Not ALL conditioners can DEEP condition!!

envybeauty

I have noticed some ladies refer to deep conditioning their hair simply by putting a regular conditioner on their hair and letting it sit for a while. Some conditioners will NEVER DEEP CONDITION your hair no matter how LONG you leave it!

Regular conditioners just work on the surface of your hair shaft --they do not penetrate it. Deep conditioners penetrate the hair shaft to provide conditioning from within. Letting a regular conditioner just sit on your hair will NEVER DEEP CONDITION your hair!

Think of this analogy: conditioner is to rinse/cellophane/henna as
deep conditioner is to permanent color/highlights.
A rinse will not permanently color your hair no matter how long you leave it on your head.

Make sure you are applying a DEEP conditioner when you want to DEEP CONDITION!

http://motowngirl.com/deep_conditioners.php
http://www.haircompounds.com/userimages/Ionproddesc.htm

Miss.Que

Thanks for the tip. I was under the impression that I could use any conditioner for a deep conditioning treatment. I am constantly learning new things from this site.

preciousjewel76

I recall reading a post in another thread that said a "deep conditioner" is one that explicitly states to leave the product on the hair for at least 10-15 minutes.

Ms Lala

I didn't know this. THanks for posting. Can you all name some brands that are actually deep conditioners. All this time I have been using regular condish.

navsegda

preciousjewel76 said:
I recall reading a post in another thread that said a "deep conditioner" is one that explicitly states to leave the product on the hair for at least 10-15 minutes.

This is true. When I deep condition I use two deep conditioners that state this on the back and then I top them off with hair mayonnaise and sit for like 25 minutes.

gymfreak336

navsegda said:
This is true. When I deep condition I use two deep conditioners that state this on the back and then I top them off with hair mayonnaise and sit for like 25 minutes.

So you deep condition and then add hair mayo for another 25? Sounds good, I might have to try this

navsegda

gymfreak336 said:
So you deep condition and then add hair mayo for another 25? Sounds good, I might have to try this

Actually, I put the two deep conditioners on, then the hair mayonnaise, and sit with all three for like 25 minutes.

However, the way you interpreted it sounds good. I might try putting the two deep conditioners on first and sitting for 25 minutes, then rinsing, then putting on the hair mayonnaise and sitting for another 25 and rinsing.

gymfreak336

navsegda said:
Actually, I put the two deep conditioners on, then the hair mayonnaise, and sit with all three for like 25 minutes.

However, the way you interpreted it sounds good. I might try putting the two deep conditioners on first and sitting for 25 minutes, then rinsing, then putting on the hair mayonnaise and sitting for another 25 and rinsing.

What conditioners do you use?? I might have to do this for my next wash

gymfreak336

anky said:
I agree: you'll never see me deep conditioning with VO5.

I don't know why I started laughing when I saw this:lachen: But ITA, You could use a whole bottle of the stuff and it wouldn't make a difference.

babyblue

i agree. I see people say they deep condition with thin runny conditioners like suave and vo5 and i'm like are u serious??????? yeah they may may close the cuticle and help detangle but the benefit is short term.

when i think of deep conditioning i think of an intensive treatment thats supposed to strenghten and/or moisturize.

Gryphyn

I use LeKair Cholesterol as a deep conditioner. It only says to leave on for 2 minutes, rinse out, and repeat the conditioning process. I've always thought cholesterol conditioners (LeKair, Queen Helene) were deep conditioners, but I never realized this one says 4 minutes total:confused: . I leave it on for like half an hour sometimes!

navsegda

gymfreak336 said:
What conditioners do you use?? I might have to do this for my next wash

I use Motions After-Shampoo Moisture Plus Conditioner and Doo Gro Deep Down Intense Penetrating Conditioner.

