Trim Before or After the Relaxer/Texturizer?

OneInAMillion

Hi Ladies,

I'm struggling with some uneven ends over here and I know I need a trim (it's been about 5 months, so I knew it was coming :lol: ). I'm not planning on getting a texturizer for another month, but I'm going to get my roots blown out in the mean time. Should I just go ahead and dust my ends before the texturizer, or should I wait till after? I typically just do both at the same time, but I'm just wondering if it's worth it to wait?

MizaniMami

I would do it AFTER the relaxer. Newgrowth never grows in even. So if you did it before, right after you relax and that new growth is straight it would just be uneven again. I hope you see what I'm saying;)

WesternEyes

I would do it before. If you notice that you are having split ends. Better to cut them now, before they start splitting more up the hair shaft.

Healthb4Length

MizaniMami said:
I would do it AFTER the relaxer. Newgrowth never grows in even. So if you did it before, right after you relax and that new growth is straight it would just be uneven again. I hope you see what I'm saying;)

I agree with MizaniMami, you should do it after the touch-up. You only see your stretched newgrowth after the relaxer, if you do it before you may cut too much or too little off.

OneInAMillion

Thanks, I guess I'll wait till after, but in the meantime, I'll do hot oil treatments and make sure I keep it protected until I get it done. Any other tips? Oh, and does this splitting up the hair shaft actually occur? I've really never gone on this long w/o a trim, but I've never gone this long without a relaxer either.

Healthb4Length

OneInAMillion said:
Thanks, I guess I'll wait till after, but in the meantime, I'll do hot oil treatments and make sure I keep it protected until I get it done. Any other tips? Oh, and does this splitting up the hair shaft actually occur? I've really never gone on this long w/o a trim, but I've never gone this long without a relaxer either.

My #1 tip regarding chemicals is, before you do a relaxer you should do a deep protein treatment a week before you get your touch up. Something like Aphogee or Nexxus's Emergencee is very good. A week after your relaxer you should follow with a light protein treatment as well.