Dominican Blow Out vs Brazilian Keratin Treatment

Treasure2k6

Hi Ladies!

I usually get the Dominican Blow Out when I am stretching but wanted to know if any one has tried the Brazilian Keratin Treatment?

If any one else has experience with the Dominican Blow Outs but has also tried the Brazilian Keratin Treatment can you let me know what you thought about it? ....Or if its someone you know of who has tried it and their results!

:spinning:......Because I am EAGER To try it!!! I want to know the Good, Bad and the UGLY:perplexed

Rina88

Up until I started my HHJ at 20 all I knew was Dominican wash n sets ( blowout). IDK how they affected my hair bc I wasn't checking for health. I've had one in the early stages of my transition and there weren't't too many problems- besides their bad mouthing my new growth in both Spanish and English, and their lack of detangling skills- using fine tooth comb :eyeroll: . There wasn't any heat damage or much breakage- non after I washed. I have dense hair but fine 4a strands so I would be extra cautious going to them.

I've only ever done my own BKT's and so far only in the summer for the past 2 years and I like them a lot. It's great for me because in the hot months I like to classy daily. Haircare is a breeze and curls look much more defined and elongated. Though it does make my hair feel much less dense I like that too bc I don't have to wash in sections. Once again no heat damage, always reverts back within 30 days.

ETA: I've used Softliss brand BKT. The fumes BURN my eyes and I can't stand the smell of the 3rd step Morango neutralized/ conditoner. But that's just my experience.

Last edited:

StarScream35

I'm scurred to get the BKT so I'm glad you started this thread. It's that formaldehyde that has me running. Plus, my other concern is, when the new growth comes in, do you have to repeat the treatment at the same HIGH cost? Everywhere I have looked, it seems like the price is high. I did try Sally's Ion do it yourself BKT treatment last year. It contains Vanilan or whatever that stuff is. Awful!! Left my hair dry plus I experienced reversion. I made a thread about it and it seems many others experienced the same thing with it. I later found out Vanilan turns into formaldehyde or something like that.

shortt29

Up until I started my HHJ at 20 all I knew was Dominican wash n sets ( blowout). IDK how they affected my hair bc I wasn't checking for health. I've had one in the early stages of my transition and there weren't't too many problems- besides their bad mouthing my new growth in both Spanish and English, and their lack of detangling skills- using fine tooth comb :eyeroll: . There wasn't any heat damage or much breakage- non after I washed. I have dense hair but fine 4a strands so I would be extra cautious going to them.

I've only ever done my own BKT's and so far only in the summer for the past 2 years and I like them a lot. It's great for me because in the hot months I like to classy daily. Haircare is a breeze and curls look much more defined and elongated. Though it does make my hair feel much less dense I like that too bc I don't have to wash in sections. Once again no heat damage, always reverts back within 30 days.

ETA: I've used Softliss brand BKT. The fumes BURN my eyes and I can't stand the smell of the 3rd step Morango neutralized/ conditoner. But that's just my experience.

ITA with all the bold! :yep:

hothair

Well I can't say anything about the Dominican blow outs. BKT was perfect for me when natural, made curls more defined and took some of the bulk out. I would say unless your hair is very full, not to use so many passes on relaxed hair, especially if your hair is bone straight. It may come out limp looking. I now texlax -happened mistakenly but I prefer the body, and I would only do 2-3 passes on new growth.

brightest12day

I've tried the Coppola Keratin Smoothing Treatment about 2-3 times within the last 2 years and I like it. Didn't experience burning eyes, but I've always had it done in a salon--although it's cheaper to do it yourself, I haven't tried it yet. I don't think there was a huge difference between the Keratin and a blowout in terms of how straight my hair got, but my hair is always significantly softer, smoother and stays straighter longer with the Keratin. After the first month or two the only significant differences are the drying time and that my hair is less coarse. My hair will literally be dry within 7-10minutes which cuts down the blowdrying time for my straight styles significantly! If you try the BKT, make sure you use a sodium chloride-free poo & conditioner so you don't strip your hair too quickly. And if you plan to wear your hair curly sometimes, just know that it will temporarily loosen your curl pattern. For me, the keratin wears off of my ends last so I just pin curl my ends if I'm trying to do a braidout or something & want to blend it with the rest of my hair. HTH.

Last edited: