Blue Black/Jet Black! What's the difference

LondonDiva

Blue Black/Jet Black! What\'s the difference

What is the difference in final outcome if you used a blue black or a jet black permanent colour on the hair?

KAddy

Re: Blue Black/Jet Black! What\'s the difference

I think it has to do with the base color. I have had a blue balck before (not on purpose), but I didn't like that as much because my hair is light in spots so after a while, my hair started looking green. I think jet black has a different base color, but I don't know what it is.

alliyah4eva203

from what i've seen in a certain light the hair looks like a dark electric blue kind of colour. where as jet black is just really really black.

NAY007

Jet Black imo is just plain black (no brown or red in there).

Blue Black has a little something to it that I just can't explain...I was looking for the right words....sorry:(

model_chick717

Blue Black has a bluish-green undertone and as the color gets old and starts to fade (even permanent color) it tends to take on a slightly greenish tint... /images/graemlins/nono.gif But if you keep the color up--it's basically the blackest black you can get.

Jet black's undertone I think is violet (at least that's what a stylist told me long ago when I use to where my hair black) It fades closer to a dark brown...

Jet black

NAY007

I have to disagree with modelchick.

When you dye your hair blue black you have to use a product that fills in all the porous spots in your hair and that prevents it from turning greenish.

I didn't know about that until I had my hair dyed blue black and the stylist told me she had to apply some kinda color to my hair first so it won't turn green...I was like oh ok. But it never turned greenish.

brickhouse

ITA. I use Dudley's blue/blk all the time and my hair is dark blk with a sheen to it. I have been using it for years. It is the best rinse I have ever tried. I am not sure about other blue/blk rinses

laketta

I use garnier 100% blue black and true it is the darkest black you can get. When my hair faded however, it did not turn green, it turned briwn so I guess it depends on the product and the process.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

I have Clairol Nice 'n Easy Blue Black in my hair now. It's suppose to be an oriental type color but it looks just plain black to me on my hair. There's NO green tint in any way. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I never had Jet Black color on my hair but my mom uses it to get rid of her grays and it just looks really dark black... if that's such a thing /images/graemlins/rofl.gif...my mom's hair is really silky so maybe a rich black color. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tracy

Whether or not your hair turns green when you use blue black has to do with whether the base colors are just green or blue, or they have something added to them (a neutral or violet base). It also has to do with youur base color. If it's just blue-green and your base color is light enough and has a gold undertone, you can end up green.

If your natural undertones are very red, that alone may be enough to counter a pure green or blue base. If a stylist added something to your hair before the color it's either a toner (which reguulates the tonality of the finished result) or a version of a red color to counteract the green.

Rule of thumb - blue black on hair with a gold base - whether true gold or golden brown - will go green. Blue black on red hair will not. Mixed base blacks (like jet black) will not. If you have a gold natural base, you can still use a blue black if you mix it with a red in the same formula. The ratio is about 3 parts blue-black, to 1 part red.

Mestiza

[ QUOTE ]
Whether or not your hair turns green when you use blue black has to do with whether the base colors are just green or blue, or they have something added to them (a neutral or violet base). It also has to do with youur base color. If it's just blue-green and your base color is light enough and has a gold undertone, you can end up green.

If your natural undertones are very red, that alone may be enough to counter a pure green or blue base. If a stylist added something to your hair before the color it's either a toner (which reguulates the tonality of the finished result) or a version of a red color to counteract the green.

Rule of thumb - blue black on hair with a gold base - whether true gold or golden brown - will go green. Blue black on red hair will not. Mixed base blacks (like jet black) will not. If you have a gold natural base, you can still use a blue black if you mix it with a red in the same formula. The ratio is about 3 parts blue-black, to 1 part red.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! Great info! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Are you a hairstylist?

NAY007

Tracy.....what can I say..you are ALL THAT girl:). Thanks so much for that info.

The stylist back then put red in my hair before applying the blue black color.

Tracy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No Ma'am. Just a daredevil. /images/graemlins/wink.gif I know a lot about color from experience coloring my own hair.

Nay - I remember seeing red undertones in your hair when you had pics up. It really does make a difference. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mestiza

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No Ma'am. Just a daredevil. /images/graemlins/wink.gif I know a lot about color from experience coloring my own hair.

Nay - I remember seeing red undertones in your hair when you had pics up. It really does make a difference. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK! Thanks for passing that info along to us. I'll let my mom know since she's thinking about changing her hair color to black. /images/graemlins/wink.gif