How to get 5-7 day hair (twist/braid outs) Pics included!!!

Amoreofcurls

How to get 5-7 day hair (twist/braid outs) UPDATE w/ pics 10/14/10

Ive noticed that, a common question when it comes to hairstyling (twist/braid outs specifically) seems to be....

How to maintain it, and what to do to keep it fresh looking until my next wash day....

Since its getting colder, I have a feeling the question will pop up more often, so this one is definately for the hair newbies...

#1I can never stress enough how important it is, to tie your hair up EVERY NIGHT, because this also retains moisture overnight....

Twist and braids outs have been a complete hair saver for me during the whole fall/winter season. and I highly recommend them to those who have issues with tangles and single strand knots, because this keeps them at bay....

During this whole week I took pics everyday and night showing exactly how I maintain my braid/twist outs...

Photo: MAINTENANCE | Feb/Mar 2010 (Daily twist/braid out, and wash & go maintanence) album | NaturallyNiké *June/July 10' album ready* | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

Tips

*For short or thick hair, cornrowing and flat twisting catches hair from root too tip, enabling puffy roots, and a more consistent pattern...

*Cornrowing,and flat twisting in short distances come out curlier, also givng a more consistent pattern to shorter hair...Braid or twist in two separate rows in back, instead of braiding from top of head all the way down...

Pic Examples:
Two Strand Flat twist

Cornrow

I also highly recommend you learn how to cornrow or two strand flatwist, because alternating between individual and flat will definately aid in making your style last,and give you so much more styling freedom...

If you keep practicing you WILL get it right...I totally sucked at flat twisting but got better and better as time went by....

Here are a few tutorials...

Flat twist:
[video=youtube;VRJv7F-n7H4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRJv7F-n7H4&feature=PlayList&p=AE15338A7EE934B4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=17%5b/IMG[/video]

YouTube - Two stand flat twist tutorial

YouTube - Flat-Twist tutorial

Cornrow
YouTube - Cornrow Tutorial Revisited

YouTube - Cornrow Tutorial....???

YouTube - How to cornrow

YouTube - How To Do Cornrow Braids - Learn how to to this simple braiding technique.

I HOPE THIS HELPS!!!...If you have any other questions feel free to ask!!

If anybody has any other useful tips, feel free to add em on!! :yep:

Last edited:

Amoreofcurls

SUNDAY NIGHT (this is totally optional)
Hair stretched after being banded....it was DC'd, steamed ,oil rinsed, then moisturized and sealed, NO Styling product

You can flat twist or cornrow your first set, it doesnt really matter, this is how I set my hair for a braid out.I normally do two rows in the back,and I highly recommend you do it if your hair is shorter, or very thick if you want to decrease some density...

MONDAY

Monday Night...Im always alternating between twist and braid outs depending on how I feel....flat twist are usually quicker to do

TUESDAY

Tuesday Night...by day 2 or 3 hair is pretty much streched out from the flat plaiting or twist, so depending on your hair, doing it anymore will OVER stretch hair, even making it a lil straight (in my case), but if thats the look you want, go ahead and do it, plus you can always spritz hair a lil for some reversion....In this pic I LOOSELY twisted the hair ,meaning I didnt disturb the pattern that was previously made. Make sure you moisturize them ends ends, I saturate my ends EVERY night with a lil leave in and shea butter, this also helps the ends to curl...

WEDNESDAY

Wednesday Night, and Thurday (had a day off)
Hair was lightly spritz for some reversion, then individually braided for the same reason stated on tuesday night pic...

FRIDAY
hair still intact, very lightweight and full of movement, and shine...FRIDAY NIGHT...I ended up sleeping with hair in a high loose bun, with a satin wrap around my edges....You can continue to rebraid or retwist if you want it to last longer. I get a lil carefree towards the end of the week since my wash day is Sunday

SATURDAY
A quick updo, like I said in the previous post, since you hair will be more stretched out, you will have a lil more styling options...

