BRAZILIAN KERATIN TREATMENT / TANAGRA - Permanent Hair Repair

bbmatl

Has anyone heard or done this? It’s “supposed" to be a natural way to straighten and repair your hair by adding Keratin.

From what i understand, it "adds keratin into the damaged areas of the hair structure filling them completely. Then the nanomolecules are locked into the hair with another mist, forming permanent and insoluble keratin, just like nature's own! The result is beautiful, soft and silky hair in superb condition with an incredible shine. The hair instantly becomes healthier and more manageable."

It looks very interesting and I would love to consider this as an option to wearing my hair straight longer. They wash the hair first, slightly blow dry the hair, apply the product, blow dry the hair leaving the product in and finish with the flat iron.

My questions would be:
1. Is it safe for natural hair?
2. How long dose it last?
3. Would it eventually remove the curl pattern from the hair?

On some websites they compare it to the Japanese straightening technique but with out the chemicals. Plus the Japanese treatment is not recommended for “our” hair type.

There is a difference in the Brazilian Keratin Treatment and the Brazilian Keratin Straightening Treatment I think that one last longer than the other. It has also been to called "Tanagra"...not sure if that's a brand name with the same technique.

From what i read this process is new to the states but mostly done in Florida.

hothair

My beauty salon (NW London) offers this treatment, i remember them telling me to try but figured it probably only worked for Asian hair (majority of their clientelle) I just asked the price and it's about 50 pounds/ treatment and you need 3 treatments for a month, the treatment then lasts a year.

I think I'll do this after i get my braids out and my colour done :yay: quite excited will let you guys know when i've done this....

ETA: I know it repairs but don't know about straightening, I've got 4ab natural hair so will let you guys know.
Just found a review of this process http://www.handbag.com/hair/haircare/tanagra-hair-repair-treatment/

Last edited:

ashiah

From what I learned, there's a protein treatment and a straightening treatment. The strictly protein one doesn't straighten. The straightening one straightens the hair and it (supposedly) lasts for about 2-3 months.

stacy

Well, which one did the other poster's friend get in this thread? http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=119289
That's my dilemma-are the two treatments the same? Tanagra uses a special machine to infuse the treatment in the hair; but the other just seems to be a solution applied w/o a machine. Are the solutions the same, but with the special machine, the results are better and longer lasting? And, with the other applied w/o the machine, you need to come back each week? I guess we need to email some company execs or something.

mslondon

This treatment is offered at my salon (£35) and have been meaning to do it for a while. My natural hair is breaking and thought it could help.

IMO it is a protein treatment and can be used on curly,straight and afro hair it doesn't permanently straighten hair.
http://www.tanagra4hair.com/

from site

Approximately 90% of human hair is made up of a complex natural protein called keratin which is responsible for the hair's strength, resistance to wear and tear, elasticity, flexibility and shine.

Hair keratin is damaged by straighteners, colours, perms, blow-drying, the sun, pollution, pool chemicals and even everyday brushing. This can make the hair feel coarse and look out of condition, dull and lifeless, as well as making it difficult to manage. Under an electron microscope this damage can be recognised in the form of cracks, splits and craters in the hair, as can be seen in this highly magnified hair strand. Now, with a breakthrough in advanced nanotechnology, scientists in Brazil have developed a brand new and permanent hair repair system that can ‘turn back the clock' and restore your hair structure back to how nature intended it to be, soft, shiny and healthy.

The state-of-the-art TANAGRA system uses nanomolecular keratin, particles so small that you could get millions onto a pin-head! An incredibly fine and powerful penetrating mist inserts them into the damaged areas of the hair structure filling them completely. Then the nanomolecules are locked into the hair with another mist, forming permanent and insoluble keratin, just like nature's own!
The result is beautiful, soft and silky hair in superb condition with an incredible shine. The hair instantly becomes healthier and more manageable. The TANAGRA system quite literally puts life back into the hair!

Repair is approximately 80% effective on the first application, 90% on the second and 100% on the third application! Regular top-up treatments are recommended every 3-4 months and will keep the hair in a beautifully soft, healthy condition.
Ordinary hair conditioners and treatments sometimes contain protein molecules, but they are too large to penetrate deep into the hair structure to be completely effective and of course, they can wash out whenever the hair is shampooed. The TANAGRA system uses the same keratin protein as would be found in your hair, but in its smallest possible size, which is then locked in to the hair structure for permanent repair. TANAGRA is quite simply the fastest, most technically advanced and efficient hair repair system in the world!
All hair types benefit from this new technology, but the most dramatic results are seen in extremely damaged or porous hair.

hothair

mslondon said:
This treatment is offered at my salon (£35) and have been meaning to do it for a while. My natural hair is breaking and thought it could help.

