Genuine African Formula Products

BlkMane

Has anyone used these products?

Some of you know that I've been searching for a leave-in (spray) to moisturize/stimulate my scalp containing Rosemary & Sage. I was going to make something myself, but when I went to the health food store today I noticed these Genuine African Formula products.

I bought this item:

It is exactly what I had been looking for. I MIGHT add a little more Rosemary to it and I might add in some more powdered sulfur as well, but the ingredients sound great:
Purified water, herbal extracts from Bay Leaf, Clary Sage, Cedar Wood, Rosemary, Nettle, Patchouli, Lavender, Maidenhair, Acetamide MEA, Hydrolyzed Collagen Linoleate, Linoleic Acid, Arachidonic, Acid Sorbitol, Wheat Germ Oil, Jojoba Oil, Panthenol, Soluble Sulfur and Vitamine E.

I must admit I don't know what Acetamide MEA, Arachidonic, Acid Sorbitol are, but I'm going to look them up.

Has anyone used this? It says to apply to the scalp at night so that the formula can work overnight.

From the website: This Super Active hair tonic is the ultimate in conditioning, moisturizing and corrective treatment. Made from a combination of natural herbal extracts, precious plant and seed oils, vegetable proteins, vitamins and minerals, it helps revitalize dormant hair roots, repairs and corrects damaged hair shafts, restores and maintains moisture balance, soothes and tones the scalp, conditions the lengths and ends of the hair and replaces vital proteins, vitamins, natural oils and minerals lost during washing. It also helps to balance the acidity of the hair and scalp and works equally well on brittle hair and split ends. It wworks not just on the surface, but deep down in the hair structure, where it is readily absorbed and retained. The use of Super Active Hair Tonic also helps revitalize and strengthen fine or weak hair. We intend it for use in the evening before retiring, with vigorous massage of the scalp after shampooing and rinsing. Is your hair thinning or dying young? Are you losing it prematurely? Is your scalp itchy, dry, or oily, riddled with dandruff and irritation? If action is not taken in time your hair may begin to thin and your scalp to develop the problem of hair loss. Arrest the situation with Super-Active Hair Tonic and watch your hair grow healthy from its active ingredients of naturally derived herbal extracts and vegetable esters, plant emolients, vegetable proteins and natural vitamins plus essential hair nutrients. Its unique formulation revitalizes dormant hair roots, increases blood circulation to the scalp and reduces excessive hair fallout. It stimulates the scalp and bathes the hair roots and shaft in a rich complex of herbal mixture that is the optimum for creating the conditions for your hair to naturally replace itself and grow. The use of Super-Active Hair Tonic also helps strengthen fine or weak hair.

Allandra

I haven't tried it. However, I agree. The ingredients sounds great. Please let us know how it works out for you.

adrienne0914

hey, i'm also anxious to hear how this work!!! maybe it would help with my psoriasis. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

here's what i found on those ingredients that you wanted to find out about:

Acetamide MEA: Water soluble conditioning agent compatible with anionic and nonanionic systems as opposed to quaternary surfactants compatible only with cationics, adds shine.

Arachidonic acid: This is an unsaturated fatty acid which is found in the body of animals, including humans. It is used commonly as an emulsifying ingredient and products which are typically aimed at soothing rashes such as eczema.

Sorbitol: This is a humectant and gives a smooth feel to the skin. Currently it is used instead of glycerin in many ointments. <font color="blue">[this is the closest appropriate ingredient i could find.]</font color>

i'm really intrigued now... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne

hairfanatic

Hi BlkMane,

Yes, I have used most of the products. I used to use them exclusively when I lived in Chicago and my husband and children use some of them now. I have:

African Bee Pollen High Quality Shampoo (nice)

African Shea Butter Super Lite (use to press my hair with this last year. It's somewhat heavy but when my edges were thinning it worked really well)

Ingredients: African Shea Butter, West African Palm Oil and Coca Butter, precious oils of Oilive, Almond, Peanut and Wheat Germ, Bees wax, Botanical extracts of Lemon, Watercress, Ivy, Burdock; Biotin, Inositol, Karatin, Vitamin C and E, and citrus seed estract.

African Shea Butter Super Soft Lotion

Used this when I washed and wear. It's really thin almost like water and you really have to shake up the bottle but when you pour it in your hands and rub them together, it's oily, but it works.

Ingredients: Pruified water, African Palm Oil, Oilive Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Apricot Oil, Jojoba Oil, Anhydrous Lanolin, Calcium Stearoyl lactate, Sodium isostearoyl lactate, African shea butter, peg-20, hydrogenated lanolin, botanical extracts of Amica, sea kelp, nettle, rosemary, lemon watercress, burdock root, wintergreen, vegetable glycerin, biotin, de-patheon, lecithin, inositol, wheat germ protein, benzophenone-3, vitamins A, D and E.

Bio Pure Deep Conditioning Hot Oil Treatment and Hair and Scalp ReNourishing Oil. I have used both of these. Although I didn't see a real difference in the two because I used the ReNourishing Oil as a Hot oil treatment and it worked well.

