Pictures of type 2/C hair????

LuLu

here:

Her hair looks close to my new growth...

Chichi

[ QUOTE ]
According the scale used by Andre Walker and, I believe, naturallycurly.com, this is not true. Type 2s, regardless of subcategory, *never* grow afros. If that's the case, assuming these Types are accurate, your hair is a Type 4B, which doesn't hang down, grows in "waves" ("Z" formation as opposed to "S" formation of ringlets) and definitely can make *beautiful*(!) afros.

Also, Type 3 is considered curly. Type 4 is considered kinky. They're not classified as the same. I typed out a pretty exhausting post earlier in this thread that was taken from Andre Walker's book, detailing the supposed differences between Types.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it seems that we are going around in circles...

I still believe that 2Cs can grow afros. It may not look like a 3 or 4 afro but it is still an afro nontheless. Maybe the 2As and 2Bs cannot grow afros but there is a world of difference between the two. My 2C hair cannot form ringlets (unless I curl it). It grows out straight but with ripples in it. The grade of my hair is coarse and strong (resistent). It doesn't have a z pattern but rounded s waves.

I guess, yes, you can call the 3s curls and the 4s kinky. I just heard that anytime your hair grows out wavy, you are a two; fine hair is 2A all the way to coarse hair, 2C.

I also have Andre's book and I don't feel that he adequately represents the 2s.

Chichi

divacurl

my hair almost looks exactly like the models pic. it may be a bit loser. i buy the hair type charts i'm very much a 3b with a tiny bit of 3a thrown in.

Nyambura

surfer girl
[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:
...I also have Andre's book and I don't feel that he adequately represents the 2s.
Chichi

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA.
I think he was trying to help but his categories only served to create more confusion, lol. I don't think he adequately represents Type 2s, 3s, or 4s!
I mean, how can there only be two types of curls (3A or 3B), three types of waves (2A, B or C) and two types of coils/kinks (4A or 4B)? If we have all types of genetic combinations in the African diaspora that create a wide variety of skin tones and eye colors, it stands to reason that our genetic combinations have also created more than 7 types of textures!

GodMadeMePretty

I know 2cs that can grow an "afro." At least in terms of what an afro looks like. I believe that a 2c who is not african descent can not form a true "afro" since that word is derived from Africa. A former co-worker of mine (fully Causasian) had an "afro" when her hair was short. Natural "afro", no products to get it like that. Of course it looked different than an African afro, but an "afro" nonetheless.

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
godzooki said:
Gah!!!!I feel like a amnesiac wandering around a big city asking "what am I?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Crysdon

The longer your hair gets, the heavier it is, which is why a person with curly hair would have waves at the newgrowth instead of curls/coils. My newgrowth is always wavy, but I am no way a 2 anything.

Also, you cannot tell your true hair type if you have not seen your natural (meaning NO chemicals) hair in years.

inthepink

I agree with Crysdon. My new growth comes in as waves also and I don't consider myself a 2 but a 3. I didn't even know my hair curled until I kept with the transitioning. Now, I'm finding that it does curl in the back but taking a while longer in the front. I'm VERY happy to discover that my hair does curl though!

Spagirl

Wouldn't the heaviness of the hair be the same thing for the 2s hair type models as well?

This hair typing thing is too subjective I guess with no accepted definitive standard. To use hair typing without giving an example of someone else's hair as a reference will only lead to confusion. I would use hair typing with caution to be taken with a grain of salt.

Godzooki, you can stop wandering around now sweetie.

Edie

When I think of type 2C hair I think of:

Yeah my hair around the perimeter of my hair is somewhat like that only a loser wave. More like 2a or b.

Your hair looks more like 3c-4a. The hair in the middle of my hair is like that. The further from the center of my head, the looser the curl of the hair. It's really weird looking. If I put my hair in a pony tail, everyone says that I have this nice wavy hair. But then they don't see what's underneath it.

nbcgurl22

I don't think that you can truely see what your hair type is unless you see your hair in it's natural state. My girlfriend started transitioning and her edges were always in these little curls and she thought that she was somewhere in the 3b-c range. After she did the big chop she found out that she was a 4a/4b.

I also thought my new growth was different than my natural locks. I thought I was in the 4b range and my hair turned out to be 3c/4a.

I just think that you truely need to see your natual locks before you really know what your true hairtype is.

melodee

Oh no! Here we go again with the hair type classifications. I find we get more and more confused each time we discuss this, because every person has their own idea of what each hair type should look like. "Type 3 hair" can be brushed into S-wave pattern, and many people think that they are looking at "type 2". There are some "Type 4's" that are mistaken for "3's" and vice versa. Sometimes, I wonder if Andre helped or hindered us by classifying our hair.

leejure

[ QUOTE ]
Nyambura said:
[ QUOTE ]
leejure said:
[ QUOTE ]
Nyambura said:
Based on your description, silvergirl, it sounds like you are a Type 2.
According to Andre Walker, Type 2s and 3s frequently get confused (so I guess they're similar but 2 = waves, 3 = curly).

[/ QUOTE ]

So what's my hair type then?

-lee

[/ QUOTE ]

... your post is a good example of why I too have struggled to fit my hair into the cut and dried Types category. Like I was saying to Lulu and Godzooki, the Types as Walker defined them, seem too limiting to include all the textures we sport. But, assuming Mr. Walker's Types are perfect and leave nothing to be desired (lol), according to your description, you should be a Type 2, but your hair looks just like the beautiful woman with Type 3B hair on page 83 of Andre Walker's book.
Halle Berry's hair, when she leaves it alone (she occasionally posts pix on her website of her chillin at home) looks just like yours, but shorter. Walker classified her as a Type 3B too. But I understand perfectly where you're coming from, Lee.
After trying to force my hair into one category or another, I gave up and just started taking recs from those people whose hair seemed to like the same thing mine did. Although Walker said you have to know how to Type your hair in order to take care of it, I haven't found that to be the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Nyambura! This hair typing biz always drives me crazy.

soslychic

[ QUOTE ]

The longer your hair gets, the heavier it is, which is why a person with curly hair would have waves at the newgrowth instead of curls/coils. My newgrowth is always wavy, but I am no way a 2 anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

So THAT'S what's up! I was wondering why my hair grew in a wave pattern cause woulnd't nobody eve look at this head and call it a 2 nothin'

WaterMoccasin

[ QUOTE ]
nbcgurl22 said:
I don't think that you can truely see what your hair type is unless you see your hair in it's natural state. My girlfriend started transitioning and her edges were always in these little curls and she thought that she was somewhere in the 3b-c range. After she did the big chop she found out that she was a 4a/4b.

I also thought my new growth was different than my natural locks. I thought I was in the 4b range and my hair turned out to be 3c/4a.

I just think that you truely need to see your natual locks before you really know what your true hairtype is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!