Now Forming an Army of SUPER-LONG HAIR 4B (or mostly 4b) NATURALS!! Come on in!

bride91501

Now Forming an Army of FUTURE SUPER-LONG HAIR 4B (or mostly 4b) NATURALS! Come on in!

So, I've been on the forum for just about 6 months, and I joined because when I BC'd, I set a goal for SUPER LONG NATURAL 4B hair- WL to be exact :grin:

I've "met" and researched the fabulous long-haired 4b naturals on the forum (shout out to @Sera, @***Victory is Mine, @mwedzi, and the others), but what I haven't seen is a thread dedicated specifically to those whose goal it is to grow SUPER-LONG 4B NATURAL HAIR (BSL or longer).

I'd like this thread to be an inspiration to 4b/mostly 4b natural newbies that there are other 4bs out there who share their same super-long hair goals, are activitely growing their hair super-long, or have already acheived their super-long hair goal. It should be a place where we share tips, advice, encouragement, pics, inspiration, setbacks- the whole gamut.

So, come on in ladies!! I promise- this isn't another challenge :nono:, there are no hardfast rules, just a support community we can use to reach our super-long hair goals and show the world that "our" hair CAN & WILL grow as super-long as we want!

Please post your current reggie, your ultimate super-long hair goal, and starting and current pics, if you have them. Feel free to share your "relaxed to natural" story too....those are always fun to read :grin:

:welcome:

Last edited:

bride91501

Welcome ladies! Nubenap22 - this thread is for CURRENT & FUTURE 4B Super-Long Hair Naturals, so come on in now....no need to wait!

What are your goals? Your hair looks super-cute in your avi pic :)

Last edited:

bride91501

So, I'll go first....

As a kid, I constantly heard how thick, "unruly" and "nappy" my hair was. Ironically, one of the few people in my life who I didn't hear this from was my mother, but she never really did my hair- she kept my sis and I in extension braids until I was around 12.

By age 12, I wanted more of a say in my hair, so she stopped having my hair braided and left me to do it on my own. To say the least, the volume and density of my hair overwhelmed me, so behind my mother's back, I asked my aunt to relax it. This single event started a near 20 year cycle of hair abuse. I don't have a memory of my hair ever being longer than NL, & I never had any images of woman around me with healthy, long 4b hair :cry:

I BC'd on May 31, 2010 because I wanted to set an example for my 3 daughters that "our" hair is gorgeous, manageable, sought-after even, and that it can grow as long as we want it to, despite the messages that the outside world may give them.

So far, so good! I BC'd at around 2.5" in May, & my hair is currently 6-6.5" long (I'm SL now, *I think* lol). My ultimate goal is WL, which on my body is at 20", & I'm pushing for a Dec 2012 goal date. My current reggie's pretty simple- I CW 1-2x week, PS with conrows under wigs using LadyP's DMM, M & S daily, & DC once/week. I also do a PT every 4 weeks when I take down my braids, & I'm looking into adding Henna monthly as well.

My starting (May 31) & current (Nov 6) pics are attached. I plan to straighten my whole head for the 1st time next month...this was just an anxious sneak preview :lol:

Attachments

• June 3 2010 3 days post BC.jpg
    June 3 2010 3 days post BC.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 706
  • EH November 2010 Progress.jpg
    EH November 2010 Progress.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 845
Last edited:

bride91501

Successfulmiss - your hair is so full and beautiful! My favorite pic is the 2nd one with the twists...I can't wait until I hit your length!

How long are you now? What's your reggie?

Pooks

I know I'm gonna love this thread. Subbing! I can't share properly now cause I'm at work, so consider this a placeholder.

ETA: Okay, this is gonna be a mix of previous posts incorporated into something that makes sense hopefully.

