Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
April 5, 2012

Devotional:
We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Romans 15:1 (KJV)

Dear friend of Jesus, have patience with those around you who are not yet what God intends for them to be -- remembering also that we are not yet what God intends for us to be. In the process of "bearing with" their failings, you may just find that others are more patient with your failings and more thankful for your faithfulness. Of course, the goal of our being patient isn't to benefit ourselves. Instead, we do it to bless others, knowing that many of our brothers and sisters in Christ are hanging on to their faith, hope, and love by the thinnest of threads. Let's never let them go and never cause them to stumble!

PRAYER:
Tender Shepherd, give me more patience with those who are struggling and who need your strength and my encouragement. Forgive me for not noticing their struggles the way that you do. Help me show them how patient you are as you perfect them in your holiness. Thank you, O Lord, for your help in this area of my heart as I seek to be a blessing to my brothers and sisters in grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but [when] the desire cometh, [it is] a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 6, 2012

Devotional:
According to my earnest expectation and [my] hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but [that] with all boldness, as always, [so] now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether [it be] by life, or by death. Philippians 1:20 (KJV)

Do you have ultimate goals by which you live? Paul certainly had at least these two: "I don't want to be ashamed but courageous" and "I want Christ to be exalted in my body, by life or by death." What are yours? Could you join Paul in his ultimate goals? How are these ultimate goals good for all of us? What makes it hard to live with these ultimate goals? They are good for us because they remind us that, even though the Spirit helps us, it takes courage to live for Jesus and for him to be exalted by the way we live or die, and it is hard to live a different type of life from most of those around us.

PRAYER:
Sacrificial and all-powerful God, forgive me for my sins, especially the sin of living with improper priorities. I want your grace and your loving-kindness to be seen in the way I conduct my life. In addition, please give me the courage to say what needs to be said to exalt you and to bring you praise. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. Matthew 5:44-45 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 7, 2012

Devotional:
For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. 2 Timothy 1:12 (KJV)

As Paul faced very difficult circumstances near the end of his life, many of those he had led to the Lord abandoned him. But he was confident that the Lord would not abandon him! He had committed his life to Jesus as Lord. That Lord would ensure that the investment Paul had made would not be wasted. His life, his future, and his eternal destiny were entrusted to the Lord. He was confident that they were also secure in the Lord. He believed with every fiber of his being that on a special day known only to God, Jesus will return and every knee will bow and Paul's faith in the Lord will be joyously validated.

PRAYER:
Almighty God, I believe, but please strengthen my faith so that no matter what I may endure, my confidence in you will remain firm and my hope may remain vibrant. I entrust to you all that I am and all that I hope to be, believing fully that you will bring me through whatever lies ahead and bring me into your glorious presence with great joy. In Jesus' glorious name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 9, 2012

Devotional:
But let the righteous be glad; let them rejoice before God: yea, let them exceedingly rejoice. Psalm 68:3 (KJV)

Let's join our hearts together today, tens of thousands of us, and let's pray for God to make us a joyful and happy people who live righteously to his glory. For those in difficulty, let's pray for our mighty God to give them reasons to rejoice. For those who have been bountifully blessed, let's pray he opens our eyes to see the glorious riches that he has already poured into our lives.

PRAYER:
Wondrous Father, LORD God Almighty, thank you so much for your generous blessings. O LORD, please make us a more joyful and happy people. For my Christian brothers and sisters in hardship, I pray for your deliverance, victory, and blessing. For those of us who have been richly blessed, I pray for us to have more appreciative and thankful hearts. Thank you for always hearing my prayers. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [are] they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Matthew 5:6 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 10, 2012

Devotional:
For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 2 Corinthians 5:21 (KJV)

When was the last time you thought of yourself as "the righteousness of God"? What does that mean anyway? It means that we have the best of qualities, found in the best of beings! But we know we are not god-like! We know our fallibility and flaws! We know our imperfections and our inconsistencies! How can we be "the righteousness of God"? Jesus, the perfect and sinless Righteous One of God, became our sin for us so we could be his righteousness. More than grace, that's a miracle! And a miracle, dear friend of Jesus, is exactly what each one of us is!

