Relaxer Expiration

Crystal

Does anyone know how long relaxer will last before it goes bad? I'm going to self-relax again now that I feel I'm better educated. I was going to get one of those big 4lb tubs of Mizani since that's the only size I can find it in.

But if I'm going to touch up every 8 weeks, I'm thinking that tub could last almost 2-3 years. But I'm wondering if it would spoil or loose some of it's "umph" by then.

I called the company I was gonna' buy it from and asked if it had an expiration date on it, bu they said it didint'.

Anyone know? Or know where I can find a smaller application of Mizani?

azul11

i was wondering this as well because i saw the big tub of affirm but it was 35 dollars and since my head isnt THAT big i just couldnt see the point in buying it. i dont think for me at least they have the smaller tubs of affirm. not sure about mizani either. there may be websites that do but i know i prefer to physically buy it instead of buying it online. God bless you all.

UmSumayyah

I have read (on this board I think) that they last 6 months to a year. If you go for the super tub you really need to get someone to share it with or end up wasting relaxer. /images/graemlins/naughty.gif

pebbles

I asked a hairdresser at a salon how long they can last. She said in a cool, dry place they can last 6 months to a year. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Crystal

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
pebbles said:
I asked a hairdresser at a salon how long they can last. She said in a cool, dry place they can last 6 months to a year. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm... I just calculated that there's 64 ounces in a 4 lb tub of relaxer. Each touch up applications uses about 6 ounces of relaxer which would be about approximately 10.6 applications. So if I relax every 6-8 weeks that's roughly 7.4 touchups a year meaning I'd be wasting about 3 applications. hmmmm... decisions, decisons....maybe a tub isn't that bad of an idea.

pebbles

I think it's worth it if you're going to use that relaxer exclusively. I'm going to buy the tub myself. I may as well. In the long run, it's actually cheaper that way. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Crystal

What strength are you getting? And do you self relax or are you taking the tub to your stylist and also where are you going to buy yours from? I was gonna' buy my tub from
www.vipsalononline.com This is where I buy all my shampoo and conditioner and I like them because it comes like the next day, but a tub costs. $33 not including shipping. So I'm wondering if there's somewhere to get it cheaper.

pebbles

Hi Crystal,

I didn't buy it the last time because my friend who does my relaxer applications, (I don't go to a salon), had some left and she used it on me. I used the regular strength. My hair tends to be a bit resistant and it worked well for me. I always use the regular strength. I don't know of anywhere else that sells the Mizani relaxer other than vipsalon. I've been searching for it all over the net, but I've had no luck.

Crystal

I received my 4lb tub of Mizani Relaxer on Saturday and I plan on relaxing in a few weeks. I was looking over the tub and I saw a stamp that said "EX298" I took that to mean Expiration February 1998. Mad, knowing good and well these folks didn't send me no relaxer that expired 5 years ago. So I called Mizani this morning to find out what that was about and they told me it was the lot number. So I asked what was the shelf life and she said there was no shelf life and as long as it it's kept with it's lid on and at room temperature it could last years.... I don't know if I believe her though, This 4lb tub should last me a minute. I guess I'll just keep using it until it's no longer effective.

G

I looked on the bottom of the rlaxer box, and indented was NOV)05.. and I had recently purchased it, so I'm guessing 2 yrs.

Aggie

Whoa, I can't believe I found this thread. I have a big 4lb tub of Design Essentials and was wondering about the shelf life as well. Okay looks like I may have to share it with my sister as I don't relax my hair too often. Between me and her, it should still last us a year.

lurkersincejan

Do they sell tubs of no-lye relaxer also? I saw some tubs of relaxer in the bbs but it didnt say if it was lye or not lye. That would save me a lot more money then buying the boxes.

Aggie

Do they sell tubs of no-lye relaxer also? I saw some tubs of relaxer in the bbs but it didnt say if it was lye or not lye. That would save me a lot more money then buying the boxes.

Not to my knowledge. All I know is that no-lye relaxers have to be mixed with an activator and lye relaxers do not. I have only known lye relaxers to come in the tub size because they can be used over a longer period of time without getting spoiled, while no-lye relaxers once mixed with an activator has to be used within 24 hours I think.

vonte422

I've heard of people putting their mixed no lye relaxers in the fridge for preservation. Last year my room was hot so i put my ors lye in the fridge (cool, dry, place) and my roommate was like :ohwell::lachen:<-me "it aint cheap ya know"

MuslimahTresses

If you have a no lye relaxer how would you know if its old if it doesn't have an expiration date on it? Does it have a smell or a certain look to it?