Last edited:

nikki2229

Beautiful hair.
2 questions, what do you use to moisturize and seal? Is your hair wet, dry or damp when your start twisting/braiding?

Amoreofcurls

Beautiful hair.
2 questions, what do you use to moisturize and seal? Is your hair wet, dry or damp when your start twisting/braiding?

Thank you

I like to alternate moisturizers depending on how my hair feels, lately it has been the kimmaytube leave in. Other times its Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship leave in, or for ultra lightweight hair, I use V05 Passionfruit Smoothie as a leave in...

I like to seal with a combo of EVOO/JBCO/Crisco which leaves my hair baby soft...

If I didnt band my hair before, then its done on damp to dry hair, you'll get more stretch that way...

Pompous Blue

This is an excellent thread OP!

Thank you for all of your hard work.....Your photos, dialog and sequencing are amazing!!!

dlove

Thank you so much! Are you retaining length? I'm thinking of doing this the rest of my natural hair life until I press it every once in a while. Seems like a protective style, yet you manipulate it daily , no combing... sounds like a great plan for a style that looks nice. Very nice

Amoreofcurls

Thank you so much! Are you retaining length? I'm thinking of doing this the rest of my natural hair life until I press it every once in a while. Seems like a protective style, yet you manipulate it daily , no combing... sounds like a great plan for a style that looks nice. Very nice

Your welcome, and I have not had any problems retaining length, there isnt really any manipulation going on because like you said, I dont use any combs or brushes. When rebraiding or twisting all im using is my hands, and I am very gentle when handling my hair...

My hair is pretty much stretched and detangled all week, well into my wash day....The twist and braids out have made my wash days a breeze because all I have to do is remove shed hair, I RARELY have issues with tangling...

Sequoia

This is just great- I want to try some braidouts and twistouts soon and this is just what I needed. Thank you!

lala

Amoreofcurls thanks for putting this together, your efforts are appreciated. I can't braid or flat twist, so I'll need to review the vids over and over :spinning:

JC-Junkie

Great Thread !!!! I need to learn how to do some flat twists and cornrows :)

I noticed that you stretched your hair out first? Can I do this and still be able to keep my natural curls a little bit too ? and can I do this and put it into a bun?

ajargon02

wow, you're in Ny and you wear your hair out in the winter????????

More power to ya! I'm glad this is workin for you! :) Thanks for sharing!

~~HoneyComb~~

Your method is almost exacting how I do my hair when doing twistouts--I wash, twist, and retwist nightly until my next wash day, not combing or brushing until wash day. My hair retains lots of length and each day the twist out is more defined.

Your tutorial is fantastic, and your hair is soooo beautiful.

danigurl18

Thank you for this! I always wondered how people can keep them up for more than one day! BTW your hair is gorgeous!!

Amoreofcurls

Thanks! Very informative! Now you just need to show us how you do your updos :look:

I love that updo!! It looks so classy! Please teach us how you did that. :grin:

great post! If you have some time, could you please do a wash and go tutorial?

As soon as I figure out how to get my cam rolling I gotcha on tutorials :)

Great Thread !!!! I need to learn how to do some flat twists and cornrows :)

I noticed that you stretched your hair out first? Can I do this and still be able to keep my natural curls a little bit too ? and can I do this and put it into a bun?

Definately, you can just band your freshly washed hair, your curl pattern with still be there but a lil more stretched out, and the best part of stretching hair is the more fullness and styling options it gives, especially with short to meduim length hair

Your method is almost exacting how I do my hair when doing twistouts--I wash, twist, and retwist nightly until my next wash day, not combing or brushing until wash day. My hair retains lots of length and each day the twist out is more defined.

Your tutorial is fantastic, and your hair is soooo beautiful.

Thank you, and yes I totally agree with everything you said, I do them for the same exact reasons, thank you andu and your hair is beautiful as well...

As for the ladies who have a hard time twisting or braiding, all I can say is PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT , I promise you :yep:

The braids or twists dont even have to be super neat because they are going to be taken out....