I've been natural all my life (4b with what I believe are fine/medium strands) but started abusing heat getting my hair blowdried and pressed every 2 weeks at a salon during my late teens. They burned my hair often until I had a whole head of heat damage, but I loved the swangin results and being able to show off my almost APL hair, so I kept on going back, until my scalp was sensitive and my hair had thinned out beyond recognition. I eventually stopped going to the salon as much and reduced my heat styling to blowouts every few weeks.

I noticed between 2005 and 2006 that my hair seemed to be getting shorter and shorter, until my plaits were hanging like mid-neck (it'd never been that short before). I found hair forums and never looked back.

-----------------------------

CURRENT REGIMEN:

Wash Day:
I shampoo roughly once a week (Giovanni TTT/Smooth as Silk or AO HSR), follow up with a DC with one or a mixture of AO HSR, GBP, WC conditioners. I blot my hair and put it in two strand twists and then bantu knot the twists to dry and stretch my hair overnight.

Main Styling:
A few days later after stretching with large plaits overnight I get my protective style of choice done whether it be plaits, twists, canerows (no hair added), and wear those for 3-5 weeks depending on the size. I wash and cowash as needed while in PS. I detangle on dry hair using QB CTDG when I take down my PS. Full details here: http://public.fotki.com/UKDCqueen/year-2010/aug-sept-2010/slide20.html

Maintenance:
I oil my scalp when I feel like it, and spritz my hair and seal my ends daily.

Vits:
Chlorella, MSM and Biotin

------------------------------

I love natural products for my hair; Qhemet Biologics, Aubrey Organics, black castor oil, essential oils for scalp massage are some of my faves. I've discovered that my hair does not like heat, I've had some great retention since cutting it out totally apart from using a heat cap for DCing. I don't know if/when I will incorporate it back into my regimen, right now I really don't want to. Different strokes... My favourite PS is small twists or plaits.

I can't post pics from the computer I'm using right now but there are plenty in my fotki. I recently posted about how well my hair is doing now in this post: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...agement-thread-post12201339.html#post12201339

Right I've blabbed on enough. We can do it girls!

Last edited:

Successfulmiss

I'm so HUMBLED!!!!! I am technically SL but I'm hitting collarbone at the moment. I remember how so many people would say my hair was so "nappy" but it was just that it was SO THICK...no one knew how to tame it but with a relaxer. No More!!!!! LOL. I'm very basic with my reggie hun :)

-Moisture, Moisture, Moisture.
-Wrap my hair in satin and sleep on satin
- Baggying at least 1x-2x weekly
-Only finger combing unless in shower
-I do what I feels my hair "needs"

Products: ~most present to date, but I plan to go more 100% organic very soon I just transitioned over a ten month period and cut ALL of the relaxed ends off, sacrificing the "length"~
-Nunaat hair mask treatment(may be changing because I dont get enough product for the cost and I can use 1 jar in a week lol but its mainly brazilian keratin nut)
-Natural yellow shea butter
-EVOO
-EVCO
-Alma oil
-Elasta QP mango butter and olive oil
-Creme of Nature ultra moisturizing shampoo

I think this is a FANTASTIC thread. I'm not a big "challenge" type of lady. I think you should be disciplined enough to do it one your own consistently. JMHO:rolleyes:

bride91501

I swear you guys have some gorgeous hair. My 10 year old was being nosy a few minutes ago and saw Foxglove's gorgeous siggy puff and said "OMG..I'm dead" and proceeds to collapse to the floor (she's a bit of a drama queen, in case you can't tell lol).

@Successfulmiss - I know what you mean about moisturizing....I think it's the name of the game for alot of us 4Bs. How are you liking the Elasta QP mango butter and olive oil? I'm on the hunt for a heavy, creamy moisturizer and my hair has just been laughing at everything I've tried so far lol.

Last edited:

bride91501

Nice...Can't wait to see the posts.

Hi janet! I never thought I was a hair-color person (only had it done once in my life and my relaxed hair fell out at my crown 2 weeks later LMAO), but everytime I see your siggy pic that horrible memory fades a little bit more lol. Simply gorgeous :)

Successfulmiss

I am enjoying the Elasta qp BUT I prefer mango butter and shea butter mixed with oils(whatever you prefer) Also that formula has parabens, which Im not too pleased with.

SimJam

4b checking in. My goal is MBL streched

right now Im collar bone or "nostril" length in the front, my 1 year nappyversary is in 1 week :)

pics show my currnt length, BC texlaxed hair before I BCd and my relaxed hair bfore hair boards.

Attachments

• nostril length comp.jpg
    nostril length comp.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 570
  • BC.jpg
    BC.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_1961.jpg
    IMG_1961.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 540
  • me.jpg
    me.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 550

SimJam

oh my reggie now is

DC moisture and or protein every week
co wash or wash every week
twist or corn row - keep in for a week, then do twistouts for the next 3 weeks till I get my hair done again

detangle with comb once a month
staple products
african black soap/suave humectant poo
tresseme moisture rich to cowash
Scurl and ceramides - hemp wheat germ or sunflower to seal

bride91501

SimJam - welcome! You've made ALOT of progress in the last year...congrats on your upcoming nappiversary!

I forgot to mention that I'm also very much into ceramides now- they've been great for my retention. I use WGO in my CW and DCs, and I try to use products with ceramides high on the ingredients list. How long have you used them?

Last edited:

SimJam

@SimJam - welcome! You've made ALOT of progress in the last year...congrats on your upcoming nappiversary!

I forgot to mention that I'm also very much into ceramides now- they've been great for my retention. I use WGO in my CW and DCs, and I try to use products with ceramides high on the ingredients list. How long have you used them?

Tnx bride91501

@ the bolded Scurl and ceramides have made dryness a thing of the past for me. and I also add it to all my DCs.

Ive been using WGO on and off since I was relaxed for mixing with DCs but since I found out abt ceramides Ive made sure to always use it.

hempseed oil is just awesome for me its my staple sealer/ I alternate with jojoba oil

sunflower oil I use to finger detangle and for oil rinses

Think I started using them consistently in abt august of this year

Last edited:

Janet'

Hi janet! I never thought I was a hair-color person (only had it done once in my life and my relaxed hair fell out at my crown 2 weeks later LMAO), but everytime I see your siggy pic that horrible memory fades a little bit more lol. Simply gorgeous :)

Aww.Thanks!!! I love your signature and I love inspiration!

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I swear you guys have some gorgeous hair. My 10 year old was being nosy a few minutes ago and saw @Foxglove's gorgeous siggy puff and said "OMG..I'm dead" and proceeds to collapse to the floor (she's a bit of a drama queen, in case you can't tell lol).

Aww too cute! Tell your daughter thanks :grin:

Last edited:

yodie

I want to join!! I'm 4b. My strands are fine and my hair is very soft. Right now I go to the salon every two weeks. I tried for well over a year to find my own natural way. It just didn't work for me. I don't have 'the gift' and didn't really know what to do for my hair.

Now i know that my strands need protein on a regular basis. I LOVE Sebastian 2+1 for my hair. Works great, but Sebastian stopped making it. Sheesh! Joico KPak is a close second.

I'm using MN on my scalp a couple of times a week. I also mixed a vial of ceramides into my Chi Silk Infusion. I try to use this at least twice a week. I love hempseed oil, but I only use it right before wash day because it weighs my hair down. I'm also taking a multi and a hair vitamin.

transitioning?

Hey OP! I love this thread! I'm so down to join. Question do you have fotki links for ***Victory is Mine, mwedzi,? I know about Sera but not these too. I love looking a long haired ladies with afro texture.

I don't know if I'm a 4b but I'm a 4 something. My goal is WL. This is my second time going natural. I went natural because I don't like how then my hair is when's straight. Also i was tired of the scabs I got from a relaxer. How do I add a picture from my computer? I only can add pictures from other websites.

yodie

Forgot to mention that I'm going to the stylist and babying my hair until I have enough length to wash, detangle, dry under a hooded dryer and wear a twist out in a chignon - with Kimmaytube's Leave In. This product worked very well on my hair, but my hair is still kinda too short for the look that I want.

PrincesscurlyQ<3

this is my type of post. I discontinued relaxers september of 09 after i went through many bob and haircuts to achieve long lengths and failed even though i LOVED the cuts. I learned that my natural hair growth was too thick/strong as opposed to my relaxed hair that was not. I bc'd april of 2010 and now i see that my hair is really starting to grow in nice and thick. My natural hair has a natural shine to it that my relaxed hair didn't, and i can already see it growing longer than it has ever been, besides when i was younger and i only got relaxers like once a year. one thing i love is that i have ALL of my edges, and i believe they're still growing, and my nape is growing long. I love being able to wash my hair and not worry about straightening all the time or blow drying. i just two strand twist , or i just wear sew-ins as protective styling until i reach a nice length, which i believe will be shortly.

Here is a review i did on my hair so far being 1 year 2 months without a relaxer. I plan to do my next review by next june 11, on my birthday.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/hair-care-tips-product-review-discussion/506293-1-year-2-months-natural-4b-hair.html

Enyo

I'm more of a 4a, but I am subbing and supporting this thread! Grow, Ladies, Grow!!!

Pooks

Oh, I forgot to say that I try to prepoo with EVCO for at least 2 hours or so before shampooing.

Here are a few recent pictures of my hair:

Stretched, the longest layer of my hair was about 1 and a bit inches past APL last time I checked, I wanna grow it to at least BSL, probably longer.

Hmm, I used to use wheatgerm oil in my DCs, but now I take it in my egg shake daily.

@Successfulmiss I love your hair, very pretty!

@yodie - How long have you been natural? Congrats! I guess the avi fooled me, and I've been MIA from the board for a bit.

Last edited:

Babylilac

Another 4B waving here !!!!!!
VeePickin you know I love your hair ,I wish you were my neighbour and you will hook up my hair everyday !!!
I bcied in March 09 then again in May 09 to nearly baldie.I have not managed to retain any length so I really need all the help that I can get.I have been hiding my hair and have been in braids for the past two two months and I have managed a little bit of retension.
Wash and deep condtion twice a week
Moisturise with shea butter and tallian wajiid mist modifier .
I am looking for the most mind blowing moisturising deep conditoner .Anyone help!!!

Pooks

Thanks Babylilac :)

Moisturising DC's I love are Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose and White Camellia. Prepooing with an oil before shampooing makes a real difference for me too because it doesn't allow the poo to dry your hair out as much in the first place.

Do you use heat/steam during your DC? I usually really feel a difference when I prepoo, and use heat whilst DCing

Babylilac

Thanks Babylilac :)

Moisturising DC's I love are Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose and White Camellia. Prepooing with an oil before shampooing makes a real difference for me too because it doesn't allow the poo to dry your hair out as much in the first place.

Do you use heat/steam during your DC? I usually really feel a difference when I prepoo, and use heat whilst DCing

See heat/steam are my downfalls I was looking at which steamer /dryer to buy as I do not have one .Do you know of any good brands besides babyliss and aphfrodite
I will try the Aubrey Organics conditioner let me if I can order one now.I prepoo with rice bran oil then deep conditon without heat and it is not helping at all.Many thanks girl

Ms Lala

Re: Now Forming an Army of FUTURE SUPER-LONG HAIR 4B (or mostly 4b) NATURALS! Come on

This is a neat thread. I am a 4a/b mix. I can't say that I have more or less than the other my strand really do have characteristics of both 4a&b. Here are some pics.

Stretched out fro
fro4.JPG

Twistout pony
twistoutpony.jpg

Video showing my shrinkage, ffwd to 3:15 in the vid to see the shrinkage,
I couldn't figure out how to post only a short clip of the video so I'm linking to it
[video]http://www.youtube.com/naturalhairgrowth101#p/u/3/PjhwlCJIKIQ[/video]