How to take care of bleached hair?

Ericka

Hello everyone, i'm sort of new to the forum. Anyways, I just got highlights in which my hair was bleached first then the color applied. Now I never bleached my hair before and don't know what I should do to keep my hair healthy. I have started to use a leave-in conditioner (Garnier Fruitis) when blow drying and I aslo use their anti-frizz serum when I flat iron.

My question is, should I use an oil or light weight non greasy cream daily?

Here is a link to my fotki album, but I haven't posted pictures of my highlights just yet, but I will soon. http://public.fotki.com/LovinLayers/

ajoyfuljoy

Wow, your hair is beautiful! I hope to be there sometime next year.

I had bleached highlights before, didn't know how to take care of them and ruined my hair. I wish that I'd deep conditioned more and used less heat.

Forgive me if my tips bore you, you probably already know this. There are a couple of people here who successfully take care of highlights and have healthy, full hair. I'm sure you will be another one of them :yep:

sareca

I'd make sure to get some medium-to-hard protein treatments on the highlighted hair. :yep:

Filmatic

I have some bleached part that I wish I knew how to treat better when I got them. They are doing much better now. I would recommend a cream, oil didn't seem to work will with it. Also I agree with the protein treatments and I can't mention deep conditioning enough.

Ericka

Thanks for all the replies. I never thought about doing a protein treatment. I will most definitely do one this week. Also, how often should I do a proteing treatment, and should it be done before or atfter a deep condition?

Thanks for all the help ladies.

pisceschica

Thanks for all the replies. I never thought about doing a protein treatment. I will most definitely do one this week. Also, how often should I do a proteing treatment, and should it be done before or atfter a deep condition?

Thanks for all the help ladies.

In addition to everythign the ladies already said you have to be EXTRA careful when you get a relaxer (if you relax your hair) to not only slather the highlighted hair with a protective cream. I did a roller set on a lady this past week and there was alot of breakage on her hair where the newly relaxed hair met the highlight.

Ericka

I don't have a relaxer. I've been natural all my life.

I think my problem is, I don't like to use products on my hair, which doesn't help to add moisture. The only thing I use on my hair is a leave in conditioner for blow drying and a Anti-frizz serum when flat ironing. Other than that, for the rest of the 6 days before washing my hair, I don't use anything on my hair. I know I have to use something, but I just don't like using products because they attract dirt which causes build up.

chebaby

i've been bleaching my hair for the past 6 yrs. when you bleach your hair you HAVE to keep it moisturized. i moisturize my hair morning and night and i do a deep condish once a week with heat. when you get bleach your hair must stay moisturized because it will break like no body's bidness

Ericka

CHEBABY what exactly do you moisturize your hair with? I normally don't moisturize my hair, only during the deep condition or the regular condition treatment.

I really need help with this because before this change, I never moisturized my hair before. Thanks for all the help.

chebaby

CHEBABY what exactly do you moisturize your hair with? I normally don't moisturize my hair, only during the deep condition or the regular condition treatment.

I really need help with this because before this change, I never moisturized my hair before. Thanks for all the help.
you have to find a moisturizer that works for your hair. i prefer thick butters like shea butter. when i use shea butter i seal it with an all natural oil like castor oil. i use to find that cremes with olive oil makes my hair hard but now i use hollywood beauty olive creme and it keeps my hair so soft. and i still seal it with castor oil. i moisturize my hair right before i go to bed and tie my hair up and then when i wake up i moisturize again. i know this is good for me because the first time i got my entire head bleached everyday there were long strands of hair all over the bathroom sink because all i did was grease my scalp with no moisture on the hair.