Who Takes Chlorophyll for Hair Growth?

Isis

A few years ago, I used to take chlorophyll supplements (along with my iron supplements) to help increase my red blood cells. I don’t know why I stopped but my hair really seemed to be abundant in those days. I’ve learned that cholorphyll is the “blood” of plants and it looks almost exactly like our red blood cells (except it’s green of course) and it is totally compatible with our blood. I bought some liquid chlorophyll the other day, the same brand I used to get in capsule form (World Organic), and I just took one tablespoon (100 mg)in a glass of water.
I've been taking spirulina for a long time, which also has chlorophyll, about 30 mg for every 3 g of spirulina. There are many other benefits too for chlorophyll.

What have been your hair results with chlorophyll?

G

I don't take chlorphyll but I am interested in taking spirulina. What are your results from taking it-the spirulina I mean?

Isis

Spirulina gives me a lot of energy because it is a "live" food. I think the Beta Carotene (4,000 IU per serving) really helps my hair and skin like carrot juice does and my hair has been thick and shiny for years, even when I was unknowingly abusing it. They say we as humanity can survive from eating Spirulina alone.

G

There's a thread on spirulina...if I find it I will bump it up.

CocoaCure

Thanks Natori!!! I'm very interested in the Spirulina too!! I'm into learning more about natural health foods!!

CocoaCure

Thanks Natori!!! I'm very interested in the Spirulina too!! I'm into learning more about natural health foods!!

Isis

Brittanynic16 -It is a food (blue-green algae) more than a supplement. I love spirulina it has all the vitamins and minerals we need to sustain life. And it's so great for our hair. Earthrise is the brand of Spirlina I use. Here is a link to some info about it: http://www.spirulina.com/SPBSpirulina.html

ms jadu

I had taken liquid chlorophyll by Nature's Sunshine for 6 months. I do not think that the chlorophyll had made any effect with my hair growth. It did conquer mouth odors though.

Isis

For me (I am anemic) I could feel the difference in energy from taking chlorophyll (on top of the spirulina I take daily) and I believe this is due to my red blood cells increasing. I took some last night for the first time in a few years and I feel the difference already. In this way, I get more nourishment for the growth of my hair, like I do with my iron but even more so and in a different way than iron. Chlorophyll has lots of benefits including what you said Ms Jadu about mouth odors (it eliminates all body odors) but increasing my red blood cells and enriching my blood is important for our hair growth.

Isis

Britannynic16 - In the past, I wasn't focusing on growing out my hair. I just took it to build up my red blood cells, which worked very well. Because I had more red blood cells, my scalp was nourished more and my hair was growing well, looked thicker too. I didn't take care of my hairthen so I can't tell you how it works in comparison to biotin. Now that I'm growing out my hair, I can monitor the results from chlorophyll and make good comparisons. I guess I'll know in a month or so.

G

I am interested in taking chlorophyll now since it increases red blood cells...but I always thought it was poisonous...for example you are supposed to peel all the green away from your potatoes (before cooking). I will have to research this more...

Isis

But that's like saying all green veggies are poisonous. Chlorophyll is what makes plants green.

G

Well, I'm not saying green vegetables are poisonous..I was saying that the green under the potato peeling was poisonous..that's chlorphyll. I always heard that...I have tasted potatoes with it still on and it does taste a little potent [if that makes sense]. So I was surprised to notice that you can actually take a supplement. If it makes more red blood cells then I'm all for it..only I want to research it more or maybe consult a doctor first.

LABETT

HEY ISIS
I have been taking spirulina for the last three weeks and I
am very impressed I have more engery and I like that it is
a good protein source also.
Do you still take a multivitamin with spirulina.

Isis

Labett - I don't take a multivitamin at all. Maybe I should but I've been doing ok with certain vitamins and minerals as well as eating a good, healthy diet and getting most of my vitamins from my food. Spirulina is a food and it's a main part of my protein and B-12 source (I still supplement with B-12). I take Spirulina daily no matter what else I eat or take.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
Well, I'm not saying green vegetables are poisonous..I was saying that the green under the potato peeling was poisonous..that's chlorphyll. I always heard that...I have tasted potatoes with it still on and it does taste a little potent [if that makes sense]. So I was surprised to notice that you can actually take a supplement. If it makes more red blood cells then I'm all for it..only I want to research it more or maybe consult a doctor first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for bringing this up Natori24. You made me really curious about the green stuff on potatoes and I had to do some of my own research on this. I learned that it's not the chlorophyll itself that is poisonous, it is "solanine" that is poisonous which all potatoes have but the levels are increased when they are made green by exposure to light, humidity or warmth. Chlorophyll is harmless.