Did you do the treatment and where is your salon?

blazingthru

I am so interested in these products. I went to the brazil site but, I didn't understand it I need specifics what are we going to order? Listen to me I do not even know what the conversations is really all about I would love to try the repair more then the straightener only becuase its cost to much 1. I sweat 2. I never know when I am going to start getting overheated and so its not a good ideal for me not to get my hair wet for a week would be so hard. So I rather do the repair. I really want to know PM me somebody and let me know. Thanks, Iill check back in about 6 hours

nycutiepie

This process definitely looks interesting and that site states that it can be used on chemically treated as well as natural hair. NAVSEGDA (sp?) is a scientist that's on this site so maybe she will chime in with her opinion.

seraphim712

I would love to try this. I'm glad that it can used on Afro-hair too!!! Too bad it's not in Atlanta right now.

winterinatl

All natural!
I sent an email to the one in South Carolina. This is worth a day trip to me. I asked how much it would cost for my length of hair. Depending on the cost, I could see traveling 2-3 times a year...depending also on how well it works!! I'll let you know if they respond.

MonaRae

winterinatl said:
I sent an email to the one in South Carolina. This is worth a day trip to me. I asked how much it would cost for my length of hair. Depending on the cost, I could see traveling 2-3 times a year...depending also on how well it works!! I'll let you know if they respond.

:eek: Where in South Carolina? :eek:

Mystic

I got some information on this product. I am thinking of becoming a distributor. Basically, they sell to salons. There is an upfront fee to become a distributor - approximately $2500. The salon kit is $689 for 18 applications - this includes the machine. Subsequent cost is $299 for the product. For damaged hair it is recommended to do 3 applications for the 1st month and less after that - about every 6 weeks or so. Always do a treatment after every relaxer or color. This is because the effects of the color and relaxer eliminate the treatment from the hair so it bests to do the treatment after these chemicals. There are salons in the US that use it but I don't think it's marketed to many as yet.

I have never sold cosmetics products before but this product looks phenomenal. I would like to purchase the salon kit first and try it out on my hair to see the result. The only thing is, my hair is so short..., too bad I cut it off before testing this product. Oh well....

Last edited:

bbmatl

i did some research and emailed someone who specializes in this and as far as natural African American hair they said that:

"The BKT (BRAZILIAN KERATIN TREATMENT) will give very temporary results on virgin African American hair. Much will depend upon the tightness of the curl pattern and how closed the cuticle is.Results will usually only last a month or so on this hair type.
This treatment will work best on hair that has been chemically treated. The Keratin need to penetrate the hair shaft and this is most effectively achieved when the hair has been previously opened by prior chemical treatments. One way to address this hair type would be to use a mild sodium relaxer first to achieve some smoothness and open the cuticle. Next the BKT can be applied to achieve great condition and and a silkier look.Because this is Keratin based it can be applied over the relaxer on the same day with no chance of damage.
You can then expect to see results for 2-3 months . Again much will depend on the original curl pattern , how quickly the hair grows, and the hair texture.

So my next question is: will it just loosen the curl pattern giving it a more texturized look? (i'm hoping so b/c i would love to achieve the "texturized look w/o chemicals) - i'm waiting for a reply....

winterinatl

All natural!
Mystic said:
I got some information on this product. I am thinking of becoming a distributor. Basically, they sell to salons. There is an upfront fee to become a distributor - approximately $2500. The salon kit is $689 for 18 applications - this includes the machine. Subsequent cost is $299 for the product. For damaged hair it is recommended to do 3 applications for the 1st month and less after that - about every 6 weeks or so. Always do a treatment after every relaxer or color. This is because the effects of the color and relaxer eliminate the treatment from the hair so it bests to do the treatment after these chemicals. There are salons in the US that use it but I don't think it's marketed to many as yet.

I have never sold cosmetics products before but this product looks phenomenal. I would like to purchase the salon kit first and try it out on my hair to see the result. The only thing is, my hair is so short..., too bad I cut it off before testing this product. Oh well....

I feel you on this girl. I'm so glad you posted this info.

I spoke to a distributor in South Carolina, it turns out. He gave me the number to a place in Dallas, GA . Which I will in fact travel to. But honestly those prices you have up there have me thinking...

newflowers

I requested information for salons that use the product in So Cal - no response yet. I would love to try this process after I finsh C&Ging and relax again.

This product and our quest to find it, find out more information, etc. brings to mind that it seems so few cosmetic and comecutecal companies market specifically to black women, yet, research has shawn that black women spend more money on hair care than any other ethnicity.

Interesting.

gn1g

this sounds like one of those 7 day perms, or any of the natural perms with keratin mixed in.

LongLocksBoca

I just had it done @ Mario & Co. in Boca. Anyone is South Florida thinking about having this done, I would highly recommend this salon. The stylists name who performed my treatment was Lori, and she walked me through the whole process and made me feel totally comfortable!

It has been several weeks, and my hair is perfectly straight! It comes out of the shower and stays straight, no frizz, and it dries much more quickly!

Definitely get it done, it is SO worth it! I can't believe I used to iron/blow dry every day to get these results!

Not anymore!!

Proudpiscean

LongLocksBoca said:
I just had it done @ Mario & Co. in Boca. Anyone is South Florida thinking about having this done, I would highly recommend this salon. The stylists name who performed my treatment was Lori, and she walked me through the whole process and made me feel totally comfortable!

It has been several weeks, and my hair is perfectly straight! It comes out of the shower and stays straight, no frizz, and it dries much more quickly!

Definitely get it done, it is SO worth it! I can't believe I used to iron/blow dry every day to get these results!

Not anymore!!

Got any pics? :D