Unsalted butter on hair?

nijilah

I don't know why I just thought of this today, because this 'hair discussion' took place about 3 years ago.

I had a roommate from Eritrea (please forgive the speeling), next to Ethiopia, and her beautiful 3b/3c long curly hair started to break off. Frist, she went to a regular hair dresser and they gave her protein treatments, etc..., and she was not satisfied with the results. She said that it was too much money for a temporary solution. Then, she found a hairdresser from her country who told her that her hair is breaking from the change in climate, lifestyle, water, etc... from coming to the US. This hairdresser told her to apply unsalted butter to her hair at night, put on a shower cap, and sleep with the butter in her hair. In the morning, shampoo the scalp - not the hair - with a light shampoo, and apply a little conditioner. Finally, wear the hair in soft protective styles, for example no tight buns, but loose ones. Do this one month on and one month off.

She did this and after after about 2 weeks, I really saw the difference in her hair. The curls were very moisturized and shiny whereas they were kind of dry looking before (eventhough I always thought that she had beautiful hair).

She told me that in her country, many women sleep with this butter substance in their hair every night and do this treatment everyday. She said there is no substitute for this butter substance in the US and unsalted butter is the best equivalent. I don't know the name of the substance because she referred to it in her native language.

Anyway, I am going to try this for the next month starting this weekend and then post my results.

Has anyone else every heard of something like this?

Currently, I am finally officially bra-strap
, but the hair has been brastrap for about 3-4 months. My hair grew like a weed from around shoulder length along with a bunch of 1-2 inch broken pieces at the crown while I transitioned for about 1.5 years. Then, about 2 inches above bra strap, the growth slowed to almost a halt.

I am not complaining because I have no breakage and my hair is THICK and healthty. I have also noticed that my hair is healthy in the summer, but combating dryness in the winter is a serious batter. Although my hair is healthy, it doesn't have any sheen.
I hope that this butter method can help me.

Sorry so long and I better get back to work before the boss comes back from lunch.

CICI24

Yes its called Ghee clarified butter. my friend from Cameron also uses this I think they use this all over Africa. My friend told me it was good for hair growth but it stinks. I tried a while ago its okay I was to impatient to wait and see the results it is high in protein also.

CICI

adrienne0914

this sounds interesting. definitely let us know how it goes. and you might want to take before, progress and after shots so you will know whether it also helped with the sheen issue.

good luck!

daviine

I haven't heard of using unsalted butter alone, but, in Naturally Beautiful by Dawn Gallagher, there are recipes for hair conditioning treatments by Phillip Kinglsey which call for the use of unsalted butter.

Please keep us updated as to how it goes for you. Thaks for sharing!!!

Nyambura

surfer girl
Congratulations, Nijilah on reaching brastrap!

Cici24, I too can recall conversations about ghee clarified butter. I have also heard women from India say that they use it for the same purpose as Nijilah's Eritrean friend.
My mom told me though that it stinks to high heaven so I, despite my pjism, have not yet had the motivation to try it.

nijilah

I am going to look up that ghee clarified butter. Hopefully, I won't be able to find any near me because I have a real pj problem. I will definitely start with just the unsalted butter because it's cheap!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Nijilah,

I'm sure that the unsalted butter will smell much better too! So is this supposed to be done EVERY night? Wow! I bet some cool hair recipes could be made out of that too...

nijilah

Thanks for the congratulations for reaching bra strap. It did take some careful hair care, because my hair is so dry in the winter.

I have decided that I will do this every other night. On the opposing night, I will just massage my hair with warm seseme or olive oil and conditioner wash the oil out in the morning.

KittenLongPaw

I think I saw Ghee clarified butter at Trader Joes. I don't know if they have one where you live. Good luck though, sounds interesting

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
Make it yourself???

Restaurants buy it as "clarified butter". It is butter with all of the water and solids removed. Ghee will not scorch or burn and can be cooked at higher temperatures than any oil.

How to Make Ghee (clarified butter)

Ghee is 100% butter fat which is used in many oil therapies, healthy cooking and herb combinations. Ghee is salt and lactose free with 14 grams of fat per tablespoon.
Difficulty Level: Average Time Required: 1 hour 30 minutes

Here's How:
1. Melt 2 pounds of organic, unsalted butter at a very low heat.
2. Once melted, slightly increase the heat.
3. Decrease slightly if it starts to smoke or show signs of scorch. Do not let it burn.
4. Remain at this point for approximately an hour checking often but not disturbing it.
5. You will notice milk solids sinking, and foam at the top. Do not disturb this foam.
6. After an hour, let it cool approximately 15 minutes.
7. Carefully skim any remaining foam or floating substances off the top.
8. Filter the remaining clear liquid into a clean white jar. You may use cheesecloth, coffee filter or paper towel as a filter.
9. Cover and store in a cool place.
10. Use with moderation since it is 100% butterfat.

Tips:
1. Do not let it burn. Monitor the process until you get the hang of it. If you see or smell smoke or notice ripples on the surface, turn the heat down.
2. Avoid stirring while the solids are separating.
3. Use wisely, it can increase your risk of coronary artery disease.
4. Your finished product will have a rich golden color and buttery aroma. It will solidify but will not be hard.

nijilah

Thanks for the congrats Jade. I really need to start taking pictures of my hair so that I can really chart my progress. At the DC gathering, I had in kinky twists, but no one on the board has seen my natural hair. In a few weeks when I return from this horrible business trip, I am really going to try to put together an albulm.

