Jamican Black Castor Oil??? IS it a MUST-have?

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

in my opinion the only must have is water..

i don't live for any products ....well kcnt:yep:
i sell tropical isle jbco ... i use it about 1/2 the time .... i dilute it b/c of past itching (helps me stretch the product & soothes the scalp)

my first love is kinky curly knot today & aloe vera juice (hair wise)..... everything else are just tricks of the trade (I mostly just listen to my hair... if it responds to a product, if that product is constantly making me say it's name!)...:look: oh, sorry, that was trey songz:perplexed

Last edited:

Carisa

Castor Oil for Hair, Castor Oil Hair Growth

Benefits of Castor Oil
•Castor oil contains Omega-9 fatty acids which help moisturize the hair and the scalp preventing both from becoming dry.
• Regularly applying castor oil to your scalp and roots to eliminate dry hair and promote regrowth of hair within months. It will also help to thicken hair that is thinning out.
•Helps reduce and prevent damage. Also can hide the appearance of damage while trying to improve your hair's health leading to thicker, fuller hair over time.
•You can also experiment with adding some castor oil to your conditioners for a deep conditioning treatment. You'll have to experiment with the amount of castor oil to use to avoid greasy hair. I would start off with a small amount like a teaspoon or less.
•Castor oil is versatile in that you can mix it with other oils to still receive the benefits but avoid the super-thick consistency. Try mixing it with Sweet Almond Oil to make it a lighter oil that is much easier to spread and gives it a nice scent.
•You can also experiment with castor oil for hair on your ends. This rich, thick oil will help your ends becomes shiny and hide the appearance of frizzy, damaged, and split ends. Over time, as you trim damage away, you'll notice your hair won't develop split ends as easily. Since it is so thick, you may want to mix it first.

I purchase my jbco from- Amazon.com: Jamaican Black Castor Oil 8 Oz: Beauty

Jbco is not a must have and you could also use olive or coconut oils

prettybyrd

I used, and continue to use, JBCO after I noticed some thinning. My hair has thickened nicely over the 4-5 months I've been using it, and it soothes my dry itchy scalp. My edges have also filled in quite well after using it.

I wear my hair in French braids every day, so at night I will use a vatika oil-JBCO combo on my scalp and the length of my hair and re-braid.

I purchse my JBCO online - I don't know if it's the purest, I tend to buy what costs the least...:look:

reeko43

Did nothing for me except make my hair smell like smoke. I wish that I had tried regular castor oil first. I would have saved money. I jumped on the jbco bandwagon with everyone else. Even suggested it to a friend. However, once I finished the bottle, I jumped back off. My friend saw no results either.

Quita3514

I've been usin it for a few weeks and I like it its been thickening uo my hair a lot ill post results in a month or so..with results!

www.startinfromsquareone.blogspot.com

Nya33

I use it but i don't think its a must have, used consistently I did see some improvement. I could easily go back to using Coconut oil.

However saying that, I really liked using JBCO in my DC my hair always comes out soft after mixing with my DC.

I got more excited and can't live without my megatek I definitely noticed difference when I took a break from using that.

yardyspice

I grew up with JBCO and I don't think it is a staple but not because it is not amazingly awesome to the tenth degree. I just think any castor oil will do and as someone who is super cheap I prefer to just buy the Indian castor oil and call it a day. I bought the brand below from my local Indian grocery store for $3.99 for 8 ounces vs JBCO which is $10 plus shipping.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

i actually started using jbco b/c of sunshine's hair (on hairlista)

her hair has come a long way over the last few years.... she made me a believer
so i hopped back on it 1-2 mnths ago

hannan

I really didn't see a difference between JBCO and plain old cold pressed castor oil on my hair. Still way too sticky and heavy.

kaykaybobay

I have purchased a case if it - right now I use it with a heavy hand. I know it'd greasy but it is saving my hair this winter. I have used it steadily now for a few months and yes my hair has improved in terms of better ends - hair is moisturizers and thickness has improved.

amwcah

I just use regular CO. It works just as well to me. I love it and it is a staple for me. I use it to cleanse my skin as well mixed with EVOO and Tea Tree Oil.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I've used them both and honestly can't tell the difference other than by the smell. The JBCO has a more woodsy smell. I ran out of JBCO and started using regular CO and my hair is just as soft as ever. So who knows if there's a difference. I'm gonna use the regular one because I'm tired of paying shipping fees for the other one.

kami02

For me - yes. I use as a weekly hot oil treatment for my dry scalp. I haven't had problems in months. But you can also use regular castor oil. The smell is a bit strong. But the smell and strength from the Tropical Isle line is NOTHING compared to the ones that come straight out of Jamaica.

Phaer

Where can I get some straight from Jamaica?????
Anyway, JBCO is a MUST for me, I will scalp someone if they took away my JBCO :lachen:with it I never worry about thinning edges or bald spots, all I have to do is mix some with Aloe Vera and I am good. Because it is so precious to me I ration it out. I only use JBCO on my SCALP, I use the cheaper versions for the hair shaft and conditioning mixes.

For me - yes. I use as a weekly hot oil treatment for my dry scalp. I haven't had problems in months. But you can also use regular castor oil. The smell is a bit strong. But the smell and strength from the Tropical Isle line is NOTHING compared to the ones that come straight out of Jamaica.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I really didn't see a difference between JBCO and plain old cold pressed castor oil on my hair. Still way too sticky and heavy.

I find it best to use it water either with damp hair or I wet my hands the add a few drops, emulsify then add to my hair. That takes the thick and stickies down to something more workable.

Louisex3

I used it on some thinning hair in my crown, didn't see any results, however, I did only stick to it for about 2 weeks.
maybe i should try again? :)

ms.tatiana

Yes for me :yep:. But I use it on my edges (which were at one point bald) & I've seen a lot of progress... I know pictures help so I'll share mines.

This is what I started with...

This is how it looks now....

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I used it on some thinning hair in my crown, didn't see any results, however, I did only stick to it for about 2 weeks.
maybe i should try again? :)

Yes you should. For two reasons, most who've had success with it used it consistently over a period of time. Second, regrowing hair on the crown is notoriously time consuming. Two weeks is not nearly enough time to determine success or not.

Makenzie

I saw no difference between JBCO and regular castor oil. Even so, I still want to try the sulfated castor oil.

Quita3514

For the ones that apply jamaican black castor oil to your scalp how often do you apply it your scalp..because i have some thinning areas in the front of my head which I trying to grow from getting hair braided too tight.

ms.tatiana

For the ones that apply jamaican black castor oil to your scalp how often do you apply it your scalp..because i have some thinning areas in the front of my head which I trying to grow from getting hair braided too tight.

Yeah my hair got pulled out from wearing tight braids. But when I apply the JBCO to my scalp it is usually mixed with a grease or other oils so that basically once a week. But when I use it on my edges I use it every day, I usually apply it at night so it can soak in at first it was because of the smell but I'm used to it now :perplexed

CarefreeinChicago

I put some in my hair and liked it very much then started to itch like crazy!! Even when I make the kimmytube leave in if I put jbco I will itch like crazy so now it just sits on the self.