Mizani_Mrs

i remember reading about this in Cathy Howse' book. She says that for deep conditioning, look for a conditioner that specifically states 'deep conditioning' or 'intense' or instructions say to leave on for 15mins or so. The difference of those V05 conditioners or whatever, is that they are 'instant' conditioners. the purpose of these conditioners is to coat the hair to give it the appearance of shine and help with detangling and smoothing. But the purpose of a deep conditioner is to penetrate the shaft and impart moisture and protein to the hairshaft and eventually improve the health of the hair. Which probably explains why sometimes My V05 softens my hair a little better than my mizani hydrafuse deep cond... :perplexed

I wish i can figure out if Humecto is a deep cond or not. because it coats the hair and helps with detangling, but i wonder if this is all i need to impart strength and moisture to my hair strands...

Last edited:

LynnieB

another reason why i luv aubrey organics honeysuckle rose.

Directions:
Shake well before using. After shampooing, apply to damp hair and work through, concentrating on the ends. Leave on for 1 to 2 minutes, then rinse. For deep conditioning: Apply to dry hair and distribute from scalp to ends. Leave on for 15 minutes, then shampoo and condition hair as usual.

1 product can do it all for one price.

:wink2:

SpiritJunkie

Sweetg said:
what are the key ingrediants to look for in a deep conditioner?

what are the differences between the 2?

Umm...okay so the only way to know the difference is by reading the instructions...cool. No one knows the key ingrediant that is common in all?

I wouldn't use Suave, v05or any one of those as my Deep conditioner anyway.

BeatriceFly

help!!
i was just going to use redken all soft heavy cream as a deep condtioner
it says leave on 5-15 minutes
what does it make it then?
according to the link, 5 min is not a dc, and 15 min is
help!!

Sha76

LynnieB said:

Directions:
Shake well before using. After shampooing, apply to damp hair and work through, concentrating on the ends. Leave on for 1 to 2 minutes, then rinse. For deep conditioning: Apply to dry hair and distribute from scalp to ends. Leave on for 15 minutes, then shampoo and condition hair as usual.

same with J/a/s/o/n organics.

KiSseS03

Good lookin out OP! I've been a regular on this site for a year now and never heard that one before. Thankfully I have been using a conditioner from the list anyway!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
nvybeauty said:
I have noticed some ladies refer to deep conditioning their hair simply by putting a regular conditioner on their hair and letting it sit for a while. Some conditioners will NEVER DEEP CONDITION your hair no matter how LONG you leave it!

Regular conditioners just work on the surface of your hair shaft --they do not penetrate it. Deep conditioners penetrate the hair shaft to provide conditioning from within. Letting a regular conditioner just sit on your hair will NEVER DEEP CONDITION your hair!

A rinse will not permanently color your hair no matter how long you leave it on your head.

Very good info! I've been wanting to post this for a while because I've seen that a lot of ladies use conditioners such as Suave and V05 to deep condition. I always make sure I deep condition w/ a product that says deep conditioner on the bottle.

preciousjewel76

EbonyPerez said:
help!!
i was just going to use redken all soft heavy cream as a deep condtioner
it says leave on 5-15 minutes
what does it make it then?
according to the link, 5 min is not a dc, and 15 min is
help!!

I think you're safe using this as a deep conditioner; sounds like it can be used as both an instant conditioner and a DC based on the label.

thesweetone

LynnieB said:

Directions:

Co-signing! Between GPB, White Camellia, and Honeysuckle Rose, all my pre-poo, condition, and deep condition needs are met!

I :love: Aubrey Organics!!!!!!

Detangle

Girrrrrrl....thank you for the links. I just recently joined and was thinking of products to shop around for for dp co and recon co. I just got the co washes down and so now its time to step my regime up. Thanks alot for the links. Very informative.:)

nvybeauty said:

Last edited:

glamazon386

navsegda said:

You'll get the same effect if you do them all at once. You might as well continue to do it the same way; it'll save you time. I usually DC with an ORS Pak and Nexxus Humectress (which can be used as a regular con or a deep con per the back of the bottle).