[ QUOTE ]
Concern about the potential toxicity associated with eating green potatoes is not unusual. It is important that consumers understand the causes for potato greening. This color change can occur as a result of inadequate soil coverage during the growth stage and subsequent exposure to sunlight or it may be due to exposure to artificial light during storage or while on the retail store shelf.
The green color is caused by the presence of chlorophyll. This is a natural plant pigment which is tasteless and harmless. The tendency toward greening differs among potato varieties. This varietal difference has been found to be especially significant when potatoes are exposed to the artificial light found in retail stores; including storage and sales areas.
The concern with greened potatoes should not be the color but the fact that solanine, a potentially toxic alkaloid, develops in the same area along with the chlorophyll. Greened potatoes, therefore, are often higher in solanine than those not greened. The bitter taste associated with greened potatoes is caused by the solanine, not the chlorophyll. The amount of greening is not a direct measure of its solanine content, since the synthesis of chlorophyll and solanine are separate processes.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.uaf.edu/coop-ext/publications/freepubs/FGV-00337.html

http://courses.bus.msu.edu/materials/1202/solanine_in_potatoes.doc

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/icooks/ask_8-5-02.html

G

Oh okay, thanks for the research. I didn't get the chance to do it myself. I knew something was wrong with those potatoes that had green under the skin...

Isis

You're welcome, Labett.

Myhairsos - I get my Earthrise brand of spirulina at my health food store (I try to get it on sale) or online at IHerb.com. There are other brands like NOW that are probably just as good. I make sure each tablet is 500 mg of spirulina. Some people buy the powdered kind for cooking with - I haven't tried that yet.

G

I did more research on the chlorophyll and now I am definitely interested in taking it. I want to include this into my diet along with spirulina. I was wondering what was a good brand...I saw a liquid brand and a tablet form called alfafa-so I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

G

I have another question for those who take chlorophyll and spirulina: How much do you take? I saw the directions on one brand and it says to take 1 tablet up to ten times per day..I was a little shocked.

Jade21

Mmm...I have to say that I think Earthrise brand is some of the best. Compared to NOW, Earthrise is like the cream of the crop. I say that because they are a specialty company. That's their focus and they take great care to offer a variety of superior options to people. It's sort of like Spectrum and Health From the Sun who specialize in essential fatty acids.

I think that chlorophyll is great for your entire body, including your hair. Kal also makes a good supplement for everyday purposes. It's 20mg which you can chew or swallow. I've been taking this for years. For chlorphyll in particular, I would frankly stay away from tons of alfalfa. Check out what Dr. Weil has to say about why at his website. He was an early warner. I don't even eat the sprouts any longer which I used to adore.

I've taken chlorella which treated me better than the spirulina. Spirulina left me wired. Chlorella, spirulina, etc are all foods. That's why you can take as many tablets as you like. The worst side effect is that you might have to run to the bathroom a bit more. Details left unwritten. With the chlorella, 2tablets of 300-400mg were plenty to get some 2" of growth per month months.

You might also try eating a mixed greens salad. I would highly recommend the Earthbound Organics bagged salads which come in varieties like Romaine baby greens, Fresh Baby Greens, Herb baby greens etc for a daily, immediate source of chlorphyll plus a variety of nutrients like potassim, magnesium and trace minerals like silicon which feed your hair tremendously.

~Jade~

G

Jade21-Thanks for the all the great info. and the warning about alfalfa...from my understanding it said that the alfalfa supplements contained chlorella. I will check out Dr. Weil's warnings. Can you explained what you meant about feeling "wired" after taking the spirulina? Also, you achieved 2 inches of growth every month taking chlorophyll? What other supplements are you taking, Jade21?