Sew-in weave care questions

qchelle

Good evening ladies :wave:

I've been transitioning for 7 months and still going strong :yay: and I got a sew-in last month. I've never had a sew-in before so I had a question about the install. I was reading old threads about sew-in maintenance and it was brought up that the thread used to sew it can rip through your real hair :blush: My question is: would I be able to tell that this was happening before I take the weave out? Or is the only way of telling after take down? Like does it rip through all at once so that the weft thingy isn't attached to the braid anymore? Or can it get stuck halfway through the braid? And is there a way to prevent this from happening? I do notice that I brush the weave really hard :( because it gets tangled alot (this was surprising to me..that weave can get tangled..idk why lol)!!

Also, I've been wondering if it's time to take it out. There's an inch of NG toward the back, but then in some areas there's only like a half an inch :rolleyes:. Is an inch of NG (of 4a hair) too much or can I keep going?

Other than that, I think I've been doing a swell job caring for my hair underneath the weave. I wash and DC weekly, use leave-in daily and seal with oil. My hair feels very soft :) Oh yea, I wash and quicky condition the weave hair, too.

TIA! :)

pink gator

Kudos to your great regimen!

Unless you are brushing really hard, the thread shouldn't rip through your real hair. (I think I understand what you're saying.)

But you shouldn't brush your hair really hard AT ALL. You should grasp a section of your hair and brush the ends out first WHILE holding the hair, and work your way up. That would prevent accidental snatch-outs.

You can keep going for about another month or so; the nape/sides are the first to come loose because of head movement and/or ponytails. Plus that hair tends to be finer for some reason. If they get too loose, you can revisit the stylist and have your tracks tightened.

I always know when it's time to take mine out when: 1) my tracks start to show; 2) my whole install moves when I scratch my scalp; 3) when I can insert my finger under a track with no snags because the NG is bananas; and 4) when I get bored with it.

Hope that helps.

beana

My question is: would I be able to tell that this was happening before I take the weave out? Or is the only way of telling after take down? Like does it rip through all at once so that the weft thingy isn't attached to the braid anymore? Or can it get stuck halfway through the braid? And is there a way to prevent this from happening? I do notice that I brush the weave really hard :( because it gets tangled alot (this was surprising to me..that weave can get tangled..idk why lol)!!

Also, I've been wondering if it's time to take it out. There's an inch of NG toward the back, but then in some areas there's only like a half an inch :rolleyes:. Is an inch of NG (of 4a hair) too much or can I keep going?

Other than that, I think I've been doing a swell job caring for my hair underneath the weave. I wash and DC weekly, use leave-in daily and seal with oil. My hair feels very soft :) Oh yea, I wash and quicky condition the weave hair, too.

TIA! :)

Hello! I'm new to weave wearing as well (on 2nd install) and so far so good. IMO you can feel when the thread is damaging or "ripping" your hair out when the stylist is sewing it in. It'll feel "too tight" or like she sewed through a tangle in the braid or something.

Regarding the tangles, what type/brand of hair are you using?
I've used the same hair twice and can probably get a 3rd wear out of it with no problem... I had some tangling issues, but i found that this occurs when my hair styling products get on the hair. I dont apply anything to the weave hair anymore and i no longer have tangles. I just use serum on the weave before blowdrying and thats it. I flat iron it afterwards and no tangling.

also, most hair slightly tangles at the nape, i think its because our necks tend to "heat up" in that area and the hair draws up...

Removing weaves every 8-12 weeks works well for most people.

HTH

qchelle

Thanks for the advice ladies! I will def. take these into consideration.

@beana :the brand I'm using is Remy Goddess

pink gator

Hello! I'm new to weave wearing as well (on 2nd install) and so far so good. IMO you can feel when the thread is damaging or "ripping" your hair out when the stylist is sewing it in. It'll feel "too tight" or like she sewed through a tangle in the braid or something.

Regarding the tangles, what type/brand of hair are you using?
I've used the same hair twice and can probably get a 3rd wear out of it with no problem... I had some tangling issues, but i found that this occurs when my hair styling products get on the hair. I dont apply anything to the weave hair anymore and i no longer have tangles. I just use serum on the weave before blowdrying and thats it. I flat iron it afterwards and no tangling.

also, most hair slightly tangles at the nape, i think its because our necks tend to "heat up" in that area and the hair draws up...

Removing weaves every 8-12 weeks works well for most people.

HTH

:ohwell: Uh...no... Hair SHOULD NOT slightly tangle ANYWHERE.

Only noncuticle BSS hair (READ inexpensive) hair does that because it's the hairs that are picked up off the floor during the gathering process and wefted together. Hairs that aren't in the same direction tend to "bunch" up and tangle at the nape. I learned that the hard way with Femi, Urban Beauty and Milky Way yaki hair. Also lighter colors than #4 tend to tangle more because of overprocessing.

Better BSS-grade hair that are really good include IndiRemi, Mona, Outre Velvet Remy, and Saga. They don't tangle.

The BEST hair you can buy would be from the online vendors, such as Extensions Plus and Wagmans. I use Extensions Plus.

I really suggest that you check out Black Hair Media.com's weave section. Those ladies there are the LHCF of weave-know how! That's where I and plenty other LHCF ladies go for weave help.

ajoyfuljoy

she is not lying about black hair media. I think they probably have the most comprehensive forum on weave on the whole web. And that's no exaggeration. You will learn TONS.