Anyone ever tried a real Mayonnaise or Avocado treatment for dry hair?

Anna9764

So far i've done a the mayo twice, i've been reading about both on the web. You apply the mayo (enriched with oil,vinegar and egg, read to only use real mayo not salad dressing etc.) And avocado on dry hair before washing, leave-in for 30 minutes or so (use plastic cap)then wash and condition as normal. Can't wait to try the avocado...says to use really ripe fruit with or without EVOO. Least their no chemicals involved :yep:. Also have heard that the mayo has been known for hair growth as well. Wore braids for so long my hair seems so dry, can't seem to hydrate it. Just thought i'd share......Anna

morehairplease

So far i've done a the mayo twice, i've been reading about both on the web. You apply the mayo (enriched with oil,vinegar and egg, read to only use real mayo not salad dressing etc.) And avocado on dry hair before washing, leave-in for 30 minutes or so (use plastic cap)then wash and condition as normal. Can't wait to try the avocado...says to use really ripe fruit with or without EVOO. Least their no chemicals involved :yep:. Also have heard that the mayo has been known for hair growth as well. Wore braids for so long my hair seems so dry, can't seem to hydrate it. Just thought i'd share......Anna

thanks for sharing. Recently, I tried the egg deep conditioner treatment(mixed 1 whole egg with my deep co w/plastic cap for an hour and rinsed). My hair was extremely soft yet strong and supple. I actually know of a lady that does this(dc with mayo) weekly and her hair is just gorgeous(she's natural and flat irons weekly). I will give this a try next week as I am trying to replace as many commercial products with all natural ones as much as possible.

Last edited:

Aggie

I was just doing a lot of research on this myself. I already started incorporating a few kitchen items to my hair like the eggs, ACV, epsom salt, and now looking to try more. Avocados are not full yet in the Bahamas, but I think I will be using them on my face and hair when they're fully in season. I have a tree growing in my backyard but never used them for my hair. I want to use a beer rinse too. I hear it is a natural biotin shampoo used for thickening hair as well as give it life and shine. I will be using bananas as well which are great for hair tool. I have a few recipes to play with.

Aggie

thanks for sharing. Recently, I tried the egg deep conditioner treatment(mixed 1 whole egg with my deep co w/plastic cap for an hour and rinsed). My hair was extremely soft yet strong and supple. I actually know of a lady that does this weekly and her hair is just gorgeous(she's natural and flat iron weekly). I will give this a try next week as I am trying to replace as many commercial products with all natural ones as much as possible.

Me too MHP. I heard the egg used with olive oil aids in strong hair too. I guess these are awesome as prepoos also. I may use them that way for now until most of my commercial hair stuff are used up:yep:.

jrae

I'm a weekly mayo user. Its the perfect protein for my hair. Anky is also a mayo user. I put it on dry hair and then use a heating cap for a half-hour. Rinse. Then a deep moisturizer under a heating cap for another half-hour minimum. Top it with olive or safflower oil under heat for another half-hour. Then just rinse. Love it. Strong, soft moisturized hair!

Now... I've had bad experiences with other foods like banana and avocado - very, very ripe but I cannot rinse that mess out! I was late for church once trying to get it all out. I even tried banana twice. The second time I ran it through the blender first. Also, I didn't even like the consistency of my hair afterwards. Nothing beneficial in that one for me.

morehairplease

Me too MHP. I heard the egg used with olive oil aids in strong hair too. I guess these are awesome as prepoos also. I may use them that way for now until most of my commercial hair stuff are used up:yep:.

I will try this the next time I do the egg treatment. thanks for sharing Aggie.

Anna9764

I was just doing a lot of research on this myself. I already started incorporating a few kitchen items to my hair like the eggs, ACV, epsom salt, and now looking to try more. Avocados are not full yet in the Bahamas, but I think I will be using them on my face and hair when they're fully in season. I have a tree growing in my backyard but never used them for my hair. I want to use a beer rinse too. I hear it is a natural biotin shampoo used for thickening hair as well as give it life and shine. I will be using bananas as well which are great for hair tool. I have a few recipes to play with.
I too want to try the avocado on my face as well as hair...also good tip on the bananas sounds refreshing. I found a site called Avocados hydrate hair and skin...check it out, not a big site but avocado recipes to eat and recipes for hair etc. Also I found a gourmet avocado oil by Olivado that makes avocado oil each bottle has the juice of 22 avocados...check it out too. Oh yeah and search this one u guys will love it.....Spa-At-Home: Facial Masks Recipes....all kinds of recipes for face, hair, body all from your kitchen. Enjoy :yep: Anna

Aggie

I'm a weekly mayo user. Its the perfect protein for my hair. Anky is also a mayo user. I put it on dry hair and then use a heating cap for a half-hour. Rinse. Then a deep moisturizer under a heating cap for another half-hour minimum. Top it with olive or safflower oil under heat for another half-hour. Then just rinse. Love it. Strong, soft moisturized hair!

