Fuzzy cornrows and twists

winona

How do you ladies keep your cornrows and twists from getting fuzzy after a week? I am so lazy :grin: and would love to only do cornrows or twists once every two weeks but it just looks too fuzzy after 1 week:look:.

Adonia1987

Do you wash your hair when in twist or cornrow? Also what product du you use? I notcie that when I use something heavy like shea butter, or a twisting cream with some hold, my hair stays neat longer.
________
Shemale strokers

Last edited:

amwcah

Is your hair natural or relaxed?

I'm relaxed, but I just spray with SCurl and tie it down.

Nonie

I don't really make an effort to stop my twists from looking fuzzy. I love the look so I roll with it.

More fuzz here:

Otherwise, when I style my twists then baggy for the night, the moisture seems to shrink the fuzzy down and make it lie flat so that when I take my baggy off, they look pretty neat. Unfortunately, I do not have the before pic of what my twists looked like...(or do I? I'll be back with pics if I do). But this was the baggying I did overnight:

And this was the neat do I sported the next day:

With cornrows, I brush the fuzzto keep it from knotting up and looking like peppercorns as it did here:

...and then then tie Saran wrap--a scarf would work too but I prefer plastic--for the night. In the morning, the cornrows look neat and not as fuzzy as they did when I didn't do that.

I do have to say that I can deal with fuzzy twists for weeks but I can't stand fuzzy cornrows so after a week or so of brushing and tying the hair down to make it look neat temporarily, I do get sick of it and redo the cornrows. Which is why I don't wear cornrows for more than a week. And I find them cumbersome to do, so meh! Give me twists any time!

AfroKink

Do you style your hair when damp or when dry? U might want to play with this to see what works best for you. Adding an oil like coconut oil can add sheen/shine!

nikolite

Fuzzy twists are the best twists! I used to purposefully let my twists steam up in the shower to get them to fuzz and plump.

As for cornrows, my cornrows used to couldn't last more than 4 days without fuzziness. Now that I henna, my hair appears coarser and so it doesn't frizz up as quickly in cornrows. I can now make them last 2 weeks (over 3x the time before). I usually spritz with water and tie down with a satin scarf every night, and it may also help to keep a scarf on as much as possible and definitely don't wash the hair. I can go two weeks without washing my hair and if I did my cornrows wouldn't last at all.

winona

WOW I didnt realize that I had so many questions that I forgot to put in my orginal message. Sorry ladies:grin:
Do you wash your hair when in twist or cornrow? Also what product du you use? I notcie that when I use something heavy like shea butter, or a twisting cream with some hold, my hair stays neat longer.
I do not wash my hair in cornrows/twists. I use a homemade product that basically water based then a little butter based product to seal.

Is your hair natural or relaxed?

I'm relaxed, but I just spray with SCurl and tie it down.

I am a natural 4b/4a in front and back. I tried the SCurl and other curl products and they made my hair hard/dry. I tried them in several ways. Wet/damp/dry over single and multiple saturations. O Well

Do you style your hair when damp or when dry? U might want to play with this to see what works best for you. Adding an oil like coconut oil can add sheen/shine!

I style on slightly damp hair. Just enough so parting and such doesnt hurt. I will try a straight oil instead of butter this weekend.

Fuzzy twists are the best twists! I used to purposefully let my twists steam up in the shower to get them to fuzz and plump.

As for cornrows, my cornrows used to couldn't last more than 4 days without fuzziness. Now that I henna, my hair appears coarser and so it doesn't frizz up as quickly in cornrows. I can now make them last 2 weeks (over 3x the time before). I usually spritz with water and tie down with a satin scarf every night, and it may also help to keep a scarf on as much as possible and definitely don't wash the hair. I can go two weeks without washing my hair and if I did my cornrows wouldn't last at all.

I henna too and honestly cant remember how my hair behaved before henna because I didnt really know how to do anything:spinning: I just see all these ladies with sleek looking cornrows and twists and they are like yeah this is two week old twist and I am like:blush: mine would look like :ohwell:

I will post a pic of my hair when i get home and take a pic:look: Hope my boss doesnt come over here:look::lachen:

SimJam

Id love to know how to stop my hair from fuzzing up.

