Do volumizing shampoos & conditioners really work?

kaytorry

Do volumizing shampoos, conditioners, etc.. Really work? If so, which ones do you use? If you use other methods to achieve volume, please share.

davisbr88

Depends on the ingredients of the one you're using.
I used to work at LUSH and we had a product called Big shampoo, which used mostly sea salt as the main ingredient. It works by raising the cuticles all along your hair shaft, which cause them to sort of push against each other, creating volume. You can actually see it working when you wash your arm hair with it, so I know that it works.
I honestly would not suggest it for naturally dry/curly hair, however. I think it's just far too drying and damaging, and this is a more natural product. I only recommended it for women with limp, oily, stick straight hair. I can only imagine what the more commercial products might do.
I would try a method like rollersetting or not flat ironing bone straight instead of a product, but that's just my opinion.

melissa-bee

I've read before that there are three main types of shampoo but they are marketed differently.
What is marketed as volumising shampoo is actually a clarifying shampoo.
I don't know how true it is, but it makes sense when you really think about it.

Jetblackhair

I've used a couple of leave ins in the past before blow drying that gave my hair temporary volume, but my hair was dry as a desert & stiff. I've never used a shampoo & conditioner combo for volume.
I currently use Shea Moisture Thickening Growth Milk to give my twistouts a bit of umph.

Seraphina

My hair has a whole lot of volume on it's own, so I haven't tried anything. But I would think that styling technique would be a better bet opposed to product. I just can't imagine what those products could do on their own. Just like I could buy a "straightening" product, but it'll do nothing without me blowing it out and/or flat-ironing it.

The only caveat that I can think of would be henna. It doesn't give hair volume per se, but it makes the strands thicker.