Perm That Won't Dry out Hair/Bald Spot Issue

Country gal

Ladies can you recommend a perm that won't dry out my friend's hair. She also has a bald spot that she messes with. She gets a perm every 7 weeks. Her hair stylist puts a procclaim in her hair and doesn't overlap the perm. She went to a trichologist who eaximned her scalp. She said the perm was drying her scalp. She said it was a frrm alapecia (sp). She recommended a $95 perm that she gets from France. The trichologist says she will apply the perm. Recommended not to do sit under hood dryers because they dry out the hair. She said she will blow dry because it is faster and less drying. No protein treatments becuase it dries out the hair. I told her she needs to just come here but she don't want to listen. She promises to finally check out the thread. I need my experts to chime in.

Last edited:

ThursdayGirl

That perm... is it Phytorelaxer?

You know... If she has a bald spot... she probably should be seeking other alternatives than a perm. I am surprised her Trichologist is going to be a party to this.

Country gal

I asked her "you still want to get a perm":confused: ? She says she can't go longer than 7 weeks because her hair is too kinky. I also told her she wears her hair out to often. She always wears it straight, no buns or roller sets.

Miss*Tress

7 weeks is a really short interval. It sounds like your friend needs to learn how to manage her NG better.

arizona

CG,
I had that same issue. Your friend may have a thyroid problem. The only thing that has worked is MTG. I've always had healthy hair and everyone said it was one thing or the other... the perm, not enough moisture, wearing my hair out, wearing my hair in a bun, crossing my eyes....etc. :whyme: I also found that my diet had alot to do with regulating my thyroid problem which is why I haven't had to be put on medication so far.

By the way: I still perm and my hair is fine. If you notice on my pics, they look thin in the middle, that's because that is where my bald spot used to be. I could always cover it up, but now I don't need to.

HTH,

Divine Inspiration

Hmmm...I think she'd have much better luck if she let go of the relaxer...at least for a year or so to let her hair breathe and have a break from the chemicals.

If she came to LHCF, she could definitely find new ways of dealing with her new growth instead of running to a relaxer every time she saw a kink.

Also, how long does she plan to blowdry and not do protein treatments? A month or so of that and my hair would be actin a donkey...you may want to remind her that although she wants to eliminate the bald spot, she doesn't want to lose the hair she already has. :ohwell:

Country gal

Arizona, I will tell her about your thyroid problem.

Thanks for the advice. I agree that she should stretch her perms longer than 7 weeks.

LovelyZ

I am really uncomfortable with the trichologist advice. Blowdrying healthier than hooded dryer????? I think she should seek a second opinion and in the meantime learn to deal with a little new growth.

*ElleB

LovelyZ said:
I am really uncomfortable with the trichologist advice. Blowdrying healthier than hooded dryer????? I think she should seek a second opinion and in the meantime learn to deal with a little new growth.

:eek: That's what I said!! I'm not an expert, but I would venture to say that hood dryer is not more drying than a blowdryer! It's the other way around...Wow, I definitely say get a second opinion...And, if she has dry hair, a relaxer is not a good option, no matter how different it may be. Relaxers suck the moisture out of your hair, and if thinness is a problem, perming every 7 weeks is only going to worsen it. If she is going to relax, she should try the ORS Olive Oil perm... It has the GREAT Replenishing Pack Condish in it which is wonderful for puttin the moisture back in the hair after the chemical process... Or have u suggested a good flat-iron?

HTH

Country gal

Well, she got her regular stylist to perm her hair this weekend. :eek: She won't take my advice to stretch her perm. She hasn't even come to the site yet. Magic pill syndrome. :confused:

myco

If she is dealing with a continually dry scalp, she might want to start with her diet - like adding EFA's to her diet. That might help alleviate her dry scalp issues and help her newgrowth come in softer so that she can go longer in between her relaxers.

I agree with everyone else though, I don't think taking high heat and applying tension in the form of a round brush or comb attachment is going to help her bald spot. Her "trichologist" sounds like she was fishing for clients. At the very least she should have given her a regimen to heal her hair and scalp first before putting another relaxer into it.

cheri_flava74

I think that maybe the trichologist was saying that sitting under the dryer would dry out her SCALP more than blow drying because it would not take as long to blow dry as it does to dry the hair under a dryer (which is constant heat on the scalp for 45 min to 1 hr) especially if you air dry some before you blowdry. We all know that drying our hair under a hooded dryer is healthier for the HAIR. I think that maybe she should have taking a break from relaxers and concentrated on scalp treatments. However she decides to deal with her hair I wish her the best of luck.