Nonie thats how my hair looks the day after I get my hair done ... and I get my hair blown out then twisted with ecostyler ... and I sleep in a scarf.

ladylo

Bumping. I would also like to know. My twists get fuzzy no matter what I twist with and I cannot leave them in for more than a week. I have never washed with them in either because I'm too afraid that the hairs will mat together and dread and I'll wind up with one hell of a detangling session. :sad: Is it method or are some people's heads just more prone to fuzz?

winona

Updated with of the fuzz

1st pic is a couple of days into wear
2nd pic is day one with fuzz already

Attachments

• DSCN3185.jpg
    DSCN3185.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN3137.jpg
    DSCN3137.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 52

nzeee

@Nonie i only WISH i had your fuzz :spinning:! if the OP is anything like me then when she says it fuzzes up after a week, she likely means it looks like you've had your style for 4wks and washed daily after just 5-7days. you have well behaved fuzz :eek:)

even tyeing hair down doesn't solve it beyond the first 2hrs or so untied since it just does its thing after.

OP i've always attributed my hair frizziness/fuzziness to my inconsistent curl pattern. i've long accepted that i don't have a head of nice uniform curls/coils that play nice. fully half my hair is on the straighter side of the 4b scale (no zig zag... no nothing really. those strands look almost permed) and the rest of my hair coils. i think the neatest looking braids/cornrows come from those w/ a consistently straight or consistently coily/whatever hair since the consistency will create a more uniform appearance and less fly aways (??).

that's my theory anyway. i'm curious to know whether your hair is a do its own thing mess like mine ;)

Mook's hair

The only way that I've found to guarantee frizz free twists & cornrows is to create them on blow dried hair or straightened hair.. Sometimes it is enough to just add a bit of heat.. Not blow it out bone straight...
My favorite product to use when cornrowing is Bee Mine Luscious.. generously
I find that adding a creamy moisturizing product to my hair tames it as I braid.. Also my cornrows are taught. Not tight.. but very secure. I work very close to my scalp as I braid.. Loose rows will plump and frizz much faster.

With twists, I also prefer them to plump and frizz. But once again.. They won't as long as I do them on blown out or pressed hair.. Like these.. I did not blow it bone straight.

Here's another obstacle.. Weather & humidity. This natural hair slurps up any moisture.. So if it is humid or raining, I just accept that it's going to drink the moisture from the air and buff & frizz..

This doesn't happen as often when I'm cornrowed because they are secure & firmly wound together.I need to start taking more before & after shots.

I just realized that I always get the day 1 shot but rarely take a pic on the final day to see how they have held up.

This is day 1 of twists I did on freshly washed hair - no heat
I used Bee Mine Curly Butter + Luscious moisturizer + water.

And this is the frizz from swimming and cowashing several weeks later..
When I wash/cowash, I secure the ends because they'll unravel too much if I don't.

nikolite

Bumping. I would also like to know. My twists get fuzzy no matter what I twist with and I cannot leave them in for more than a week. I have never washed with them in either because I'm too afraid that the hairs will mat together and dread and I'll wind up with one hell of a detangling session. :sad: Is it method or are some people's heads just more prone to fuzz?

I think if you have fine and/or porous hair it is more prone to frizz. This type of hair easily attracts moisture from the air and swells and lifts up the cuticles easy, causing frizz and flyaways. Coarse hair doesn't--the cuticles are laying flat, the hair doesn't atract moisture and more likely to stay in place because its heavier and sturdier. I think this is why my cornrows last a while after I henna (which coats the hair strand, flattening the cuticle and blocking out moisture).

It could also be hair length too. If your hair is quite long you may have less of the shorter hairs that flyaway in cornrows than someone with ear/neck length hair.

And don't wash your twists! I've heard of a few rare people this works for but most of us this is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Nonie

Id love to know how to stop my hair from fuzzing up.