PRAYER:
Thank you, gracious and loving Father, for saving me and making me perfect through your sacrificial gift of your Son. Please use me to communicate your grace and your salvation with someone around me who hasn't accepted your grace. In the name of Jesus, my older brother and Savior, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 11, 2012

Devotional:
O satisfy us early with thy mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. Psalm 90:14 (KJV)

What's the secret of having a good day? How about waking up and recognizing that we begin each day just as we ended the previous one -- we are in the grip of God's unfailing love. That should make our hearts stir with love and our voices sing with joy. This song should stir God's Spirit within us and lead us to a deep and profound thanksgiving that gladdens all of our days. So rather than waking up tired, cranky, and dreading another day, let this day be a reminder of God's grace in our daily lives and a reminder of God's promises in our hearts. Then, I don't think we're going to have any problem singing the rest of the day!

PRAYER:
Glorious Master and Eternal Father, thank you for pouring your love and joy into my heart through your Holy Spirit. Fill my heart and satisfy my life with a sense of your abiding and unfailing love. In the name of my loving Savior, Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 2 Corinthians 5:21 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 12, 2012

Devotional:
To God only wise, [be] glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen. Romans 16:27 (KJV)

All other gods are false, anemic, and dim. Only El Shaddai (the Lord God Almighty) who revealed himself as Yahweh (I Am, the God of the Covenant), deserves our praise. We praise him for his gift of Jesus to atone for our sins, his gift of mercy to perfect our failings, his gift of patience to help us straighten out our inconsistencies, and ultimately, his gift of love to provide our salvation.

PRAYER:
Only True and Living God, may your glory shine forever in the lives and faithfulness of your people. May your praises always be on my lips and in my heart. May people see your love for them in Christ Jesus, both now, and forevermore and use my life to influence others to bring you praise. In the name of Jesus I praise and proclaim your glorious majesty. Amen.

Wisdom:
Wealth [gotten] by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase. Proverbs 13:11 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 13, 2012

Devotional:
Rejoice evermore. 1 Thessalonians 5:16 (KJV)

Now wait just a minute. I have some pretty sorry days! Things don't always go well for me! Some of my friends have abandoned me at my worst possible moments. How can I be joyful ALWAYS? "Simple, my child," the Father reminds me. "First, joy is more than always feeling happy, but is instead, a deep abiding sense of being in God's grace and purpose. Second, no matter where you are, no matter how hopeless things may seem, your life is bound for glory -- my glory!" In the light of these incredible truths, all other things seem bland, out of touch, and insignificant.

PRAYER:
O LORD, please give me a clearer sense of your glory and victory. Please empower my faith to trust the truth of your conquest over hell. Please fill me with your Spirit and bring forth your fruit in my life. Please fill my mouth with joyful praise for all that you have done for me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. Hebrews 13:8 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 14, 2012

Devotional:
Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great [things] he hath done for you. 1 Samuel 12:24 (KJV)

God is awesome and mighty. He can do what he chooses to do. So isn't it amazing that of all the things he could do, he chooses to do one thing especially well: God blesses us! God blesses us with material blessing; he blesses us with spiritual blessings; he blesses us with big things; he blesses us with small things; he blesses us with hope; he blesses us beyond pain; he blesses us now; he blesses us in the future; he blesses us ...

PRAYER:
Generous and gracious God, thank you for blessing me in so many ways. Please help me to be continuously aware of all of the blessings that you do give me and please use my life to be a blessing to others and a glory to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth [therein], he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. James 1:23-25 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 16, 2012

Devotional:
Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God. 2 Corinthians 9:11 (KJV)

As we examine our blessings and give thanks to God for his wonderful grace, let's ask why God has blessed us so much. Let's also remember the primary spiritual principle that God made clear in today's Scripture and also in his call to Abraham in Genesis 12:2: God's people are blessed to be a blessing. Let's make sure we are not just recipients of God's blessings. Let's commit to be conduits of those blessings to others.

