If black people wash their hair everyday it will fall out?!

GrowmeNOW

This is what my highschool(asian) forensics teacher told my class last week. She claims that "our hair is to brittle and weak to be washed everyday":ohwell:. Now since all of you lovely ladies have told me very different, i said to her that, that was not true. And she replied "you keep washing your hair everyday and yo u will see if will fall out.":perplexed Number one i didnt like her response because i have been washing my hair and have noticed the exact opposite. Secondly I do not like being made to feel as if i have to keep my hair dirty, because it cant take being clean:nono:. I just wanted to share this with you ladies. And hope to her from you. You all help to make my dream of having nice long hair an obtainable reality.

Proudpiscean

I wouldn't wash my hair daily with SLS/ALS shampoos, but rinsing with water and co-washing is fine. Actually, I wouldn't even waste my time arguing with her on this matter. :ohwell:

bravenewgirl87

I tried it with shampoo. Check my blog out this weekend to see the results. You can also join the challenge.

I do wash everyday with conditioner and my hair has grown and gotten very strong. Tell your forensic teacher to worry about her own people. How the heck would she know... she's asian, not black.

soonergirl

I agree growmenow!! I am sooo tired of non-african-americans, non lhcf'ers telling us what to do with the "unfortunate" hair we have:nono:...I co-wash daily and wash whenever I get the urge, before lhcf I too was told the negatives about our hair... My hair has improved sooo much from all that I have learned here!!!!

blackbarbie

I tried it with shampoo. Check my blog out this weekend to see the results. You can also join the challenge.

I do wash everyday with conditioner and my hair has grown and gotten very strong. Tell your forensic teacher to worry about her own people. How the heck would she know... she's asian, not black.

:funny:"Tell her to worry about her own people!!"......

Just curious, how did you guys get on that topic and how could she make a blanket statement like that? Also, did she have a case study to back that up? (since it IS a forensics class:grin:)

Don't let that lady get your blood pressure up b/c you know differently.

fluffylocks

WTH??

Please tell her not to speack on manners she knows nothing about....please! Do it for me. Right when she was saying that i would have said "what in the world are you talking about? How would you even know?"

Ask her where did she get that knowledge from?

Ask her how does she know?

Tell her you wash your hair everyday and its improving

And tell her she knows nothing about african american hair.....PLEASE tell her our hair is no different from any other race of hair.

I swear, some people need to STFU :wallbash:

Leshia

My hair hates poo but loves water. She's misguided or misinformed. Ignore her. :yep:

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

And by the way, it does kind of burn my beans that she had to express a mass racial generalization to a class of students. Keep that kind of ignorance to yourself, yanno?

:::walks away mumbling:: Wouldn't want her forensic help on any crime because the woman's too busy stereotyping...

Hair Iam

Is this her own opinion or does she have test, samples , results?..I believe facts are based on evidence ...not opinions!:ignore: RUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bravenewgirl87

Just curious, how did you guys get on that topic and how could she make a blanket statement like that? Also, did she have a case study to back that up? (since it IS a forensics class:grin:)

She really needs to. I see a lot of asians balding/thinning early, so instead of her telling us what to do with our naps, she needs to worry about that. Contrary to what she make think, asian hair can be very dry and there are even websites dedicated to helping asians take care of their hair. http://www.asianhaircare.co.uk/3.html The most common complaint I hear asians say with their hair is that nothing can be done to it. It cannot be curled, heat-styled (and hold) or stop frizzing.
So, tell her that you love the versatility of your naps, and she should focus her attention on trying to help her own people with their hair. Don't let people fool you, we are NOT the only ones with hair problems.

IMFOCSD

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

And by the way, it does kind of burn my beans that she had to express a mass racial generalization to a class of students. Keep that kind of ignorance to yourself, yanno?

:::walks away mumbling:: Wouldn't want her forensic help on any crime because the woman's too busy stereotyping...

:lachen:This is funny but I agree...