Bio Pure hair and Scalp Repair Shampoo. This stuff stinks really bad but if your hair is extremely damaged (I mean tow up from the flow up). I works wonders!

Botanigel Hair Builder
This was okay but it was kind of sticky

Corretive High Potency Root Conditioner
This is a very good conditioner, you will be able to see a difference in your first use. If you order, you want to get at least 2 or 3 of these because it only comes in 4 ounce sizes.

Super Grow Hair Gel.

I think it's a good hair gel, but the only thing I didn't like is when it sits it molds. Even when you put it in the refrigerator it still molds.

Organic Curl Maintenance Shampoo

This is my husband's and boys all time favorite! When I switch up I use it too.

It detangles, softens and it only takes a little. An 8 ounce will last a good month.

Ingredients: Purified water, Wild Honey, African Soap Plant and Soapberry Fruits, Papaya, Yucca Root, Wild Gourd Fruits, Sea kelp, Pepper Grass, Juniper Leaves, Jaborandi and Horseradish, Oil of Nutmeg, Safflower Oil, African Shea butter, Virgin Oilive and West African Palm Butter, Soy Protein, Biotin, Soluble Collagen, Vitamins A, C, &amp; E, extract of citrus seeds and vegetable fragrance

iris

Hey BlkMane and Hairfanatic. I thank you two so much for posting all the ingredients to these products. Wow, the patience it took to do all of this. This is why I love coming to this forum. It's women like you two who go out of their way to help sista's like me /images/graemlins/grin.gif! You are absolutely appreciated /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

<font color="red">Iris</font color>

hiddy3

BlkMne,
I like the Shea Butter Super Lite a lot for my ends. It works really well on my four year old daughter's natural hair. It's a thick hair "grease" type product made with really good ingredients.
I did like the Shea Butter Super Soft Lotion though. Just couldn't take the strong smell of it (even after adding some essential oils). I also thought it was too watery for my hair.

Pallas

BlkMane

Adrienne-

Thanks soooooooo much for posting that information! You saved me some work! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I washed my hair last night. A few hours ago I sprayed some of the tonic on my scalp in one section of my hair to see what would happen (it's really watery, so I wanted to see if it would frizz my hair). I made sure to NOT comb it through, I just parted my hair in sections, sprayed and pulled it back. It's dry now, but I haven't checked it in the mirror yet. I'll post any results/news next weekend.

BTW, Iris, Your are so sweet! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

LondonDiva

Blkmane the ingredients sound really good. I don't think I can get this brand in london, but it's worth a try. Please keep us posted with your progress on this scalp spray.

BlkMane

UPDATE:

I've been spraying the liquid tonic on my scalp at night. It DOES NOT FRIZZ my hair (but I do make sure NOT to comb thru the length.) And my roots (new growth) feel very soft!! I like this stuff so far. I'll let you all know if I notice any increased growth after two months.

kasey

BlkMane,

Hey grrl.

I saw the Super Active Tonic in a store today. Can you give us all an update on your experience with it? About two months have passed since your initial post. Thanks.

--kasey

BlkMane

Hi, unfortunately I have not been using the product consistently. I'm trying to remember now why I stopped..hmmm, I think even though I ORIGINALLY posted that it didn't frizz my hair, it did make my hair "poofy" if I used it everyday. The product is VERY watery.

Unless you are wearing your hair natural or in a curly-style, this stuff can upset your "do." If I were you, I would try it though.

You just gave me an idea...I might spray it on my WET hair before roller-setting to see how that works. (BTW, the product says to spray it on your hair EVERYDAY.)

LondonDiva

Blkmane, I hope you get the results you want on wet hair. My Kemi Oyl conditioning spray is like that and the ingredients base is very good. If I airdry and spray this on before it works wonders. /images/graemlins/clap.gif If I spray it on my hair once dry, nothing! /images/graemlins/nono.gif

so1913

Anyone else use these products? Opinions? I pulled out my Let-it-grow Conditioner Rinse this morning that was buried in my sea of products and used it for my conditioner wash. It's very thin, but does detangle well, leaves hair soft, and light fresh scent. I have the shampoo (gotta dig that out too). Haven't used enough to conclude on anything. I don't have the tonic mentioned in the OP.

scorpian

I have the african shea butter conditioning shampoo

ingredients:purified water,Coconut and Olive oil soap,extract of Quillaya bark,Liquid Soya protein and coconut fatty acid,aloe vera,African shea butter,jojoba and olive oil,panthenol vitamin c and e

I also have the super grow hair gel
ingredients :purified water,wild bee honey,coconut oil,west african shea butter,virgin olive oil,basil,safflower and peach oil,extracts of peach leaves,birch,coltsfoot,horsetail,calendula blossoms,rosemary,onion juice,vegetable proteins,biotin,allantoin,panthenol,natural glycerin,na-PCA,vitamins a,b,c,e,natural preservatives,and vegetable aroma

I've used these products on my daughter during the warmer months

the gel can be used like grease for the scalp to grow the hair
the gels formula was changed and the new one doesn't mold but it doesn't seem as effective for hair growth as the old formula so I use it to hold the edges of puffs and ponytails down
the shampoo works just like elasta qp's conditioning shampoo