Nonie thats how my hair looks the day after I get my hair done ... and I get my hair blown out then twisted with ecostyler ... and I sleep in a scarf.

I think that's the issue. If you blow dry your hair, then when humidity or water gets to it, it shrinks and you get fuzz. If you twist hair that hasn't been blow-dried, then it kinda behaves like prewashed jeans and the puffing up isn't as exaggerated as it'd otherwise be because it's not coming from almost 100% straight to wavy.

I never blow dry or press hair before braids either, which is why my braids stay neat even after a wash. This are my braids after a wash:

If your hair is straightened before you put in extensions, then there's an accordion effect when your hair shrinks.

Back to twists... I think the twisting method also makes a difference. If you're just wrapping hair around itself w/o first twirling each strand before wrapping them, then hair unravels more easily and will get fuzzy quicker, not to mention it'll lock up more easily.

This is how I twist and what I mean when I say twirl before you wrap:
YouTube - Two Strand Twists--My Way

Same method seen here in real time on my own hair:
YouTube - Two-Strand Twisting Gets Easier With Practice

Last edited:

ladylo

I think if you have fine and/or porous hair it is more prone to frizz. This type of hair easily attracts moisture from the air and swells and lifts up the cuticles easy, causing frizz and flyaways. Coarse hair doesn't--the cuticles are laying flat, the hair doesn't atract moisture and more likely to stay in place because its heavier and sturdier. I think this is why my cornrows last a while after I henna (which coats the hair strand, flattening the cuticle and blocking out moisture).

It could also be hair length too. If your hair is quite long you may have less of the shorter hairs that flyaway in cornrows than someone with ear/neck length hair.

And don't wash your twists! I've heard of a few rare people this works for but most of us this is a nightmare waiting to happen.

I think that's the issue. If you blow dry your hair, then when humidity or water gets to it, it shrinks and you get fuzz. If you twist hair that hasn't been blow-dried, then it kinda behaves like prewashed jeans and the puffing up isn't as exaggerated as it'd otherwise be because it's not coming from almost 100% straight to wavy.

I never blow dry or press hair before braids either, which is why my braids stay neat even after a wash.

If your hair is straightened before you put in extensions, then there's an accordion effect when your hair shrinks.

Back to twists... I think the twisting method also makes a difference. If you're just wrapping hair around itself w/o first twirling each strand before wrapping them, then hair unravels more easily and will get fuzzy quicker, not to mention it'll lock up more easily.

This is how I twist and what I mean when I say twirl before you wrap:
YouTube - Two Strand Twists--My Way

Same method seen here in real time on my own hair:
YouTube - Two-Strand Twisting Gets Easier With Practice

Thanks for the responses!

@Nikolite: I do think that my medium/fine strands are more prone to frizzing. I would love to wash my hair without redoing it but I don't think that method is for me. My niece washes her hair with tiny braids in and has no problem but water also beads on her hair whereas my strands seem to suck the water in and puff up.

@nonie: I think you are also right that the blowdrying doesn't help the situation. I will see if I can master your method of twisting to keep them looking neater during the week but I'm not ready to give up the blowdrying yet. I don't go 100% straight just do enough to avoid the shrunk hair look that doesn't suit me too well. I can recall though that even on freshly washed shrunken hair my extensions never looked neat like yours post wash. :perplexed I think once I get the hang of moisture retention I will look into henna as a porosity control option.

LadyPBC

I thought it was just me and that it was because I must have a head full of hair that had split ends. Love this thread - subscribing!

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I think as far as cornrows go, if they are smaller, they last longer and don't get fuzzy as quickly. I've had mine in since monday. I have been smoothing castor oil over them before bed, and I tie a satin wrap on. seems to be working pretty well so far:

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-11-19 at 18.58.jpg
    Photo on 2010-11-19 at 18.58.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 17

bgsix

Mook and Myangeleyez: I lurve your work. A girl can only wish to have skills like that. I am getting better though.