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I really can't believe she said that! WTH! She's ASIAN:perplexed...I'm sorry but it were me, I would politely tell her for her general information, I have been washing my hair everyday and it is thriving. She's also misinforming her class with her ignorance. She just needs to be corrected firmly and the rest of the class needs to have the right information. I'm sick of people from other ethnicities speaking about our hair as though they are experts on it.

bravenewgirl87

I really can't believe she said that! WTH! She's ASIAN:perplexed...I'm sorry but it were me, I would politely tell her for her general information, I have been washing my hair everyday and it is thriving. She's also misinforming her class with her ignorance. She just needs to be corrected firmly and the rest of the class needs to have the right information. I'm sick of people from other ethnicities speaking about our hair as though they are experts on it.

Not even all of that, because her she probably would have asked her ethnic background and stated that it was the reason why she was capable of doing such. Next time, just ask if she got all of her knowledge from her zero+ years of not being black. How a non-black could tell someone who is black about their beauty is rediculous to me.

blackbarbie

Not even all of that, because her she probably would have asked her ethnic background and stated that it was the reason why she was capable of doing such. Next time, just ask if she got all of her knowledge from her zero+ years of not being black. How a non-black could tell someone who is black about their beauty is rediculous to me.

Yeah, she probably would have said "oh, so you've been washing your hair everyday and STILL getting good results? Well that's only b/c you are part Asian (or caucasion, or indian, etc.)":grin: You know she would have still disputed the fact that the OP could wash her hair everyday and still get good results no matter WHAT kind of evidence would have been produced!

bravenewgirl87

Yeah, she probably would have said "oh, so you've been washing your hair everyday and STILL getting good results? Well that's only b/c you are part Asian (or caucasion, or indian, etc.)":grin: You know she would have still disputed the fact that the OP could wash her hair everyday and still get good results no matter WHAT kind of evidence would have been produced!
She probably doesn't know any better becaue black people probably told her that we cannot wash our hair everyday. Its not the easiest thing in the world to do, but its posible to wash black people's hair everyday. There is just a technique to it. You have to have the right shampoo as well. Those without SLS build up very fast on my hair and allow it to break off quickly, but if you have oily scalp, shampooing regularly is a must. I'll go into greater details in the new article on my blog.

To OP, show your teacher my blog.

GrowmeNOW

lol. We were studin hair analysis. And then she just went off into the description of black hair which was, "kinky, extra curly, brittle, and so on). Then she ventured off into her own hair care methods, which included not washing our hair regularly. mind you iam i like the only black girl in my class. So lord knows everyone was up in my head.:sad:.lol:wallbash:

Ms Lala

THat's just ignorant. All African Americans don't even have the same texture of hair so what works well for 1 person may not for the next. All whites don't have the same texture hair and neither do all Asians so what makes her think that all of our hair is the same. When I wear a loose fro I have to wash daily w/condish or my hair will be hard and break, the exact opposite of what she claims.

DarkVictory

THat's just ignorant. All African Americans don't even have the same texture of hair so what works well for 1 person may not for the next. All whites don't have the same texture hair and neither do all Asians so what makes her think that all of our hair is the same. When I wear a loose fro I have to wash daily w/condish or my hair will be hard and break, the exact opposite of what she claims.

Hear, hear! It's ignorant and innumerate to believe that all Black people's hair, or even all hair with the same texture, requires the same maintenance. Climate, diet, and body chemistry all influence hair care requirements.

Please do not let her get away with spreading this ignorance to the rest of the students. If you are uncomfortable confronting her directly (got to pass the class, after all!), put your challenge in the form of a question:

"Blackness (African ancestry) is only one data point. Shouldn't we consider other factors?"

Even if she says no, at least you've put better info out there for your fellow students, who may be more open to knowledge than the instructor.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
My mom used to try to tell me the same thing growing up. If that was the case I would have been bald 23 years ago. It's just a myth that sprang up because all the shampoo methods available to us had harsh detergents, too harsh for OUR hair, plus the fact that many were trying to maintain a straight style to be "publically acceptable" and non-threatening to the white folx. Daily shampooing and heat styling dont mix. Heck, daily heat styling can be bad, if not done properly.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
See, I was told this as a child and I didn't know any better until I got here. I'm so glad that I found this site. This info should be in the trash along with the lie that AA women can't grow long hair. I love LHCF. We get so much education on our hair on this site that we can't understand how others can be so ignorant. This is especially hurtful since it's from someone of another race and culture.:ohwell: We know that this comment is not true. :yawn:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
This thread is right on time!! :up: I was thinking of posting a similiar topic....

