Can You OVER Condition?

G

I thought I read somewhere in a magazine that too much conditioning can make your hair weak and break easily due to the softer fragile state.

Has anyone else heard this? If so, what would be overkill?

ngaa

NO!! /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif its like everytime i get summin that works, i meet a wall!! my new moto was moisture is my hair's best frend and now this /images/graemlins/cry3.gif oh well i'm jus hopin that this aint true coz all this is enuf to drive a girl /images/graemlins/nuts.gif

Armyqt

Well scientifcally speaking, I don't know. But from personal experience, I must say I have never experienced this. I think the key in the whole conditioing process is to get a good balance of protein and moisture. That is, maybe if you only ever used moisturizing conditioners (which soften the hair), your hair possibly could become weak. However, by adding a protein treatment say once or twice a month, it provides the hair with strength, thus creating a protein/moisture balance.

I love love love to condition my hair and have never had any negative side effects from overconditioning.

Integrity

i dont think so. i know cathy mentions this in her book. I use her conditioner 10-15 minutes with heat and then leave the cap on without heat for another 15-20 minutes and rinse when it cools. it hasnt damaged my hair or made it limp and unstylable as cathy says. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

i must add that if protein products are used too frequently that may cause a problem but i dunno if that counts as over conditioning.

pebbles

Hi Mindymouse,

I would say it depends on the type of conditioner you are using. If you use protein conditioners too often, then yes, you will experience breakage due to dryness. As Armyqt stated, protein conditioners should be limited to once or twice a month.

Since black people typically suffer from dry, brittle hair because of the curl pattern of our hair, (we don't get the moisture from the natural secretions from our scalp as whites and asians experience), the more conditioning we do to add moisture, the better. It's important to use a moisturizing conditioner. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sweetcocoa

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Pandora said:
i dont think so. i know cathy mentions this in her book. I use her conditioner 10-15 minutes with heat and then leave the cap on without heat for another 15-20 minutes and rinse when it cools. it hasnt damaged my hair or made it limp and unstylable as cathy says. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

i must add that if protein products are used too frequently that may cause a problem but i dunno if that counts as over conditioning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you Pandora....I think they may be referring to the protein conditioners...which <font color="red">we all</font> know here /images/graemlins/wink.gifon this site can be overused. I feel that as far as moisturizing conditioners my hair can never get too much.

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
ngaa said:
NO!! /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif its like everytime i get summin that works, i meet a wall!! my new moto was moisture is my hair's best frend and now this /images/graemlins/cry3.gif oh well i'm jus hopin that this aint true coz all this is enuf to drive a girl /images/graemlins/nuts.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ngaa come away from the wall girl. I moisturise my hair everyday and it has to be soft like a baby's behind, I'm always adding moisture to it as, like you it's my hairs best friend /images/graemlins/smile.gif I've had no problems with my hair and only experience breakage (which is minor) close to touch up time.

G

That makes, sense. Not having that balance an just using moisturizing conditioner.

Hmmm.

I noticed a couple of strands of my hair just went into a small not at the end, almost like someone tied it, I thought that was very strange... and I read about to much moisture, I'm like THERE'S NOT SUCH THING!!! LOL

Julia

The only thing I have heard is that too much conditioning can make your hair limp and weigh it down. However I have never experienced this. Pebbles' explanation is dead on. I think that perhaps those cautionaries apply to Caucasian hair...so keep conditioning your hair girl, your will love you for it! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

Yes, my hair does seem to need all it can get.

Greedy!!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

happylocks

I think u can over condition, I used to everyday, doing my CW, My hair was not as thick, I compared some strands to others, my hair before, was about 2 strands put together but after it looked fine, I thought it was someone eles hair, I do think u can over condition, I stop doing daily CW and Nightly deep conditioning,by the way I used Suave for my cw

aprilbiz

I think you can as the others have stated, if you don't have the correct balance... I am wondering however about build-up and if it can affect your relaxer...

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I don't think over conditioning is possible, but I do think that hard-protein conditioners can be overdone if used to often or against the manufacturer's directions.

G

Okay, Cathy recommends using her conditioner everytime you wash (which is every three days)-she says to do this when you are just starting out on her system...so is that too much protein/overconditioning for your hair? Now I'm not sure if I will use her conditioner or not-let alone every three days....

debyjay

When I used sta-sof-fro my hair got extremely weak. It was pathetic, really really weak. I guess that was over conditioning?