PRAYER:
Thank you, generous Father, for giving your many lavish gifts to me. Open my eyes to see how I can pass on those blessings to those around me. As I share the blessings you have so richly given me, may others find their greatest blessing of all -- your loving grace -- and give thanks to you! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [is] the man whom thou chastenest, O LORD, and teachest him out of thy law; Psalm 94:12 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 17, 2012

Devotional:
The LORD [is] nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. Psalm 34:18 (KJV)

While many of us are richly blessed spiritually and physically, many of God's people face hardship and difficulty. You may be one of those in difficult circumstances. Please remember that God has not abandoned you. Jesus is the great reminder that God cares and involves himself with the broken, forgotten, and downtrodden. Please know as well that tens of thousands are praying for you today in the prayer that follows.

PRAYER:
O God, please be with those whose lives are difficult and filled with pain and sadness. Please minister in personal and mighty ways to every believer with a crushed spirit. Dear Father, please rekindle the hope of every discouraged Christian. Empower them as they hold on to their faith. Pour out your Spirit with power, strengthening each weary and burdened heart. Help each one of your children hold onto his or her faith, finding a renewed sense of hope in your presence. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam [is] in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. Matthew 7:4-5 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 18, 2012

Devotional:
For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. Romans 15:4 (KJV)

If the Bible is a love story, then its theme is hope. No matter how dire the circumstances, no matter how big the enemy, no matter how deep the sin, no matter how lost the people, no matter how empty the cupboard, no matter how wide the river, no matter ... God repeatedly gives his people reason to hope in a brighter tomorrow. Then God brought the assurance of that tomorrow in Jesus!

PRAYER:
Eternal God, please give me patience and endurance as I search your Scriptures to know and understand your truth. I am amazed at the incredible things you did to redeem and bless your people in the Old Testament. I am absolutely astonished at what you were able to do with Jesus' rag-tag bunch of disciples. Please, O God, inspire my hope so that I will expect something great from your hand and then live to see you accomplish it in my day. May this, as well as all other things in my life, be to your honor and glory. In Jesus' mighty name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:8-9 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 19, 2012

Devotional:
Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Philippians 2:14-15 (KJV)

"Don't complain or argue!" We don't normally associate these things with purity and blamelessness. Paul was extraordinarily close to the Philippians and knew them well. He knew their weaknesses and shortcomings. He also knew the destructive power that complaining and arguing have on the life of an otherwise vibrant community of Christians. Let's heed his warning today, as we see church after church taken under by the negative and cynical spirit that pervades modern culture.

PRAYER:
Forgive me and cleanse me, O God, from my argumentative spirit. Please empower me with your Spirit to use my speech only to bless and to build up, never to tear down or discourage. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Ephesians 4:29 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 20, 2012

Devotional:
I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving. Psalm 69:30 (KJV)

When was the last time you sang praises to God outside a church or devotional service? Why not open up the Psalms and find several verses that reflect your own praise and thanks to God and give them a tune -- your own tune! God doesn't care if your spiritual gift is music or not; he's just listening for your heart to be full of joy as you share your praise and thanksgiving with him.

PRAYER:
O gracious Father, giver of every good and perfect gift, forgive me for relegating my thanksgiving and praise to special days and special places. I praise you for creating your human children with the capacity to celebrate goodness, to rejoice in your creation, and to have the capacity for praise and thanksgiving. Thank you for making our world so full of reasons to offer thanks to you, our Abba Father and Creator. As you continually fill me with your Spirit, may my heart overflow with songs of praise and words of thanksgiving. In Jesus' holy name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Whoso boasteth himself of a false gift [is like] clouds and wind without rain. Proverbs 25:14 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 21, 2012

Devotional:
And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever. Daniel 12:3 (KJV)

God promised a sifting between the righteous and unrighteous. Jesus repeated the same assurance in his parables. For God's people, however, these are not fearful warnings. Instead, these are words of promise. Those who have wisely honored and lived for God will shine brilliantly for all to see. Those who have led others to live righteously will twinkle like stars in their Father's eyes!

PRAYER:
Loving God, thank you for saving me by your grace and kindness. At the same time, Father, I get frustrated when I see the wicked prosper while your loyal servants are maligned and ridiculed for their character. I'm thankful that you will judge us based on your incredible grace! At the same time, I'm also thankful you will bring justice for those who love you and who are enduring hardship, danger, and ridicule because of their faith. Please be with them, wherever they may be, and give them strength to persevere until that day comes. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Praise ye the LORD. Blessed [is] the man [that] feareth the LORD, [that] delighteth greatly in his commandments. Psalm 112:1 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 23, 2012

Devotional:
[This] thou hast seen, O LORD: keep not silence: O Lord, be not far from me. Stir up thyself, and awake to my judgment, [even] unto my cause, my God and my Lord. Psalm 35:22-23 (KJV)

God sometimes seems to be distant and not to be listening to us. Think of the hundreds of years Israel was in bondage praying for God's promised Deliverer. "Isn't God listening?" they must have repeatedly wondered. Yet at the right time, God sent his Son and brought deliverance. Thankfully, God doesn't ask us to pretend that everything is okay when it isn't. He filled the Psalms with cries for deliverance and help. You may find yourself in a position where these words are yours. If you are, realize that thousands of Today's Verse participants are praying today for God's immediate and powerful deliverance of you.

PRAYER:
Almighty God, may your name be revered in all the earth just as it is among the angels of heaven. Show the power and might of your Kingdom in our day. Deliver your Church and your children from the hands of the evil one. Bring deliverance to your children who are crying for your help with spiritual, family, health, or financial problems they are having. May our lives be lived to your glory, now and forevermore. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Colossians 3:12 (KJV)

gn1g

Heard a wonderful bit of wisdom today per Oral Roberts:

When you sow a seed immediately turn your eyes towards the harvest. When a farmer plants a seed he rarely ever thinks about the seed again he immediately watches the ground for the harvest.

baddison

natural for good
April 24, 2012

Devotional:
Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated [us] into the kingdom of his dear Son: Colossians 1:13 (KJV)

God doesn't just hear our cries for deliverance; he sends a powerful Deliverer! God sent Moses in response to the Israelites' cries from Egypt (see Exodus 3). God also sent Jesus in response to the world's cries for deliverance from its bondage to the evil prince of darkness. Our new world, our Kingdom, is built on love -- the sacrificial love of a Savior who not only conquered death for us, but gave himself up to do so. Jesus is not only our rescuer (saves us FROM something), he is also our Savior (also saves us FOR something as well)!

PRAYER:
Loving and eternal God, in Jesus you reached down to my limited and mortal world and rescued me from its mortal limits. Thank you for breaking the strangle hold of death. Thank you for using love to break down the barriers that kept me from you. Thank you for rescuing me and bringing me into your family and your Kingdom. I offer you my thanks, service, and praise in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 2 Peter 1:5-7 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 25, 2012

Devotional:
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Matthew 5:14 (KJV)

For Christians, there is no playing hide and seek with the world. Having been rescued from darkness, we have to let our light shine. That sometimes means that others see God's light reflected in us and learn to glorify God through us. At other times, however, it means that we stand out in a world of darkness and become targets because of our faith. Either way, there is no place to hide. We are light in a world of darkness; we cannot help but shine!

PRAYER:
O Holy God, please strengthen me so that with undaunted courage and with the compassion of Jesus I might display your light to the lost world around me. In the name of Jesus, the Light of the world, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Dearly beloved, I beseech [you] as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; 1 Peter 2:11 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 26, 2012

Devotional:
But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; Ephesians 5:3 (KJV)

"Not even a hint!" Hmmmm! Don't you wish it were true? The church I attend and the person I see most often in the mirror don't quite measure up to this directive. If sexual temptation doesn't get us, greed often does. In a culture of conspicuous consumption, greed concerns me more than the immorality and impurity. Not because I am unconcerned with impurity, but because we have become so calloused to our own greed. In this season of giving, let's honestly examine our hearts about our "wanting," "getting," and "possessing."

