Crisco shortening for hair growth??

ThickHair

You don't need Crisco for that type of growth. All you have to do is pamper your hair and it will happen. There is no secret hair growth potion.

Nice & Wavy

lol....sorry, but I guess I would probably fry, dye and then lay it to the side with this one :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: ...people can go a little bit too far. I think I'll just stick with regular healthy oils!

Kimberly

I tried doing a search but I know a while ago, there was a thread about someone bumping into an old friend of their's who never had long hair before but had past BSL or MBL or WL hair now (then) and when she asked her what she used, she said "Crisco" (I'm sure...or just "shortening")....

Anyway, maybe someone else can find it and post a link.

*Frisky*

I think there was a thread about chicken grease and growing hair...actually I think my little sis JenniferMD posted it...it is a Dominican secret...

Kimberly

marie170 said:
I think there was a thread about chicken grease and growing hair...actually I think my little sis JenniferMD posted it...it is a Dominican secret...

Yes, I found the thread about the chicken grease you are talking about when I did my search but the one I'm thinking of was something else...unless someone posted the story inside another thread instead of starting their own...maybe that's why I couldn't find it.

AllAboutTheHair

Crisco is used on burn victims and those with severe eczema in the hospital. It has also been used clinically on skin tears caused by edema (peoples legs swell and contract due to the severe fluid accumulation, when the fluid goes away dry hard over stretched "scarred" skin is left- Crisco softens and combats dryness)

Seems logical it would do the same for the skin on the scalp, adding essential oils like lavender and ylang ylang may make it smell better.

Theoretically all it is is vegetable oil and 2 glycerine, we like glycerine don' t we? :)

Divine Inspiration

atlien11 said:
hmmm...I would be afraid that ants would come and carry me off in the middle of the night :ohwell:

:lachen:

I haven't heard of using Crisco nor would I ever consider it. A healthy body grows healthy hair. Maintain the growth, and length will come. The end. :look:

keluric

might take that one with a grain of salt.. dominicans do some odd things to the hair. coconut milk on a baby's hair so it'll stay straight?

luvlonghair

Heck, I would try this. Maybe not for hair growth but to seal my hair/ends for the winter, but I would use it on my scalp also. The ingredients are natural, besides most stuff that you can eat will not harm your skin (i.e. scalp).

FlawedBeauty

nadine1977canada said:
OK , I have heard it all.But I have to ask in here. Does any one use Crisco shortening on their scalp for hair growth??:lol: Someone in another thread mentioned that their friend used Crisco on their scalp and went from Shoulder lenght to BSL within a year. Here is the thread:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=39860&KW=Crisco

Anyone got a clue about this?

well from shoulder to brastrap is about six inches, no? so if she retained all the growth in a year i would say doesn't sound like nething magical happened since the hair is slated to grow about 6" a yr.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
nadine1977canada said:
OK , I have heard it all.But I have to ask in here. Does any one use Crisco shortening on their scalp for hair growth??:lol: Someone in another thread mentioned that their friend used Crisco on their scalp and went from Shoulder lenght to BSL within a year. Here is the thread:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=39860&KW=Crisco

Anyone got a clue about this?

I rarely even acknowledge when they write about outrageous "miracle" products over there. Nothing against using growth aides, but some of the stuff is just too off the wall. I means Crisco?:confused: I don't even know how to use it for cooking let alone hair care.

And did you notice that no one themselves used it? It was always a friend or granny or something. That makes me think that even they don't buy into that stuff.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I don't see why it is so hard to believe. There was a thread on people using ghee or unsalted butter on their hair. Isn't the ingredients almost similar? The results posted made people go out and get it. It may not work for everyone, but it worked for someone who used it.:lol:

Kimberly

DDtexlaxd said:
I don't see why it is so hard to believe. There was a thread on people using ghee or unsalted butter on their hair. Isn't the ingredients almost similar? The results posted made people go out and get it. It may not work for everyone, but it worked for someone who used it.:lol:

Yep! I have two jars of ghee around here now. :lol:

Dynamic

I don't think that there's anything over the top about using Crisco on your hair/scalp. People over here are using ALL KINDS of stuff. I can't say that I'd use it--but, I can't say that I wouldn't ever do it. It's just vegatable oil. Most of us on here use coconut oil. Hey, if it appeals to you--try it.