DelightfulFlame

I think so, which is why I make it a point to clarify so often. I try to use an ACV rinse after each wash, and a clarifying shampoo at least once a month to prevent buildup.

G

She uses Whole Leaf Aloe vera for protein, it's like the second ingredient. I've heard of people saying their hair is a little stiff after using it...

karezone

Yes you can over condition. When that happens, your hair is so soft that it breaks easily, it literally feels like it is melting. This why I stopped doing overnight conditioners.

CheerBear

I believe it is, once in high school I left some optimum care con on for like, 40 minutes and when i rinsed it out and finished, my hair was extra shiny and soft, but it was also limp and wouldnt hold any curl and very thin. My stylist told me i had overprocessed it. So yeah..I think it's possible...however, i've never been able to duplicate those results

Lindy

Yah, I don't know if you can call it over conditioning, but I think that some conditioners can leave the hair TOO soft and fly-away.

Once I used Kerastase Masquintense under my heat cap for about 40 mins., then did a rollerset. My hair came out TOO soft. It was SO light and fly-away, I couldn't do a thing with it!!
Now when I use that, I just leave it in for a few mins. without heat, and it works fine that way!!

inthepink

I wonder if this is true. I tend to think that if you're using a light conditioner for daily CO washes, then it shouldn't happen...I would think that if you left a heavy conditioner in hair overnight, that might cause a problem. But I haven't tested this theory. It's just what I think works for me.

karezone

I know it don't do it ladies. Just try to make sure that you have the proper balance of protein and moisture because if you don't, your hair will not thank you.

Spagirl

I'm presently dealing with "Flyaway" hair that's easy to snap/break. Last time I washed my hair I used AO GPB and followed up with CB Smooth Triple Silk Conditioner. I guess I didn't need to use that combo either since some ladies have found AO GPB doesn't need to be followed up with another conditioner.

Yesterday, I tried using Got2b So Smooth Miracle Repair Treatment, as a protein type leave-in on dry hair, and sealed it with some oil. I was hoping this would help me until it's time to wash my hair again and at that time I plan to use a stronger protein....
I wonder if Salerm 21 leave-in would be useful for flyaway hair in between washing? &lt;&lt;looking for SG post on protein along with products ingredient list&gt;&gt;

Thanks Karezone!
I will be trying to find the proper balance between deep protein heat treatment and moisture treatments. I also plan to do more proteins back to back until my hair begins to show slight signs of improvement (I don't want to over do it).

G

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
Okay, Cathy recommends using her conditioner everytime you wash (which is every three days)-she says to do this when you are just starting out on her system...so is that too much protein/overconditioning for your hair? Now I'm not sure if I will use her conditioner or not-let alone every three days....

[/ QUOTE ]

I did when I first started cause my hair was kinda in bad shape. It's only twice a week and it's not real strong like aphogee or anything.

It really helped my hair. But I think it depend on your hair type.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Mindymouse said:
It really helped my hair. But I think it depend on your hair type.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not sure of my hair type so to speak..I noticed that most classify their hair along the lines of 3's and 4's. All I know that my hair is fine/thin and since I have had the braids in for awhile I need intensive treatments once I take them out. Oh, and I don't relax my hair..so I wonder if Cathy's system will even work for me..she says all hair types can use her system relaxed or not..but I'm still unsure.

Neen

I was reading the book 'Hair Rules' and he said people with kinky to curly hair can't over condition and that it only happens to those with straighter hair because it does not have the dryness issues kinky/curly hair has and it gets weighed down with moisture and stuff.

I also wanted to add that it is a little tricky with relaxed hair. The hair is straight due to the processing but it's dry due to the processing. One has to find the perfect balance becuase it can easily dry out due to chemicals but get weighed down just as easily due to conditoners. It's like a double edged sword, ya know? I guess it just takes some trial and error to figure out what works for you. When my hair was relaxed it would get mushy if I conditioned too much, but now my hair just drinks it up
. HTH.

Neen

[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:
I also plan to do more proteins back to back until my hair begins to show slight signs of improvement (I don't want to over do it).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was reading in a black hair mag (I read alot if you didn't notice
)that you can do up to two protein conditioners a week until your hair gets back in shape. Seems like a lot to me but just wanted to pass that on.

karezone

Yeah I knew about the protein I did Joico kpak and motions cpr, 2 times a week for the 4 weeks that I was home for break.