A couple weeks ago I decided to experiment and wash my hair everyday with just a little poo just to see what would happen....my hair actually likes it...talkin' about being suprised? :shocked: There is no breakage or dryness. :drunk: I was wondering who else on LHCF was using poo daily, I'm glad I'm not the only one. :D

While I was at Giant today I noticed that John Frieda has a line for curly hair with a 'daily use shampoo' and conditioner. I am considering trying it after I use up my beloved Garnier Fructis Curl n' Shine. :scratchch

:yay:

ETA: I changed Paul Mitchell to John Frieda (my mistake)....it was the John Frieda Ease Curl Around Style Starting Daily Shampoo and Daily Conditioner.

Last edited:

bravenewgirl87

Hey,

I am looking for people to leave comments in my blog about washing their hair everyday. Read my post and tell me about your experiences with shampooing. Also, join my challenge if you have never washed your hair for a week with a shampoo.

brickhouse

She probably doesn't know any better becaue black people probably told her that we cannot wash our hair everyday. Its not the easiest thing in the world to do, but its posible to wash black people's hair everyday. There is just a technique to it. You have to have the right shampoo as well. Those without SLS build up very fast on my hair and allow it to break off quickly, but if you have oily scalp, shampooing regularly is a must. I'll go into greater details in the new article on my blog.

To OP, show your teacher my blog.

I concur. My white co-worker told her that black people have to perm once or twice a week :wallbash:. Dummy. Her black friend told her that. She was shocked that I perm 3 maybe 4 times a year. My hair is longer than hers.

spiceykitten

I am very sorry that she said that to you and your classmates but to be honest she was not totally incorrect.

I would never wash my hair everyday but I have condition washed it everyday. A lot of people do not understand about board hair terminology. A condiiton wash is not the same as shampooing your hair.

Second, no one should wash their hair everyday. I had a white hair dresser tell me that. She never washed her hair everyday and it was gorgeous. I even had my ex, who is from the Soviet Union tell me this and his hair was gorgeous and full. They both washed every other day or every two days.

Now, you cannot generalize this woman with all Asians. There are Asians who are familiar with kinkier hair types. I met a girl from Taiwan and we had similiar textures. We both were doing our hair together in the bathroom and she looked over at me and said we have similiar hair.

There are Asians with wavy hair and kinkier textures. I know because I went to school with them, grew up with them and had every Asian friend under the sun. Asia is a very diverse continent. Not everyone has straight hair, even Indians. I could direct you to an Indian hair site I use to go to where some women complained about their hair, even down the darkness of skin.

If I was you, if it irks you so much than I would provide her some reading material on the subject. I am an educator and I appreciate students who give me interesting reading material that furthers my knowledge.

She probably does not know. In all fairness, there are some black people who still do not know proper hair care. There are still some blacks that think grease and dirt grows their hair.:perplexed So you cannot jump on this woman but you can guide her in a direction that leads her to think differently. Yet, be careful how you do it because she is your teacher.

The time you spend complaining is the time you can make a difference.

Good luck.

mellowmel

Wow, she was definitely stereotyping. I worked around whites in college and one girl asked me why most black girls wear braids and if their hair gets long. You know I had to inform her. And I definitely had my say on their tans. I politely told them that some of yall I see at LSU with your tans that are really dark, look like yall could be my cousin.

Ladylyn

They let anybody teach nowadays. Talk about stereotyping, if you just listen to what she said it doesn't even make sense. I washed everyday for a year my hair loves frequent shampooing. Water is moisture. That's what we need the most moisture.

asubeauty

If your teacher were black, I'd say she was misinformed, but since she's not, she's just trifling...

EMJazzy

Happily retired
They let anybody teach nowadays. Talk about stereotyping, if you just listen to what she said it doesn't even make sense. I washed everyday for a year my hair loves frequent shampooing. Water is moisture. That's what we need the most moisture.

Prior to LHCF I never would have even thought of washing my hair everyday :nono: .....like yours, my hair is thriving. :yep:

Alpha Female

Who the hell made her an expert on African-American hair?! The nerve! She's lucky she said that to you, and not me! GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRR.

Anyway, with our hair types, we can't 'SHAMPOO' our hair every day, but certainly conditioning washes are allowable, and can even aid your hair health & growth.