Can Shea Butter Go Rancid?

CityGirlLuv

Forgive me if that sounds like a stupid question, but I have some shea butter that I bought less than six months ago and I use to use it all the time until about early October. Well I just opened it up and it looks really dried out a lot more grey looking then I've ever seen, and it smells like chalky-play doh or something. I can't describe the smell except for like that lol, but yeah...I was wondering the shelf life of shea butter. This is unrefined shea butter btw. I'm wondering if the space heater that I use in my room basically "killed" it.

MissErikaM

I think yours is just dried out. But to answer your question yes it can go rancid. It has a shelf life of 12-24 months. I think rancid oils have a more...pungent odor- like you would know something was up. Next time try and keep it somewhere cool, dark and where there are little temperature fluctuations and moisture.

CityGirlLuv

I think yours is just dried out. But to answer your question yes it can go rancid. It has a shelf life of 12-24 months. I think rancid oils have a more...pungent odor- like you would know something was up. Next time try and keep it somewhere cool, dark and where there are little temperature fluctuations and moisture.

Yeah mine is gone for sure. The odor just wasn't what it use to be. However, thank you for clarifying that up for me as I really didn't know it had a shelf life. I'll just order a new one.

yardyspice

Yes, it can. I bought a lot of it because that's all we use on our skin and hair and I didn't get to the last two tubs fast enough and they are rancid. They have a smell to it.

empressri

yup yup! you have to keep it in a cool, dark dry place else it changes colors and gets waxy and sour smelling.

CityGirlLuv

No water got in there. It just has a weird smell that lingers...hard (that's when I rubbed it on my hand). I'm throwing it out!

LovelyNaps26

the one i got says it has an 18 month expiration. unless you use it to make other hair products, lotions, etc. i wouldn't get huge amounts at once. 8 oz. of pure unrefined shea lasts a year and i use it mainly for my skin and when i do mini twists 2 or 3 times a year.

lalla

All oils and butters can go rancid, except squalane, jojoba and esters.
If you bought a lot you can freeze part of it to delay oxydation.

Oxydated fats stink and are bad for the skin.

AKUA WOOD

Forgive me if that sounds like a stupid question, but I have some shea butter that I bought less than six months ago and I use to use it all the time until about early October. Well I just opened it up and it looks really dried out a lot more grey looking then I've ever seen, and it smells like chalky-play doh or something. I can't describe the smell except for like that lol, but yeah...I was wondering the shelf life of shea butter. This is unrefined shea butter btw. I'm wondering if the space heater that I use in my room basically "killed" it.
Unrefined shea butter like any plant material can go rancid. However, the scent is rather unpleasant - a bit like ammonia.
Although there is a shelf life of between 12 - 24 months, this really really depends on the grade + processing method.
Shea butter will change colour over time due to storage. It does harden up during the cold weather - we advise against refrigeration.