Now... I've had bad experiences with other foods like banana and avocado - very, very ripe but I cannot rinse that mess out! I was late for church once trying to get it all out. I even tried banana twice. The second time I ran it through the blender first. Also, I didn't even like the consistency of my hair afterwards. Nothing beneficial in that one for me.

Thanks for sharing about your banana experience. I am stretching my relaxer quite a few months and I heard it helps to loosen the curl pattern a little so I decided to make a banana hair pack - I found the recipe online and here it is:

Banana Hair Pack

Recipe for making Banana Hair Pack
To make a Banana Hair Pack at home, you need the following ingredients:
Ripe bananas (the numbers could vary depending upon the length of your hair)
1-2 tablespoons honey
2-5 drops of almond oil
1 Egg Yolk (Incase you have dry hair)

How to prepare a Banana Hair Pack
Mix the bananas, honey, egg yolk and almond oil in a blender to make a smooth paste.
Moisten your hair with warm water and apply the paste to your hair. This recipe can also be used as a pre-poo on dry hair.
Use a shower cap or wrap your hair with a towel to ensure the pack penetrates deep into the roots.
Let the pack set for about 25-30 minutes.
Wash it off with a regular shampoo.

Benefits of applying Banana Hair Pack

Banana is a rich source of potassium, Vitamin B and Vitamin C and helps to protect our hair from the damages caused by exposure to dirt, pollution and other toxins in the environment. Vitamin B found in bananas is effective in preventing split ends. This simple, homemade hair pack also serves as an excellent treatment for dandruff by retaining moisture in your scalp.

Warning:-
Avoid using the Banana Hair Pack in case you're allergic to any of the ingredients used in the preparation.

***Other recipes I will be trying are:***

Avocado Conditioner:-

Ingredients:
  • 1 avocado (peeled and mashed)
  • coconut milk
Directions:
-Combine mashed avocado with some coconut milk.
-Mash together until it is smooth and about as thick as shampoo.
-Comb it through the hair and let sit for 10 -15 minutes, wash out.

Deep Conditioner
Avocados contain vitamin B6 & vitamin E

The Ingredients
  • 1 small jar of real mayonnaise
  • 1/2 of an avocado
The Instructions
-Put together in a medium bowl and squish together with your hands until it's a minty green color.
-Smooth into hair all the way to the tips.
-Put on a shower cap or wrap your head with saran wrap.
-Leave on for 20 minutes.
-For deeper conditioning put a hot, damp towel around your head -over the saran wrap.
-And if you have really long hair and only need deep conditioning at the ends, cut the ingredients in half and apply only to the ends and just wrap them. Use fresh.

EPSOM SALT:-
-Combine 3 tablespoons of deep conditioner with 3 tablespoons of Epsom Salt.
-Microwave the mixture for 20 seconds.
-Work the warm mixture through your hair from scalp to ends and leave on for 20 minutes.
-Rinse with warm water.
Promotes body and life in your hair and restores curl to permed hair.

Aggie

Hair pack for damaged hair
Ingredients
Juice from 1 freshly squeezed lemon
2 egg yolks
1 egg white
1 tablespoon of honey.
Mix all the ingredients, apply on hair and let it rest for 10 minutes. After that, shampoo and rinse off.

For soft and silky hair
Ingredients
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of honey
Mix it all well, apply on hair. Wrap the hair with a towel or shower cap and let it rest for 15 minutes. Shampoo and rinse the hair.

Increase hair volume
Ingredients
1 tablespoon of vinegar
1 tablespoon of honey
1/2 cup of warm water
Spray bottle - pharmacy stores usually sell them for a couple of dollars, get a smaller one.

Preparation:
  • Mix the ingredients in a bottle and shake well
  • After you wash the hair with shampoo, let it dry a bit.
  • When it is damp, spray the mix you have prepared.
  • Massage the scalp so the liquid gets absorbed better
  • Don't rinse the hair off, simply let it dry
For soft and shiny hair

Ingredients
1 tablespoon of coconut oil

3 tablespoons of sour cream
  • Mix the ingredients and apply them on hair.
  • Wrap a towel around it and let it rest for 30 minutes
  • Shampoo and rinse off well
Olive oil for shiny hair

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 egg

Preparation:
Mix the two and apply on hair. Leave it on for about 10 minutes and wash off using warm water, then shampoo.

