Moisturizing Pressed Hair

brownbean96

I personally have to when I flat-iron after a couple of days - mostly because as my hair starts to revert, my hair gets dry (don't understand the correlation). Also, the reversion, even if just in the roots, lends to two different hair textures (puffy & straight) and my hair HATES to be in that state. It gets tangly and can break easily so I MUST either moisturize of wash it - no in between. Just make sure to use something that's not water based. Once I moisture - I use Qhemet - my hair actually becomes a little straighter, especially if I wrap it. HTH

lettieg27

Yes you can, try not to use a water based moisturizer, but if thats all you have use the tiniest tiniest bit to avoid reversion and then tie you hair up.

keepithealthy

I moisturize my flat ironed hair with EVCO. It works great for me because it is light, adds moisture and shine. I don't experience any reversion when using it.

ScorpioBeauty09

I have to and usually do soon after it's pressed. I just don't use anything water-based and watch how much I use. If I don't moisturize my hair breaks off more and becomes rough. If I wrap my hair properly, that helps keep my hair straight.

Amoreofcurls

I put the focus in moisture BEFORE I flat iron by deep conditioning overnight so I dont have to worry about it for the next week...

I just rub a small amount of vatika or coconut oil in, and wrap it up...

MeechUK

MeechUK
You could try a little water-based oil moisturiser lightly smoothed along your length or ends then seal with an oil.

naturalmanenyc

Do not use water based product to moisturized flat ironed natural hair. Early on when I had my natural hair straightened (blow out and flat iron) at the salon, I moisturized (water based product) and ruined my hairstyle.

Use coconut oil OR deep condition BEFORE you flatiron.
It was a whole new experience dealing with straightened natural hair.

I went from this:

to this by day 3 after using a water based moisturizer:

It looked like I had a silky straight half wig on top of my own curly hair.

To fix the style, I flat ironed my edges with my miniglide.
I do not recommend flat ironing dirty hair.

Results

By the way, my hair was done by Juanita of Dominican Essence salon in Brooklyn. My hair was a bit too straight so I no longer get a blowout + flat iron. I do one or the other.

This is my hair BEFORE the blowout & flat iron:

JessieLeleB

Question for everybody, after you flat iron or blow out, when you want it to revert back does it ever go back to the natural curl or stays kinda straight for a while?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Miss AJ

I use oil based moisturizer on my flat ironed hair, Profective MegaGrowth Oil Moisturizer in particular. A little goes a long way and it does not make my hair greasy or cause it to revert.

Loverain

My hair soaks up anything I put in it. I moisturize before I flat iron, Im very heavy handed so it will be super oily the first day. I normally just bun it up the first day. After that it absorbes all the oil and its flowy and shiny. Just about every night I will apply a dab of water based moisturizer and then I follow up with about a quarter size of oil. My hair responds really well to being drenched it prevents my ends from being rough, because they are always in need of a trim.

GoodMernin

Like someone else posted...I concentrate mostly on my moisture by doing an overnight dc before blow drying and flat ironing.

Then while it is flat ironed, I will moisturize with unrefined shea butter from ends to roots about every other day.

05girl

I'm interested in hearing more examples of non-water based moisturizers. Does this mean "water" should not be anywhere in the ingredients?

My hair does not really like oil (low porosity hair) -- what should I be using?

babyshuf2

So what brands are you all using that are not water based?

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

I use water based moisturizers and my hair does not revert...water is the best moisturizer. I posted a video below (by Brittanynic16) about...I use the same moisturizing technique. The moisturizers I use are usually Cantu Shea Butter (mixed with extra water to make the consistency more runny) or Curls Creme Brule (anything water based). Put it on in sections (4 to 6) and then immediatly seal with an oil (I use Vatika or amla and many times both...lol).

kupenda

I'm lost. I thought oils couldn't moisturize. They have no actual moisture. So how are people using oils as moisturizers? I straighten my hair through Dominican blowouts and wait at least four days to moisturize because I DC at home and at the salon. Then, I use oils like castor and coconut for a few days before using humectress as a leave in or Profectiv healthy ends. Just a small amount followed by oil. I get a tiny bit of reversion. Most of my reversion comes from washing my face like Gabrielle Union in the Neutrogena commercial...yes, dramatic splash and all. And then cussing under my breath cuz I forgot about my edges

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

babyshuf2

I'm lost. I thought oils couldn't moisturize. They have no actual moisture. So how are people using oils as moisturizers? I straighten my hair through Dominican blowouts and wait at least four days to moisturize because I DC at home and at the salon. Then, I use oils like castor and coconut for a few days before using humectress as a leave in or Profectiv healthy ends. Just a small amount followed by oil. I get a tiny bit of reversion. Most of my reversion comes from washing my face like Gabrielle Union in the Neutrogena commercial...yes, dramatic splash and all. And then cussing under my breath cuz I forgot about my edges

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

I absolutely agree with your...which is why I use the oil to seal, after apply the water-bases moisturizer. The oil helps to keep any moisture that is already there or that you add in place or sealed....I do the "splash" sometimes too...lol!:lol: