can i Microwave henna for quick release?

Ladyhenri

Its been four hours since i made my henna paste and i am itching to give henna a go but it hasnt released yet. I CANNOT wait another 8 hours.

I cant use my oven (long story) and i am toying with the idea of putting the damned mixture in the microwave. Any ideas on this? Is my microwave or the henna or both gonna explode??

i don't think so, i read somewhere that the microwave destroys the Lawsone( the pigment/dye molecule) in henna

i am trying to find the link for you

brb

WomanlyCharm

Are you going for color or the conditioning effects? If all you want is conditioning, go ahead and use it right now.
If you want color, you'll still get some after letting it sit for fjust our hours. Trust me, wear gloves, it will stain!

Ladyhenri

Thanks for your responses...Im hoping to get colour from my henna mix, I also hope that my hair gets stronger and more conditioned in the process

....Does any one know how to tell when the dye in the henna has released?
If staring could make that stuff release, it would be well ready by now:perplexed

Last edited:

Ladyhenri

destiny616 said:
i don't think so, i read somewhere that the microwave destroys the Lawsone( the pigment/dye molecule) in henna

i am trying to find the link for you

brb

Thats a shame...i was reaaallly tempted to put the mix in the microwave...:ohwell:

Do you thing this will still be the case if i reduce the heat in the microwave?
Its odd that the oven can be used but the microwave cant....

The link will be highly appreciated.x

ThursdayGirl

Henrietta said:
Thnaks for your responses...Im hoping to get colour from my henna mix, I also hope that my hair gets stronger and more conditioned in the process

....Does any one know how to tell when the dye in the henna has released?
If staring could make that stuff release, it would be well ready by now:perplexed

I have done henna for my hair twice in the last month and used it for mehndi before that. When mine is ready it goes from an army/pea green color to brownish green/brown.

I'm not sure what kind you're using or how you've mixed it, but these things may help:

1. its winter - I put mine on top of my radiator/by the heat vents in the house. That way I get gentle heat without cooking the henna. I use Jamila brand.

2. add some acid - I use ACV, other people use lemon juice, hot tea. or citric acid extract- be careful though too much acid can dry your hair out.

3. add peppermint or tea tree oil - I use peppermint since it helps the dye stain and makes the mix smell better.

P.S. You could try microwaving... but only if you zap it on low for like 30 sec or less, then stir... and repeat. Its important not to cook the henna. Conversely if your mix is thick...you could just try adding a heated liquid, but this will also thin it.

HTH.

Last edited:

Ladyhenri

ThursdayGirl said:
When mine is ready it goes from an army/pea green color to brownish green/brown.

I'm not sure what kind you're using or how you've mixed it, but these things may help:

1. its winter - I put mine on top of my radiator/by the heat vents in the house. That way I get gentle heat without cooking the henna. I use Jamila brand.

2. add some acid - I use ACV, other people use lemon juice, hot tea. or citric acid extract- be careful though too much acid can dry your hair out.

3. add peppermint or tea tree oil - I use peppermint since it helps the dye stain and makes the mix smell better.

HTH.

hey girl, and thanks for this, it certainly helps cos i now know what i am hoping to see when staring at my henna mix:grin:

I got mine from mehandi and its BAQ.
I mixed with quite a few things though (Amla oil, orange juice,juice from 3/4 of one lemon, honey, and some condish) hope this doesnt slow down the dye release..
The amla oil darkened it a bit once i put it in and the colour is currently dark mossy green with a teeeny hint of brown.:confused::confused:

I guess patience has never been one of my finer points:)

ThursdayGirl

Henrietta said:
hey girl, and thanks for this, it certainly helps cos i now know what i am hoping to see when staring at my henna mix:grin:

I got mine from mehandi and its BAQ.
I mixed with quite a few things though (Amla oil, orange juice,juice from 3/4 of one lemon, honey, and some condish) hope this doesnt slow down the dye release..
The amla oil darkened it a bit once i put it in and the colour is currently dark mossy green with a teeeny hint of brown.:confused::confused:

I guess patience has never been one of my finer points:)

If you're seeing a hint of brown its on its way... but yeah, you have some time to wait. :) . Good luck!

Ladyhenri

The directions say to wait 12 hours but i wanna do my hair tonight cos i'm working tomorrow and most of next week:(

ThursdayGirl

Henrietta said:
The directions say to wait 12 hours but i wanna do my hair tonight cos i'm working tomorrow and most of next week:(

Do you have a radiator? Or a sunny window sill? Maybe a room in your apt. is hotter than one of the others? Or is your car parked in the sun, so the inside is pretty warm? heating it will help, but, again you want gentle heat.

angellazette

TO help with dye release, I do the following...

add warm water and acv
sit the mixture in a sunny window OR
turn the oven on low and sit the mixture on top of the oven

by sitting it in the window and using warm liquids I had dye release within two hours.

ETA I sit under a hooded dryer while the mixture is in also.

Last edited:

keluric

The acid from lemon juice or ACV can dry out your hair.. you can combat this, of course, with a conditioning treatment. If you want to avoid that, use amla oil.. the acid in it will help the dye release. Also, I believe henna can release while it's on your head if it's already partially there.