• Only on wash days

Votes: 13 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

HOW OFTEN DO YOU STEAM?

PLEASE answer in poll above ↑↑↑↑

or post below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Juicin vs. Baggying vs. Steaming<--- anyone doing all 3?
do they have the SAME EFFECTS on your hair???

Last edited:

Vintageglam

Once or twice a week for about 30 minutes depending on how busy I am during the week. I try to aim for 2x a week and 1x week in summer.

Any more than that and I think I would end up with mushy hair.

ETA: Sitting under my baby and steaming right now :cloud9:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

is there a lot of steam in front of your face? I feel as though my steamer is only half arsed spewing steam

arrived yesterday....no steam in front of my face, bottom of my hair not really wet....forehead is barely damp

got a big burst right before it cut off (1 hour later)

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
lol that funny you mentioned baggying, i just started tonight lol. just my ends while they are in a bun.

i ripped a piece of a regular plastic shopping back, then wrapped it around my ends, then i twisted my hair up into this bun. cant even see the bag, good thing for thick hair.

my buns is all moist with juice.

i dont steam but i use a heat cap for DC twice weekly. for DC heat is heat no matter the source, IMO.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
is there a lot of steam in front of your face? I feel as though my steamer is only half arsed spewing steam

arrived yesterday....no steam in front of my face, bottom of my hair not really wet....forehead is barely damp

got a big burst right before it cut off (1 hour later)

So, which one did you end up getting?:ohwell: Are you sure you put it together correctly?

I've had mine over a year and I get steam all the way around from top to bottom.

Did you close the vent in the front of the hood? Your entire head/hair should be encapsulated in Steam.:yep: You should be getting a constant emitting of steam.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

So, which one did you end up getting?:ohwell: Are you sure you put it together correctly?

I've had mine over a year and I get steam all the way around from top to bottom.

Did you close the vent in the front of the hood? Your entire head/hair should be encapsulated in Steam.:yep: You should be getting a constant emitting of steam.

i ordered from BEST Choice....they & salon r us (the new name) were both on ebay but the same model it seems..... I have nothing to compare it to but i'm sure the had should be cloudy an not clear enough to see thru while i'm steaming.... I feel i will have to swap it out or return....

tried both switchs up , both switch down (off)...one switch up, the other down.... no changes in the amount of steam....just very slow....(and i used distilled last nite) 1st time used filtered

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
i ordered from BEST Choice....they & salon r us (the new name) were both on ebay but the same model it seems..... I have nothing to compare it to but i'm sure the had should be cloudy an not clear enough to see thru while i'm steaming.... I feel i will have to swap it out or return....

tried both switchs up , both switch down (off)...one switch up, the other down.... no changes in the amount of steam....just very slow....(and i used distilled last nite) 1st time used filtered

Yeah....Contact Them At Once:yep: You should be getting a continual constant emittance of Hot Steam especially with both switches up.:yep: Something is clearly wrong. Yeah, Steamy & Cloudy! Just like an Iron on the Steam Setting.:yep:

I got mine from SalonsRUs and they have excellent Customer Service. Hopefully, you'll get the same level of quality service from BEST Choice.:blush: Keep Us Posted.

frizzy

why are you cutting back?

I'm gonna try to do more protective styles this Summer and that will allow me to use a lot of leave-in conditioners, so I won't need to steam as much to add moisture.

I also think about the heat and constant opening and closing of the cuticles, will that damage the hair strands over time?

I don't want to get to where "too much of a good thing" might be bad.

Nasdaq_Diva

I don't have a steamer, but I do have a question: (I hope you dont mind OP)

Is it more beneficial to steam in the winter vs. the summer? Like, should you steam more often because it's colder outside, or vice versa?

frizzy

I don't have a steamer, but I do have a question: (I hope you dont mind OP)

Is it more beneficial to steam in the winter vs. the summer? Like, should you steam more often because it's colder outside, or vice versa?

I would say it's more necessary to steam in the winter due to indoor heating and there being less humidity in the air. Where I live, it's very humid in the Summer so the hair will retain moisture easier.

if you steam regularly.....IS THERE STILL A NEED TO BAGGY? still a need to Juice?

I would say NO to needing to baggy and juice if you steam regularly.

Once I got my steamer I didn't need to DC 2x a week anymore, and I could go more days between moisturizing. It's all about "listening" to what your hair needs are. I'm at a point where I can steam less, but I will be manually moisturizing more with products.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Is steam the same thing a dc

Pretty much, yeah.
The only difference is the introduction of steam from like...a machine, or some people use a hot towel.
As you probably know, heat is good to DC with, because it opens the cuticles of the hair and lets it absorb the conditioner more thoroughly and quickly. That's why people use the hood dryer and heating cap and stuff. The reason why the steamer is supposed to be so much better is because not only is the steam hot, but it's also a moisturizing treatment in itself, because it's nothing but water in a gaseous state. The end result is like...a DC on steroids.

I don't steam now, because it's summer and I don't feel I need to.
But in the winter, I had the best results steaming once a week, for 30 minutes. Anything more, and I think my hair was like...oversteamed, because it didn't come out nicely.

Missjae09

Twice a week for at least 15-20 minutes each time.. I also end up letting my condish sit for a while (If I have things to do around the house)

Mrs. Verde

Juicin vs. Baggying vs. Steaming

I'm doing all three. I have been baggying on and off for 2 years. I have noticed the biggest difference with steaming.

Imani

I only steam on wash day which is usually once a week or sometimes when Im lazy/busy every other week. I haven't steamed in about a month tho bc my hair just didn't feel like it needed it, I didn't want to overdo it and have mushy hair.

YoursTrulyRE

I usually steam once a week but now that it is winter I will steam twice a week. Midweek I will only steam for 20 minutes but on the weekend when I do my DC I will steam for 40 minutes. My hair can get really dry so the more I steam the more moisture I retain.

If I am too lazy to steam I use my trusty heat cap (on low) for the same amount of time.