PRAYER:
Forgive me, generous LORD, for my selfishness and greed. Please give me a heart like yours. You demonstrated that heart when you shared your most precious gift with sinners like me. Now I am a child at your table and an heir of your inheritance. Thank you for your grace! Please, dear Lord, bless me with your Spirit who seeks to bring about a generous and gracious heart within me. In the name of the greatest gift of all, Jesus of Bethlehem, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed are ye, when [men] shall revile you, and persecute [you], and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Matthew 5:11 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 27, 2012

Devotional:
Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. John 8:12 (KJV)

Are you walking in light or darkness? Can you clearly see your path, or do you find yourself stumbling along an uncertain path? Jesus wants us to boldly follow him. The way may not always be easy, but the destination is assured, and your way can be certain. Most of all, you won't ever have to have a night light -- you're assured that even in the deepest darkness, you will have his light, the only light that gives life.

PRAYER:
Wonderful and tender Shepherd, please give me a faithful heart. Even in my deepest moments of darkness and despair, I want to be able to find your Light and to share his life with others. In the name of the One who is never darkness, Jesus the Light of the world, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessings [are] upon the head of the just: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked. Proverbs 10:6 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 28, 2012

Devotional:
Unto the upright there ariseth light in the darkness: [he is] gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous. Psalm 112:4 (KJV)

What a powerful promise! Just as night passes into dawn, for the gracious and compassionate and righteous, dawn comes even in the worst nights of deep spiritual darkness. The Holy Spirit is reminding us that even in those worst times of cultural decay and decadence, Satan's darkness will not rule forever. His darkness cannot stay where Jesus' disciples reflect the character of the Light of the world.

PRAYER:
Holy and loving God, help me to shine your light of holiness and Jesus' light of hope to those trapped in darkness. O God, please forgive my sinful failures. Please cleanse me and create a pure heart in me. I don't want to dim or to diminish your light as it shines through me. Help me so that I can more perfectly shine your light to those around me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Ephesians 5:15-16 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 30, 2012

Devotional:
But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: 1 Peter 2:9 (KJV)

We are chosen with a purpose. We are brought out of the darkness of sin and given the wonderful light of salvation so we can help others. You see, we are blessed to be a blessing and given light to shine to others. Most of all, we are called to point others to the one, true, never-interrupted light -- Almighty God!

PRAYER:
Most holy and loving Father, thank you for giving me your light to push darkness out of my heart. Stir in me a profound and holy awe at being made part of your special people -- a priest, a part of your holy nation, a child belonging to you. Your grace to save me is further demonstrated in your desire to use me for your glorious purposes. Thank you for your salvation. In the name of my Savior, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Matthew 7:13-14 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 1st, 2012

Devotional:
For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God. John 3:20-21 (KJV)

What's the power behind your life? One clear way to find out is to come to Jesus and ask him to search you and reveal anything spiritually unhealthy, anything unholy, in you. Opening ourselves up to the light of his scrutiny, to the truth of his Light, gives us a remarkable sense of freedom. We don't have anything to hide. Then God can do some truly remarkable things in us and through us because there are no distorted motives.

PRAYER:
Thank you God, for shining your light into my heart through your Son, the Light of the world. Please gently reveal to me the areas of my weakness, my sinfulness, my duplicity, and my deception. I want to live purely before you and purely for you. I humbly request this in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
[Let] nothing [be done] through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Philippians 2:3 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 2, 2012

Devotional:
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 2 Corinthians 6:14 (KJV)

There is probably no other Scripture that has produced more conflict for ministers than this one. While not applying just to marriage, this verse is a powerful reminder that when we make life-long partnerships with those who do not share our deepest values, we are endangering our spiritual health. Just as God would not allow the Israelites under the Law to yoke a donkey and an ox together because it would ultimately break them both down, Paul reminds Christians that the same is true in their deepest relationships as well.