Thanks everyone for the recipes!

I actually went to the grocery store last to buy the unsalted butter and a stack of the ghee clarified butter was on a rack right acrooss from the butter/milk/egg section! The ghee clarified butter was about $9 and the unsalted butter was like $2, and I bought the ghee (pj..pj..pj)

I put the butter on my dry hair, wrapped my hair in a plastic bag, and went to bed. In the morning, I washed my scalp with breakthru shampoo, applied ao swimmers shampoo to my hair, and then rinsed with almost cold water. Then, I applied kemi-oyl to my hair and up in a bun it went (with my cute wavy phonytail). My hair feels very soft.

Thus far, 1 treatment, excellent results.

Oh yeah, after I finish this jar of the ghee, I am going to make the ghee butter using the recipes. It is cheaper and I am about to go from working full-time to full-time graduate student so I need to get used to 'lack of funds.'

aqualung

See, you're gonna have me smearing some butter on my hair in a minute...

How stiff is the ghee butter? Hard like sticks of regular butter, or softer like margarine? It doesn't "run" like syrup or conditioner, does it?

Is it sold in sticks, or in a little tub?

Does viscosity get in the way of putting it in your hair? Do ya have to melt it down before you can smear it on?

Is there still a smell, or has the technology advanced?

Nina_S

Ghee actually works well - I use it after henna treatments. I get it from the Indian mart and I have even found in some Kroger stores that have foreign food aisles. It comes in a glass jar and is more expensive than regular butter. I keep it refrigerated and when I use it I boil water and place the jar in in the water to soften it. I cannot explain the smell....sorry, it's different.

Nina

B

ballet_bun

Has anyone been using this for a while now? If so, what are the results?

Ballet Bun ...

oglorious1

Mixologist
I'm bumping this up from the dead, I think I saw something like this in the Indian grocery store called "cow ghee", it looked really disgusting, can someone please confirm if this is the same stuff...

Isis

This sounds interesting, familiar too. I must have read something about using ghee besides cooking with it. Thanks for the info.
And thanks for bumping this.

UmSumayyah

Ghee is clarified butter. You know how if you melt butter there are some solids in it? Ghee is just the butter with the solids removed.
As for the original post, I wonder if the lady wasn't talking about shea butter.
[ QUOTE ]
She told me that in her country, many women sleep with this butter substance in their hair every night and do this treatment everyday. She said there is no substitute for this butter substance in the US and unsalted butter is the best equivalent. I don't know the name of the substance because she referred to it in her native language.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be that where she was she couldn't find any and didn't know about online sources. I wonder...

JetBlack

Peace & Love
My fiance is Ethiopian. His mother, aunts and sisters have been using this butter(ghee) in their hair for years. It is very common in Ethiopia. They all have very nice, healthy hair.

Mahalialee4

Jeblack could you ask them what their routine is for using this, and does it leave the hair soft and does it thicken it? How long is their hair and how often do they apply it? Do they use conditioners as well after they shampoo or rinse with any special rinse? Thank you for the reply?

Madison

Here's something I found on Ghee

Role of Ghee in human body as per Ayurved :

Caution: - Whatever effects are described below are true for the
ghee made by process described earlier, not for Diary Ghee.

As per Ayurved, ghee is the best of all fatty items.

It has following effects on human body:

1. It is intoxicant helps to remove toxins from body and thus, purifies blood.
2. It is the best “Rasayana” i.e. it helps to increase-resistance/immunity – vitality
.. and strength. It also helps for rejuvenation and longetivity.
3. It is good for eyes and brain. It helps to improve intelligence and memory.
4. It is good for digestion. It also helps to subside burning.
5. It is good for skin, joints and body tissues. So
- It makes body soft and supple.
- It improves complexion.
- It provides necessary lubricant to joints and surrounding soft tissues, thereby reducing
. the incidence of Arthritis.
6. It is good for vocal cords. It improves voice.

. From our clinical experience, we have not seen any benefits clinically by stopping ghee.

In fact, deprivation form ghee has given rise to many new problems. Ghee if taken sensibly,
In plain from as part of diet causes wonders in the body.

..The reason why our ancestors / forefathers were

- Strong in built and strength,
- Much more intelligent,
- Had good memory even in old age,
- No spectacles / bad eyesight in young age,
- Black hair

Was not only pure air, good food and physical work. But it was due to consumption of ghee as well.

http://www.doctortrivedi.com/artical.htm#ghee

http://www.ayurveda.com.au/ayursite1/newsletter/Article_ghee.htm

nijilah

I missed this being bumped.

When I tried this, I didn't do it every night as my Eritrean friend said. I did it every 3 days for 2 weeks straight and my hair felt FABULOUS! The dry brittle strands were moisturized and I was barely loosing hair during the comb out.

Now, I do this about once every 2 weeks and it has been a while since I had my twice a year dry brittle hair stand spell.

I give this treatment an A++!

Mahalialee4

Njilah" Could you share your method of using this? In wer or dry hair, before or after a shampoo and did you shampoo it out or rinse it out and did you use an AvC rinse or exactly what was your routine? Thank you.