Avocado hair moisturizer

Ingredients
  • 1/4 avocado, peeled and mashed
  • 1/4 mayonnaise
  • blender or food processor
Preparation
  • Combine avocado and mayonnaise in a blender or food processor until the mass is consistent and smooth
  • Apply on hair and cover with a shower cap
  • Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes
  • Rinse off with a gentle shampoo
Here is another conditioner avocado recipe

Ingredients
1 whole avocado
1 cup of coconut milk

Preparation
Mash avocado thoroughly and then slowly mix with the milk and stir until it resembles a thick, conditioner like mixture.
Cover hair with mixture and leave for 15 minutes then rinse completely and shampoo

Aggie

Rosemary Hair Conditioner

Ingredients
4 drops of rosemary essential oil
1/2 cup of honey
1/4 cup of olive oil (warm) or 2 tablespoons if your hair is normal or dry

Preparation
Mix all ingredients well and pour into a clean bottle. Dampen your hair and apply the mix gently rubbing the scalp and making sure the mix is spread well all over the scalp and hair. Use a warm towel and wrap the hair up leaving it on for 20-30 minutes (or use a shower cap). Wash your hair with a shampoo and rinse off with cool water.
This recipe provides hair growth stimulation thanks to rosemary essential oil; honey cleanses the skin of the scalp, and olive oil ads nourishment.

Who would have ever thought of using honey for hair growth? But really, this liquid heaven is not just delicious to your taste buds; it is also from your head to your toe. It is as they call it, an all natural beauty treatment. Because honey is easy to access, there are also a lot of recipes that one can choose from to use for hair growth treatment.

Honey and yogurt mask for dry hair for smoothing the hair

Ingredients:
2 cups of yogurt
4 tablespoons of honey

Preparation
Blend the ingredients and apply them on wet hair.
Leave on for 30 min and then shampoo the hair.

Honey Natural Hair Conditioner:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of honey
2 tablespoons of olive oil (if you have normal hair) or 1/4 cup if your hair is dry and damaged

To prepare it:
Mix the two ingredients and apply on hair making sure the scalp is well covered. For even better results, gently massage the scalp. Cover the hair with a shower cap and forget about it for 30 minutes or so. Wash the hair with a shampoo and rinse well. Dry off as you normally would.

Note: Both honey and olive oil do wonders without a problem but I found that this recipe works even better if I take a shower while the conditioner is working or if I heat up the olive oil before mixing it with honey. The heat helps the nutrients penetrate the scalp better.

Honey is an antiseptic and is known to clean the scalp and hair well while olive oil adds the much needed moisture to dried hair and just a little bit of moisture boost to normal hair.

Honey hair conditioner is another easy way of using honey for hair growth. Honey nourishes and moisturizes not only the hair but also the skin.

Here is a conditioner that uses honey for hair growth treatment.
Ingredients:
3-6 tbsp. of honey, 1-2 tbsp jojoba oil or olive oil and a few drop of favored essential oil.

Directions:

Mix all ingredients and massage into your scalp. Leave for 15 minutes before rinsing with cold water; shampoo hair with regular shampoo and air dry hair.

Last edited:

Aggie

I too want to try the avocado on my face as well as hair...also good tip on the bananas sounds refreshing. I found a site called Avocados hydrate hair and skin...check it out, not a big site but avocado recipes to eat and recipes for hair etc. Also I found a gourmet avocado oil by Olivado that makes avocado oil each bottle has the juice of 22 avocados...check it out too. Oh yeah and search this one u guys will love it.....Spa-At-Home: Facial Masks Recipes....all kinds of recipes for face, hair, body all from your kitchen. Enjoy :yep: Anna

Do you have the direct link to this site Anna? I'd like to have it please if you don't mind.

Subscribing. I'm allergic to avocado (just the food, not the oil...weird) and banana, but I've been using honey in my hair treatments. I love the body I get when I combine honey, olive oil and egg.

Last edited:

LaidBak

I read about using real mayo years ago (I was maybe 10 or 11). I tried it but I didn't like it. You have to rinse it ALL out really well or your hair will stink once your head gets hot. *shuddering* I still remember that smell.

manegoal

I did an avocado mask this morning with heat for 20 minutes. I did not use mayo though, just avocado, honey, oils, butters, and water and whisked until smooth and creamy. I plan on phasing out store bought conditioners. To me my hair looked better and darker afterward (I CWC'ed). Next week I will be doing something with eggs with no heat. I plan to alternate with these homemade goodies.

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
thanks for this! what a great thread. i am also subscribing and would like the direct link the website, OP, if you don't mind.

Aggie

The results of homemade haircare products/ingredients are more lasting than those of commercial products and cheaper too.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I mixed 1 Ripe Avacado. A Squirt of Mayo, some Plain Fatted Yogurt, Honey, BSM, EVOO, Wheat Germ Oil, a little drop of SAA and a couple drops of Honeyquat. Hair felt wonderful

chebaby

i may try the avocado one as i love avocado oil but i know i wont try the mayo because the smell will make me throw up.

almondjoi85

Yes, make sure the avocado is very very ripe before proceeding or you will end up like me with pieces of hard avocado in your hair and the whole experience will be a mess.

Anna9764

I'm gonna try one of these u posted Aggie. I also wanted to try Honey. I heard it moisturized the hair also. Thanks

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I used to use Mayo on my hair ALLLLL the time when I was younger. I wasn't paying attention to if it made my hair shinier or healthier back then.

Anna9764

Trying a ripe Avocado with a little EVOO mixed in with a little left over Silk Elements Cholesterol conditioner tonight.