The ingredients in Crisco:

PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OILS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES.

P

patient1

I don't think this would cause accelerated growth BUT looking at the ingredients, I'd bet it would make a better base for hair grease than most of the petroleum, petrolatum, vaseline, mineral oil products in the beauty supply store.

You could add your own essential oils and other ingredients and make a more natural hair grease. I don't consume hydrogenated oils (margarine, crisco,etc.) but the hydrogenation process would keep it stiff until it hits the scalp heat. The mono and diglycerides part I don't know about though.

p1

ChocoKitty

I don't thnk this it *too* far fetched. "Crisco" saved my knees and elbows from looking like "black turtle caps" for the rest of my life.:look: :lol:

Ebonygurl00

WTF?! This is a joke, right?! Your hair will grow if you're healthy. I think Crisco could actually HINDER your growth, because it could clog your scalp.

missnappylady

I just don't understand how it would make your hair grow?!?! I can see how it could possibly help retain growth but, cause growth? Maybe i'm slow but, how in the world does that make any sense? :ohwell:

Ebonygurl00

missnappylady said:
I just don't understand how it would make your hair grow?!?! I can see how it could possibly help retain growth but, cause growth? Maybe i'm slow but, how in the world does that make any sense? :ohwell:

Exactly!! I mean, if you put it on your ends, MAYBE you could retain the growth, but I don't see anything in it that would cause your hair to grow any faster.

AllAboutTheHair

All I know is that there is a certain amount of vitamin E in the mix, maybe that is the culprit for the alleged accelerated growth :/

Ebonygurl00

AllAboutTheHair said:
All I know is that there is a certain amount of vitamin E in the mix, maybe that is the culprit for the alleged accelerated growth :/

Oh, wow, I actually didn't know that it had Vit. E in it. That could be what helps growth. Can't you just buy Vit. E in some form and put it on your scalp?

AllAboutTheHair

yeah, but its cheaper in crisco, anyone on here use carol's daughter, what do you think the vegetable oil is in her ingredients? She didn't fry chicken with it first :)

P

patient1

AllAboutTheHair said:
yeah, but its cheaper in crisco, anyone on here use carol's daughter, what do you think the vegetable oil is in her ingredients? She didn't fry chicken with it first :)

Ha!!!

Here are the ingredients that most folks say to avoid:

http://www.nappturality.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=22

None of the Crisco ingredients are on the list. I don't believe it would speed up growth, but I definitely think it would trump Blue Magic if you whipped in a little rosemary/sage/peppermint e.o.

Now I'm wondering how many of the big hair grease cos get wholesale Crisco....

p1

P

patient1

For those cooking with Crisco (or eating margarine) I just wanted to post this info:

http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/monodiglycerides.html

Simply put, mono- and diglycerides are fats. They are made from oil,usually soybean, cottonseed, sunflower, or palm oil, act as emulsifiers (provide a consistent texture and prevent separation), and are used in most baked products to keep them from getting stale. In ice cream and other processed foods, including margarine, instant potatoes, and chewing gum, they serve as stabilizers, which give foods body and improve consistency

http://www.dldewey.com/columns/healthw.htm

Did you know that hydrogenated oils, mono-diglycerides, anything hydroilzed that are in many of the foods you purchase has been shown to cause coronary heart diease by reseachers at Harvard, high cholesterol and triglycerides, diabetes type II, cancer, impaired immune system, auto-immune problems and other health problems.

~~~~
Just use these items in limited amounts. Your scalp or ends is really a better place for it. IMO, the use of lard, crisco, margarine, etc. in cooking is a bigger disease culprit than butter, eggs, etc. I use Earth Balance which is a natural non-hydrogenated margarine. It's distributed by the same company that makes Smart Balance which is also non-hydrogenated but cheaper because it has some artificial ingredients, etc. They both taste great, but I favor EB.

HTH,
p1