They don't recommend use by pregnant women or those trying to get pregnant. It can induce labor, cause an intentional or unintentional miscarriage and is also used as birth control, at least according to what I've read about ayurveda.

JJamiah

LOL

I agree with all above terms about Neem OIl.

Other then I had someone prune their nose and ask if someone passed gas, and it was the neem oil.

Also had the Mr. Prune his face and go, what is that, just walking in the door from work and RUNNING up the stairs, the smell was so putrid he smelt it down stairs as it had traveled :nono: SO yeah , it is a very putrid smell to me.