PRAYER:
Father God, I know your will is not arbitrary. I know you want what is best for me. So please give me wisdom as I choose my partners and my closest friends. Help us to help each other live for you and share your blessings and grace. Help us to influence others to come to know you, your mercy, and your salvation more completely. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that [is] unprofitable for you. Hebrews 13:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 3, 2012

Devotional:
In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. John 1:4-5 (KJV)

Life! Not just living, but true, genuine life. Life that gives us light that darkness cannot steal away. That's why God sent Jesus! Thankfully that light still shines and all of Satan's horses and all of Satan's men cannot put their deepest darkest darkness together again! Hallelujah!

PRAYER:
For every good and perfect gift, for the light I have even in my moments of deepest darkness, for the hope I have of living with you in glorious and unapproachable light, I thank you and praise you with eternal joy, now and forevermore. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [be] he that cometh in the name of the LORD: we have blessed you out of the house of the LORD. Psalm 118:26 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 4, 2012

Devotional:
And hide not thy face from thy servant; for I am in trouble: hear me speedily. Draw nigh unto my soul, [and] redeem it: deliver me because of mine enemies. Psalm 69:17-18 (KJV)

Jesus came to show God's face and rescue us from our enemies. But today, in difficult parts of the world and in the places many would least expect it, Christians are under attack. God sent Jesus to save us ultimately and totally from sin and its power. Let's pray that our mighty God will work mightily in our world today to deliver his children from the clutches of tyranny, poverty, violence, abuse, and ridicule. Let's also pray that God is praised for doing so!

PRAYER:
Holy and righteous Father, please strengthen all your beloved children who find themselves under attack. Make your deliverance for them known and shown in the display of your mighty power. You are our Redeemer and Savior. In the name of your Son, Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [are] the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Matthew 5:7 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 5, 2012

Devotional:
I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving. [This] also shall please the LORD better than an ox [or] bullock that hath horns and hoofs. The humble shall see [this, and] be glad: and your heart shall live that seek God. Psalm 69:30-32 (KJV)

Our praise should not only please God, it should also produce joy and gladness in the streets among the poor! Why? Because praise invites us to not only applaud God for what he does, but to also join him in partnership as he does it. God's generosity, which evokes our praise, should stir our generosity, which in turn blesses others and leads them to praise God!

PRAYER:
Holy God, Almighty and majestic King, you are worthy of all honor and praise. You have done wonderful and mighty things. You have poured out your blessings upon me. You have kept your promises and provided me with the way of salvation. Please empower and strengthen me as I commit myself to bless, serve, and encourage others for your glory. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, [do] all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. Colossians 3:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 7, 2012

Devotional:
Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto [his] brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things [pertaining] to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. Hebrews 2:17 (KJV)

There are not many things the Bible says Jesus "had" to do. This is a key one. Jesus had to be one of us. Notice that he did this so he could be like us, his brothers (and sisters) in every way. The reason? So he could be the perfect and faithful high priest who not only made atonement for our sins, but was also the atoning sacrifice for those sins. Incredible!

PRAYER:
Thank you, Lord Jesus, for the incredible sacrifice you made so I could be adopted into our Father's family and become your younger sibling in our eternal family. Thank you for this grace that was motivated out of your love and carried out by your loving faithfulness. Through your name, Lord Jesus, I offer my praise and thanks to our Father. Amen.

Wisdom:
Confess [your] faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. James 5:16 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 8, 2012

Devotional:
For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted. Hebrews 2:18 (KJV)

Jesus was tempted like we are! He suffered like we do! God in his grace made sure that we have someone in heaven who knows what it is like to face suffering and mortality. This knowledge is not only omniscient wisdom. Jesus also guarantees that heaven's knowledge includes human experience. Aren't you thankful that Jesus knew suffering and mortality and that he now lives to redeem, to bless, and to ultimately help us mortals?

PRAYER:
Loving and Almighty God, I know you know me and what is best for me. But Father, I'm even more confident in your care and understanding because Jesus shared in our wrestling match with suffering and mortality. Thank you, Jesus, for pleading my cause at the Father's right hand. I ask for the Father's continued grace in your name, Lord Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
Many [are] the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all. Psalm 34:19 (KJV)